Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Switching modes Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Switching modes Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Switching modes Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Switching modes Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Switching modes Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Switching modes Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Switching modes Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Switching modes Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Switching modes Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Switching modes Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Switching modes Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Switching modes Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Switching modes Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Switching modes Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Switching modes Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Switching modes Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Switching modes Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Switching modes Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Switching modes Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Switching modes Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Switching modes

Go down 
+7
~sciocont
Noitulove
US_of_Alaska
Commander Keen
GamerXA
Invader
DragonEye4
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am

Once Strategy mode is unlocked, how will we switch between it and organism mode? Because even once the species is advanced, we should still be able to play as one organism.

If this is in the wrong place, move it, since it affected two different modes I put it here.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:53 am

I honestly have no clue.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am

Probably by some Largish buttons at the side of the screen.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 3:31 am

Cluttering HUD with those buttons might not be the best idea. How about this:

Escape Key->Menu->Switch to Organism/Strategy/God mode button
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 am

Commander Keen wrote:

Definitely accessible through the menu.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

I'm liking this idea.
It should also prompt you to save if you haven't saved recently, in the form of a classic box reading something along the lines of, 'Do you want to save before switching?' with the options 'Yes' or 'No' beneath. Selecting 'No' will bring up another window asking 'Are you sure?'.

Selecting yes will, of course, let you to continue your journey to another mode without saving. Selecting no will also let you continue your journey, but your game will be saved.

You can then load that mode just the way it was before you switched to the other mode (which you can, in turn, save sometime sooner or later.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 am

Noitulove wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

I'm liking this idea.
It should also prompt you to save if you haven't saved recently, in the form of a classic box reading something along the lines of, 'Do you want to save before switching?' with the options 'Yes' or 'No' beneath. Selecting 'No' will bring up another window asking 'Are you sure?'.

Selecting yes will, of course, let you to continue your journey to another mode without saving. Selecting no will also let you continue your journey, but your game will be saved.

You can then load that mode just the way it was before you switched to the other mode (which you can, in turn, save sometime sooner or later.)
I'd say buttons from a roll-over bar would be best that way, you won't see them until you roll your pointer up to the top of the screen.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I envision something similar to Spore's swap between with Edit, Colour and Test Modes.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm

GamerXA wrote:
I envision something similar to Spore's swap between with Edit, Colour and Test Modes.

Yes, but with smaller, less annoying buttons.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I think we need to think of just how often the player is really going to switch between modes. I know once i hit Strategy Mode i'll only be switching back to Org Mode for some fun or to help out with Societal Changes. And with God Mode becoming a panel, i don't think i'll be changing modes much at all.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:01 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think we need to think of just how often the player is really going to switch between modes. I know once i hit Strategy Mode i'll only be switching back to Org Mode for some fun or to help out with Societal Changes. And with God Mode becoming a panel, i don't think i'll be changing modes much at all.

I'll probably be mostly staying in one mode at a time. I mean, I'll probably get wrapped up in one mode and not want to leave to go to another unless I need to.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 am

Counting in that changing modes will probably involve loading screen, many players will only change when they really need to.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:01 pm

i don't think players will bother changing modes, they should just start a new game or load the planet from any stage in time and play in that mode.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 pm

koiboi59 wrote:
i don't think players will bother changing modes, they should just start a new game or load the planet from any stage in time and play in that mode.

Sorry, but that makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I'll probably be mostly staying in one mode at a time. I mean, I'll probably get wrapped up in one mode and not want to leave to go to another unless I need to.
This proves that we do not need the mode switching panel on the screen at all times.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

This proves that we do not need the mode switching panel on the screen at all times.

I suppose in the middle of the pause menu would be fine.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I suppose in the middle of the pause menu would be fine.
QFTW
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I believe that Strat. should be a panel similar to GTs. (God Tools)
Obsv. will be a camera icon.
And then Org. Mode is just normal Org Mode
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Instead of mode switching, all modes could be merged together.

A Strategy & God mode combined mode with strategy and god tools in one would be simple, and as the god tools are just godly technologies, it would make sense. The organism mode could be accessible by right clicking a unit and selecting some sort of 'manual control', not only making it easier to switch, but also making it easier to choose which organism you control. If we do it so strategy mode is unlockable (not available to begin with) we could start them off controlling a random organism, and use the methods I came up with here (or any other preferred methods):

The Uteen wrote:
So basically like the royal family method (without the sexism), so you go to your oldest (or youngest, maybe an option) offspring, if none are available (dead, falling off a cliff, have arranged their death, etc.), then your siblings, if none, then parents (although if you're not playing as them they will most likely be dead), and if none of them are available, then just your closest living relative.

But might you want the option to play as your wife/husband/husbife(in case of 3 genders)?

And we could have the option to only play as:
  • male
  • female
  • shclemale (futurama reference )
  • certain ranking (eg. queen of hive, prime minister, monarch, worker (of hive), worker class citizen, and a whole lot more)

And this would be minimising loading times (none of them are really separate modes.

The only thing is that this is putting a bit less focus on organism mode, but it is still completely there, so maybe something should be done to bring attention to the option on the right click menu, eg. bright colours, or a small image by it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm

The Uteen wrote:

A Strategy & God mode combined mode with strategy and god tools in one would be simple, and as the god tools are just godly technologies, it would make sense. The organism mode could be accessible by right clicking a unit and selecting some sort of 'manual control', not only making it easier to switch, but also making it easier to choose which organism you control. If we do it so strategy mode is unlockable (not available to begin with) we could start them off controlling a random organism, and use the methods I came up with here (or any other preferred methods):

The Uteen wrote:
So basically like the royal family method (without the sexism), so you go to your oldest (or youngest, maybe an option) offspring, if none are available (dead, falling off a cliff, have arranged their death, etc.), then your siblings, if none, then parents (although if you're not playing as them they will most likely be dead), and if none of them are available, then just your closest living relative.

But might you want the option to play as your wife/husband/husbife(in case of 3 genders)?

• male
  • female
  • certain ranking (eg. queen of hive, prime minister, monarch, worker (of hive), worker class citizen, and a whole lot more)

And this would be minimising loading times (none of them are really separate modes.

The only thing is that this is putting a bit less focus on organism mode, but it is still completely there, so maybe something should be done to bring attention to the option on the right click menu, eg. bright colours, or a small image by it.
I don't think strategy mode will be able to be merged with org mode, because org mode is built for viewing individual places ad organisms, whereas strategy mode id built for viewing populations and managing them.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:20 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

The Uteen wrote:

• male
  • female

I don't think strategy mode will be able to be merged with org mode, because org mode is built for viewing individual places ad organisms, whereas strategy mode id built for viewing populations and managing them.

The Uteen wrote:
The organism mode could be accessible by right clicking a unit and selecting some sort of 'manual control', not only making it easier to switch, but also making it easier to choose which organism you control.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:28 pm

it's basically the same thing as regular-you'd still have to switch, there most likely would be a loading time.
And between org and strat mode, everything you want to do is different, so it would be a little illogical to combine them, i think.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
it's basically the same thing as regular-you'd still have to switch, there most likely would be a loading time.
And between org and strat mode, everything you want to do is different, so it would be a little illogical to combine them, i think.
cities xl 2009 has something like this but the only thing is to follow the little people with the camera
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Switching modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switching modes   Switching modes Empty

Back to top Go down

Switching modes
Page 1 of 1