Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!

Go down 
+2
Doggit
NickTheNick
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Empty
PostSubject: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I see a lot of threads in this section about music, but few about in game sound. I was thinking, have we got any work done on sounds for the creatures. when they roar, when they grunt, when they snarl, etc. Maybe they make very strange noises to us, since they adapted differently to their planet. When you shout out your mating call, will you be able to identify the mating call response as being a member of your own species? How much variety to the animal sounds are there? For example, if I give a mating call, i want to have to listen closely, and be able to tell if an interested mate of my species is responding simply by the sound of their call.

What about the languages of intelligent species? Will they just remain silent while a dialogue box beneath them shows what theyre supposed to be saying? Will they all just speak some sort of simlish (the spore solution)? Or will they all sound different?

Im forgetting a couple more of my questions, but for now thats good...

EDIT: Will your organism's voice be selected in the editor, or will it be determined based off of mathematical equations based off the shape and location of vocal cords/sonar emitters/etc.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 am

NickTheNick wrote:
I see a lot of threads in this section about music, but few about in game sound. I was thinking, have we got any work done on sounds for the creatures. when they roar, when they grunt, when they snarl, etc. Maybe they make very strange noises to us, since they adapted differently to their planet. When you shout out your mating call, will you be able to identify the mating call response as being a member of your own species? How much variety to the animal sounds are there? For example, if I give a mating call, i want to have to listen closely, and be able to tell if an interested mate of my species is responding simply by the sound of their call.

What about the languages of intelligent species? Will they just remain silent while a dialogue box beneath them shows what theyre supposed to be saying? Will they all just speak some sort of simlish (the spore solution)? Or will they all sound different?

Im forgetting a couple more of my questions, but for now thats good...

EDIT: Will your organism's voice be selected in the editor, or will it be determined based off of mathematical equations based off the shape and location of vocal cords/sonar emitters/etc.

Honestly I never tried making animal noises so this is a roar very "classic", but I'll try to do better.

Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 pm

We plan to use pre-recorded sounds chosen according to what vocal organs are used which are then tweaked according to your organism's shape, particularly the neck and chest. We won't have languages, because that would then require a large set of sounds and a voice synthesiser, but we may have a few variants of each sound.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

The Uteen wrote:
We plan to use pre-recorded sounds chosen according to what vocal organs are used which are then tweaked according to your organism's shape, particularly the neck and chest. We won't have languages, because that would then require a large set of sounds and a voice synthesiser, but we may have a few variants of each sound.

So it is not necessary that I make animal noises?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Doggit wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

We'll be able to find plenty of animal noises in different databases online.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:30 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Then what will it be like for example when you are in a diplomacy screen with another race? Or when you are in strategy mode and you order some footmen to a location? Will it just be silence with a dialogue box for the former, and absolute silence for the latter?
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 5:45 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Doggit wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Sorry but I do not understand ... I make other animal noises or not?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Doggit wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Doggit wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Sorry but I do not understand ... I make other animal noises or not?
Not needed.
Back to top Go down
LIonGraphiK
Newcomer
LIonGraphiK

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 pm

As some of you are aware, planets can be heard when converting the frequencies they give off (those electromagnetic waves) into ones translatable by a computer! Maybe these sounds will come in useful and we can shape them, or just simply use them when on a Barren world; as if your ship can pick up the signals, translating the electromagnetic waves into digital waves.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 am

It's almost a guaranteed this will be move to the Miscellaneous Bugs thread, but what the hay, why not? Making sounds for the game itself is one thing. Another thing to take into consideration is the use of sounds. What I mean by this, is having the player make sounds, mostly in organism stage...Confused? Not too hard if you think for a second.

The player will need to make sound. It will be the center of survival for their species if the player knows the sounds and what they are for, but more importantly, they need to make a sound as well to help the others in their group.

Let's start with the problems that Spore had that I feel would be a problem here. Since Spore didn't rely on communication through noise, it didn't matter what noise they made, the only difference being the change of tone based on mouth part size. So if two ape-like creatures met, they make the same noise. No big deal, peace or war could still be made. In Thrive, the player will need to feel a bit immersed in their environment, and that starts with the senses you can use for a video game, sight and hearing. I saw the chest, and neck, and vocal-chord structure idea, but let's be honest, there are going to be a ton of dinosaurs, dragons, and other animals of the sort made, and they'll all be making the exact same noise.

Sight is a no brainer, but the sounds a creature makes is what can determine life or death.

There would be utter confusion for the player if they found out that there was a species that made the EXACT same noises they do (see above). It would be like having barking dogs AND cats.

What's the problem here? Well, the other species may use their noises differently, and they may not tip off your own to a predator, and when one of your own DOES spot a predator, it can get drowned out by the other species.

This is where I bring a perhaps already thought of, or perhaps non-implementable idea. (That or it will be shot out of the sky.) In the behavior editor, there could be a 'Vocals' tab. Within that tab, you can find template noises. (A huge array of them, perhaps.)

What I figured you could do is something like what they did with Jurassic Park, or the old RTS game Paraworld, but much more basic. You can start by mixing the noises together, such as with Jurassic Park's Tyrannosaurus. (It used noises from dogs, geese, and even cockroaches.)

You can change the tone they come in as well, be it very deep, or very high pitched, or somewhere in the middle.

The tricky part is putting communication of noise in at all, because with a vocalization editor, it would have to be the player who determines how that works.

An example would be like...A reptilian that barks like the raptors from Jurassic Park, just to give you an idea. Three short barks could mean a predator was spotted. A long, loud bark could be telling the herd where food or water is. The player could preview these noises they set up, I'm thinking in a Mario Paint meets Guitar Hero's notes sort of way, where all you have to do is determine what kind of noises are made and for how long.

Then, that's where the player is put to the test, they have to remember what would be crucial to survival, namely those three short barks.

I just thought this would take us one step away from Spore. Just as well, it helps the player determine how they want their creature to sound a bit more easily...Though now that I think about, someone would probably make a Godzilla that sounds like a chihuahua.

Maybe size and mass of the creature should be taken into account...

Just the resident lizard man's thoughts.

*Edit* I did a very Vsauce thing to do. (Sciency youtube channel.)

I started with one point and moved onto another without addressing the first point: Having the player make noise.

This, I feel, is simply dealt with an old but good video game solution.

Hotkeys.

The player can bind the noises they made to a hotkey, such as...A warning call being put on C, so when the player sees a predator, they can press C, and their creature makes the noise that was created in the editor, with any nearby of the same species reacting based on what the noise was designed for, they'd all know there was a predator nearby, and take off running.

The noise another species makes can also help the player. Example: The player is hunting prey, and one of them let's out a loud bellow, followed by the prey running off. The player can assume that when that bellow goes off next time, they have to attack right then, or the prey will get a head start. Even predators in the real world know the warning calls of their prey, and have to determine what to do if they hear it.

Once again, just my thoughts. :alien: 
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 pm

LIonGraphiK wrote:

As some of you are aware, planets can be heard when converting the frequencies they give off (those electromagnetic waves) into ones translatable by a computer! Maybe these sounds will come in useful and we can shape them, or just simply use them when on a Barren world; as if your ship can pick up the signals, translating the electromagnetic waves into digital waves.

I think thats a great idea! However, this would require a spaceship. There could be a function part that, when attached to a vehicle in space, allows the vehicle to pick up planet noises.

I don't think there would be any copyright issues using the planet noises from our solar system, and if we want more diversity we could make more based off of what we know so far.

@dinoman

Players might make similar organisms, but they won't be playing each other's games, and the insides of an organism are a whole other playing field of customization as well. I don't think that's reason enough to not base sounds off of organism anatomy. What's more, I would prefer it that the sounds organisms make are based off of their design and not presets or a "Vocal Editor". Presets we might have to use as a placeholder at first, and we have too many editors.

However, in the Behaviour Editor, it makes sense to assign different sound fluctuations to different situations. It's just that the base sound itself is not customizable directly. You could make different alterations of it and assign them to different signals. (We would probably have to give the player a limited choice of options for what they could assign sounds for, to prevent the player from using advanced communication too soon).
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
@dinoman

Players might make similar organisms, but they won't be playing each other's games, and the insides of an organism are a whole other playing field of customization as well. I don't think that's reason enough to not base sounds off of organism anatomy. What's more, I would prefer it that the sounds organisms make are based off of their design and not presets or a "Vocal Editor". Presets we might have to use as a placeholder at first, and we have too many editors.

However, in the Behaviour Editor, it makes sense to assign different sound fluctuations to different situations. It's just that the base sound itself is not customizable directly. You could make different alterations of it and assign them to different signals. (We would probably have to give the player a limited choice of options for what they could assign sounds for, to prevent the player from using advanced communication too soon).

I didn't mean advanced communication. Perhaps it could be made as simple as a drop-down list with what the noise would represent. Such as 'Mating Call' or 'Warning Call' Or 'Threat'.

I do think that the player being able to use aggressive gesturing and calls would be useful, so that a conflict can be resolved by just scaring the competition off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!   Sounds, Sounds, Sounds! Empty

Back to top Go down

Sounds, Sounds, Sounds!
Page 1 of 1