Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
How to Broadcast to the WORLD Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

How to Broadcast to the WORLD

Go down 
+5
Solveitman
GmansWatching
PTFace
Doggit
NickTheNick
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

How to Broadcast to the WORLD Empty
PostSubject: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 am

I was thinking, and after looking at our progress on the forums, wiki, and ModDB websites, I cant help but notice something glaringly important; we need programmers! Now I know you are all probably thinking "thanks smartass, but tell me something I dont know", but let me continue. I worked out a basic step by step chart as to how we can get more coders.

Whats our final goal? To finish Thrive 1.0

But for that we need to attract WAAY more coders...
But for that we need to attract WAAY more people (and some are bound to be coders)...
But for that we need to release playable segments of the game to attract large numbers, aka our efforts to release a solid microbe stage before anything else...
But for that we need to attract more coders...
But for that we need to attract more people (and a few will be coders)...
And for that, we need to spread the word of our project, Thrive.

We need to brainstorm ideas as to how we can, without spamming and advertising, slowly but surely draw people into the project. I was thinking that we start small, like by simply adding "Thrive, possibly the greatest game ever concieved" in our signatures on other forums, along with a link. Thats sure to spark curiosity if someone reads it.

Of course we must all congratulate ourselves on getting this far with Thrive, but to really get going we need some plan of action. We need to get noticed. Ideas?

(Btw, this is not meant to result in a conversation between two people, as several of my threads have. Ideally everyone should get involved, because promotion is very important for Thrive to thrive!)
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 2:06 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I was thinking, and after looking at our progress on the forums, wiki, and ModDB websites, I cant help but notice something glaringly important; we need programmers! Now I know you are all probably thinking "thanks smartass, but tell me something I dont know", but let me continue. I worked out a basic step by step chart as to how we can get more coders.

Whats our final goal? To finish Thrive 1.0

But for that we need to attract WAAY more coders...
But for that we need to attract WAAY more people (and some are bound to be coders)...
But for that we need to release playable segments of the game to attract large numbers, aka our efforts to release a solid microbe stage before anything else...
But for that we need to attract more coders...
But for that we need to attract more people (and a few will be coders)...
And for that, we need to spread the word of our project, Thrive.

We need to brainstorm ideas as to how we can, without spamming and advertising, slowly but surely draw people into the project. I was thinking that we start small, like by simply adding "Thrive, possibly the greatest game ever concieved" in our signatures on other forums, along with a link. Thats sure to spark curiosity if someone reads it.

Of course we must all congratulate ourselves on getting this far with Thrive, but to really get going we need some plan of action. We need to get noticed. Ideas?

(Btw, this is not meant to result in a conversation between two people, as several of my threads have. Ideally everyone should get involved, because promotion is very important for Thrive to thrive!)

I agree with everything you said. The only way to attract programmers do much advertising.
All those who follow this project are to Thrive advertise on Facebook, Youtube and forums.

It would also create a good youtube account that covers the news of Thrive.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Ok so i realized that programmers, like gamers, must have forums for themselves too, where they discuss code and software and stuff. So I found a particularly nice, juicy stash of them at a certain website, and I posted a request for coders for Thrive, to help speed up our progress and lighten the load on Roadkillguy's back. I made sure to point out that this is a non profit project, so we will not pay them.

Heres the link: http://forum.codecall.net/topic/71030-thrive-an-epic-game-of-evolution/

Ideally, theyll be pouring in by the hundreds in a couple of days, and all our problems will be solved!

Lol, just kidding, but hopefully at least a couple show up...
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Not meaning to say you did bad, but I believe there is an advertising section? And I agree with Nick, we should really post on programming forums, even science/biology ones might be helpful. You never know, maybe Will Wright browses forums about evolution.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 5:22 pm

PTFace wrote:
Not meaning to say you did bad, but I believe there is an advertising section? And I agree with Nick, we should really post on programming forums, even science/biology ones might be helpful. You never know, maybe Will Wright browses forums about evolution.

Yeah, I made sure to post it in the "Requests" section. Science/Biology ones would be nice too, thats a good idea. you should do some of those.

If Will Wright found this, that would be an interesting turn of events...
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice work Nick ;). I too now I'm going to publish on the programming forum.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Doggit wrote:

Nice work Nick ;). I too now I'm going to publish on the programming forum.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 pm

A bit late to post here, 2010 topic and all, but anyways. I happen to know a few coders here. If I could convince them I could get at least 2-3. One of them also goes on forums basically all the time so he could easily get us out there. And attract others. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm

GmansWatching wrote:
A bit late to post here, 2010 topic and all, but anyways. I happen to know a few coders here. If I could convince them I could get at least 2-3. One of them also goes on forums basically all the time so he could easily get us out there. And attract others. Thoughts?

Don't worry, it's not late. This is actually a 2012 topic. However, when you say a few coders here, do you mean on these forums? I'm hoping you mean outside of these forums, and you want to bring them in. If so, that would be GREAT! Especially if it is 2-3! It would be even awesomer if they could start attracting more people themselves. I'm all up for it!
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I mean here as in my area. Awesome, i'll talk to them as soon as I can
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Is it ok if I go and advertise Thrive on my Youtube? Since I make (not trying to advertise myself here) videos every few days. I have some subscribers so yeah. I could just mention Thrive alot in my videos and/or make a video for it. Just need a yes or no.
Back to top Go down
Solveitman

PostSubject: Kickstarter?   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 3:38 am

Greetings! I recently heard about your project and am very excited about its progress. A game like this would definitely push video games beyond the realm of entertainment.

While I admire your dedication to making this game have a budget of 0$, I can't help but notice how long yall have been working on it. If I am not mistaken you are in constant need of programmers and developers to continue the project. I have a solution:

There is a great demand for a game like this. Why not start a Kickstarter? You can receive donations from people just like me, who may not have the technical skills to help but are willing to pay for a game like this. I believe even meager funds would help speed the development greatly.

Just a suggestion, I think yall are doing fantastic work and I applaud your spirit.
Back to top Go down
Carnifex
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 am

I agree with solveitman. While doing this all voluntarily is a great cause, eventually your hard work has to be rewarded somehow.

Another thing I wanted to throw in here is, please be careful with spreading around the IP of the project.. There's no copyright anywhere so any large gaming company can simply steal this game concept.
Please, don't start spreading all information. Recruitment is fine, but keep information on a low and just advertise for the need for programmers and keep information spread to private messages for instance.

Don't just post the whole game concept on public forums. Also, advertising with being the successor to Spore is very much being a douchebag and very arrogant and I think it might even be illegal. The developers at Maxis worked very hard on the Spore project so you can't just start blabbering about saying Spore sucked and failed so now comes the game it was supposed to be.
If anything, this game is a tribute to spore and aims to make the game as realistic as real life.

This game should be a whole new experience and people shouldn't be comparing this to Spore. (at least don't give them reasons to)

This game is still in the conceptual stage as the game hasn't been thought out fully yet. You can wait with the recruitment of volunteer programmers until you actually start programming the game.

Again I ask, keep your enthusiasm to your self or on these forums but don't start announcing how awesome this game is going to become as you might be promising things that the game is not going to live up to in the end.
(don't create high expectations with the public you're not sure of meeting)

This goes for now, but also when the game is in development. Don't tell the public what awesome things lie in store (unless they are actually being programmed) because stuff turns ugly if later an announcement is made certain things did not make it into the game.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:12 am

The idea of a kickstarter has been discussed before here (among a few others), though in that case more as a publicity exercise, with any income being donated to charity. Many of us here are very keen for this project to remain open source and $0 budget, our reward is in developing the ideas and seeing the result.

That's not to say the discussion is entirely closed, but what was agreed on is that we won't be publicising the project any more until we have something to show for ourselves, either an advanced prototype, or an early cell stage demo.

The odd external post helps to lure a few more potential members here, and does fairly little harm, but any extensive spamming won't help our reputation, especially when we have so little to show the casual visitor (i.e.: those looking for something playable, and not willing to read whole concept discussions).

Carnifex makes a good point about potentially having our concepts (effectively the games IP) stolen. I would think that at this point the concept is so vast that no profit-oriented developer would touch it with a bargepole, though that doesn't stop anyone skimming off some of the simpler stuff. In one sense, thrive is destined to be open-source, so this is ok, so long as noone else develops parts of the game first, and claims IP on those parts before we're able to use them.

Thanks to the recent reddit post, we now have more programmers involved than at any one time in the past, so I'd suggest we start working with what we have rather than worrying about/waiting to get more.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah I suggest we start working now too. I started this thread before the Reddit influx. Any more programmers would be nice, but we need to make progress too.

@GmansWatching: I would be in favour of your idea, especially if it will bring more programmers, but I don't think I have the authority to say yes or no.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

While a kickstarter would be nice. I'm definitely for it. Just I think some people would compare us to spore. You could convince many people otherwise, but from what ive seen from many regions of the internet, Many people are 'Belgium' stupid. (and/or trolls)
I think a kickstarter would be a good idea but doesn't seem really that necessary. I would have an area where people could donate though.

@NickTheNick Alright. For now i'll just keep quiet about it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:48 pm

GmansWatching wrote:
While a kickstarter would be nice. I'm definitely for it. Just I think some people would compare us to spore. You could convince many people otherwise, but from what ive seen from many regions of the internet, Many people are 'Belgium' stupid. (and/or trolls)
I think a kickstarter would be a good idea but doesn't seem really that necessary. I would have an area where people could donate though.

@NickTheNick Alright. For now i'll just keep quiet about it.

I would just wait for Sciocont and ask him.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Oh, also, what happened to the 2-3 programmers? We could really use them for the upcoming programmer chat meeting.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm working on it. ( Need to get on Skype to get 1 of em >_>) When do you want them by?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 pm

GmansWatching wrote:
I'm working on it. ( Need to get on Skype to get 1 of em >_>) When do you want them by?

The sooner the better

But don't rush them.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 am

NickTheNick wrote:
GmansWatching wrote:

The sooner the better

But don't rush them.

Agree, I think the best tactic is to give them space and time (Pun - intended?) to think... and see if they come and join us.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 8:01 pm

There is a youtube named Archengeia who is a very intelligent game reviewer with a following of ~3000 people. I have sent him a message and he mentioned making a video if enough people messaged him
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

PTFace wrote:
There is a youtube named Archengeia who is a very intelligent game reviewer with a following of ~3000 people. I have sent him a message and he mentioned making a video if enough people messaged him

I'll message him as well, what should I write?
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Tell him about the thrive project and if he could help in any way, maybe with a mention.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 am

I also reccomend contacting deliciouscinnamon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Broadcast to the WORLD   How to Broadcast to the WORLD Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Broadcast to the WORLD
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next