Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Programmer coordination discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 am

jaws2blood wrote:
this may deserve it's own thread but, i'm not sure. Has anyone here heard of SDL? With it we can delay things by milliseconds, do things with the screen, use sound (i think), and load bitmap images(.bmp). If you need .png files and what not there's a library for SDL which let's you use them. SDL isn't it's own program or anything, it's just a library really. SDL is also always used with games made from straight OpenGL. What i'm really interested in though is the delay thing, sounds neat, and we will probably need it at certain points.

SDL site: http://www.libsdl.org/

also, when is the next meeting, I would like to attend.

Sounds great, Open your own thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 am

@Jaws - could be useful, if Ogre doesn't already provide those functions. If it doesn't, and SDL is cross-platform (sounds like it is), we'll use it. Also, no need to start a new thread for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 am

Seregon wrote:
@Jaws - could be useful, if Ogre doesn't already provide those functions. If it doesn't, and SDL is cross-platform (sounds like it is), we'll use it. Also, no need to start a new thread for that.

I think it is cross - platform (They offer linux compresed archive), so I don't think it will be a problem, so, I think that if orge does not do that stuff so we can do it like this.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/394828-sdl-vs-ogre3d/

SDL is 2D math, BTW, Just so you know...
It is on C, But also native in C++.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am

ido66667 wrote:
SDL is 2D math, BTW, Just so you know...
It is on C, But also native in C++.

SDL is image blitting and input handling, not 2D math. C++ is c, with classes, templates, and a much larger standard library.

But yeah, my vote would be for SDL + OpenGL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
SDL is 2D math, BTW, Just so you know...
It is on C, But also native in C++.

SDL is image blitting and input handling, not 2D math. C++ is c, with classes, templates, and a much larger standard library.

But yeah, my vote would be for SDL + OpenGL.

You don't need to tell me what is C++, C++ is Basicly C99 with many more stuff.

Well, I guess that It is About the Image blitting and input handling, My sources were wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:12 pm

ido66667 wrote:
C++ is Basicly C99 with many more stuff.

C99 is a c standard, dated 1999. C++ forked long before that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaws2blood
Newcomer


Posts : 62
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:00 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
SDL is 2D math, BTW, Just so you know...
It is on C, But also native in C++.

SDL is image blitting and input handling, not 2D math. C++ is c, with classes, templates, and a much larger standard library.

But yeah, my vote would be for SDL + OpenGL.

SDL + OpenGL might be a bit much for such a small, low experience(professionally) team. Ogre3D will have to suffice until a bump comes up where we need to get that into the graphics. However, if we can manage to get enough people who know all about graphics and it's programming(so that it's not just you/someone else :P) raw SDL + OpenGL will indeed be a good move, but I don't think that will happen considering how doubted this high aim project is. Thrive is lucky to have as many people as it has, which isn't much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaws2blood
Newcomer


Posts : 62
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Does anyone have an idea when the next meeting may be? The sooner we get coding, the sooner we have something we can use to attract further help and show that there is something being done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:35 pm

jaws2blood wrote:
Does anyone have an idea when the next meeting may be? The sooner we get coding, the sooner we have something we can use to attract further help and show that there is something being done.

I know Seregon won't be back until tomorrow. I will PM him then and tell him that you guys want another meeting. I might attend as well because it just gives me a confidence boost to here you guys talk technical.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:50 am

NickTheNick wrote:
jaws2blood wrote:
Does anyone have an idea when the next meeting may be? The sooner we get coding, the sooner we have something we can use to attract further help and show that there is something being done.

I know Seregon won't be back until tomorrow. I will PM him then and tell him that you guys want another meeting. I might attend as well because it just gives me a confidence boost to here you guys talk technical.

I know, lol, when someone talk something that you don't understand, it all sounds like something Importent... While sometimes is not... But, Please remeber that we don't need meetings for nothing, So don't get all exited, we need something to talk about first... Nick's sig was "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato... We don't need to arrange a meetings when we don't have anything to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:43 pm

True, except our programmers have A LOT to talk about. There are many things Seregon was telling me that they haven't covered yet. Jaws2blood is correct that having a meeting sooner will get the coding started sooner.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaws2blood
Newcomer


Posts : 62
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
our programmers have A LOT to talk about.

And program
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaws2blood
Newcomer


Posts : 62
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

still no word on the next meeting for discussing standards and what not. I would just go ahead and code away, but i don't want to end up working on the same things as everyone else or end up making something with stuff not discussed in the standards(SDL being an example, you'll need it for input).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Try sending a PM to Seregon. I thought he was the guy who organizes these meetings. I've sent him a PM but to no avail.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:00 pm

jaws2blood wrote:
still no word on the next meeting for discussing standards and what not. I would just go ahead and code away, but i don't want to end up working on the same things as everyone else or end up making something with stuff not discussed in the standards(SDL being an example, you'll need it for input).

SDL can be Discussed on forums...
We don't need meetings for every thing, Than why we have forums?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Sorry guys, I've been away all weekend, and rather busy today. I have a lot of work to do this week, so won't be able to help out much, and all I can really do is suggest a meeting time, perhaps 1900 GMT on Thursday?

I've asked Apeiron to setup an initial codebase to put into a repository, which we can then start building onto. The next step, I think, is to look at integrating Ogre, and set up an initial scene.

I'll try to be on IRC (though mostly afk) for most of the week, and will try to help where possible, but can't do much actual coding for the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaws2blood
Newcomer


Posts : 62
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-12-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:41 pm

ido66667 wrote:
jaws2blood wrote:
still no word on the next meeting for discussing standards and what not. I would just go ahead and code away, but i don't want to end up working on the same things as everyone else or end up making something with stuff not discussed in the standards(SDL being an example, you'll need it for input).

SDL can be Discussed on forums...
We don't need meetings for every thing, Than why we have forums?

It's not just SDL, i still don't know how i should structure my classes and functions so i won't cause confusion, there's standards which haven't been written up yet, and we still need to figure out who's doing what.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeah ido, jaws is right, there is much need for meetings beyond simple posting and PMs on the forum. Please stop trying to convince everyone that they need to avoid these meetings because we have "no need for them".

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carnifex
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm

The whole purpose for these meetings is so the programmers can discuss stuff about.. well programming!

Please ido, could you try not to tell people what to do so much taking in mind you're not a programmer yourself.
I really get the bad feeling you think you know everything there is to know but really, programming is something you learn over the course of many years of practice, prototyping and learning. You can't simply look up a wikipedia article and think you know everything about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Carnifex wrote:
The whole purpose for these meetings is so the programmers can discuss stuff about.. well programming!

Please ido, could you try not to tell people what to do so much taking in mind you're not a programmer yourself.
I really get the bad feeling you think you know everything there is to know but really, programming is something you learn over the course of many years of practice, prototyping and learning. You can't simply look up a wikipedia article and think you know everything about it.

Amm, Please note that Nick is not a programmer too...
I don't know much programming, But I am not sure we can do much stuff with the meetings.

Did I talked about an holy cow, I mean, if we want to talk about what we feel, that what I feel...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADMIN
Admin


Posts : 30
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Watching.

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm

The programmers know what's good for programming. The only people who they're even slightly obligated to heed the word of would be the mods, myself, and ADMIN, and I would never instruct them to do something that they thought would be detrimental to their progress or well-being here. Furthermore, there is no conceivable reason not to organize ourselves in order to increase efficiency and the depth of our interactions. Whenever the programmers want to discuss this, however they want to do so, I am in favor of their plans. The only thing I would feel would be suitable to instruct them to do would be to save logs of their conversation, which they have already had the initiative and foresight to do.

_________________
ADMIN is always watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

ADMIN wrote:
The programmers know what's good for programming. The only people who they're even slightly obligated to heed the word of would be the mods, myself, and ADMIN, and I would never instruct them to do something that they thought would be detrimental to their progress or well-being here. Furthermore, there is no conceivable reason not to organize ourselves in order to increase efficiency and the depth of our interactions. Whenever the programmers want to discuss this, however they want to do so, I am in favor of their plans. The only thing I would feel would be suitable to instruct them to do would be to save logs of their conversation, which they have already had the initiative and foresight to do.

Okay, sorry, But god, Why are you taking what I say so hard, I am wrong sometimes, And the stuff I say Are mostly suggestions... I don't see why you stone me for what I say... Are you expecting me to say "Note: This is just a suggestion, don't go all dramatic."

That what at least I feel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am

wait, isn't ADMIN a bot? and why would he say: " and myself and ADMIN." if he is ADMIN? I don't understand...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
wait, isn't ADMIN a bot? and why would he say: " and myself and ADMIN." if he is ADMIN? I don't understand...

ADMIN is not a bot, Sciocont and Alaska can use it.

Not sure why he is talking like admin is a is someone other in real life...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm

A quick reminder that our next meeting starts in just over an hour on the IRC. We'll be discussing coding standards and repositories primarily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Programmer coordination discussion   Today at 6:10 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Programmer coordination discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Programming-
Jump to: