Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Resource Brainstorming

Go down 
+22
penumbra espinosa
Sundu
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
DragonX511
Armok: God of Blood
thrivepedia
Daniferrito
Noone
roadkillguy
Raptorstorm
Silver Sterling
RunningFish24
StarMage42
jaws2blood
Brennus
~sciocont
The Uteen
Carnifex
PTFace
ido66667
NickTheNick
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:11 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
@The Uteen: Oh I see what you mean. By source I meant the original source of that resource, unless it is not a raw material. I use description just to keep things neat and concise, mainly to describe properties. I'm not so keen on mentioning uses of a resource because that is completely up to the player and his species and how they use that resource, and we might not think of some of the stuff that the resource could also be used for by the player, and by mentioning uses that leans players towards doing what is mentioned.

The categorization is so far just for organizational purposes although I'm pretty sure we could find some use for it in game. Actually, I added some more detailed levels of classification, still relatively simple, in the chart below. Any resource falls into one of the below boxes.

Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Resour10

For example, in my Society Megapost I mentioned how labourers operate buildings that either intake or produce raw materials, well here's how a resource is identified/tagged as "raw material". Same for craftsmen who only operate factories that the intake and output are both fine goods.

Remeber that It is not completly up to them, as we can't develope the most realist game ever...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Brennus wrote:
Nuclear weaponry will be in this, right? So we'll need uranium for early nukes.

Resource:Uranium
Description: a radioactive silvery-white metal. Essential for primitive nuclear devices
sources: Underground or surface deposits.

Great one, I was just thinking of that myself!
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Resource: Hydrogen.
Description: The lighitest element, colorless, oderless, tateless, flaimable, can be used for Nuclear fusion.
sources: Water, Gas giants... Basicly "Everywhere".
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:23 pm

ido66667 wrote:
Description: The lighitest element, colorless, oderless, tateless, flaimable, can be used for Nuclear fusion.

Hmm, I don't think gases would work with this. This resource list is mostly for TO Construction and trade goods.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:

Hmm, I don't think gases would work with this. This resource list is mostly for TO Construction and trade goods.

Nuclear fusion.........
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Got an idea.

Resource: Glass
Description: An amorphous, solid material. Typically brittle and optically transparent. Can be coloured for aesthetic purposes.
Sources: Produced from melting sand.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Glass should also be an early material for weaponry. I think aztec warriors used obsidian stuck in wooden clubs, so we could do the same with glass
Back to top Go down
Brennus
Newcomer
Brennus

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Hydrogen has plenty of potential uses. Hydrogen fuel cells can be used to power cars, it can power nuclear fusion, which in turn would be useful for spaceships.
@PTFace; the reason that the aztecs used obsidian was because it was readily available. Making glass was ridiculously expensive until the industrial revolution, and even then it was expensive. It would be a better bet to have obsidian as a resource, not glass.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 1:44 am

Brennus wrote:
Hydrogen has plenty of potential uses. Hydrogen fuel cells can be used to power cars, it can power nuclear fusion, which in turn would be useful for spaceships.
@PTFace; the reason that the aztecs used obsidian was because it was readily available. Making glass was ridiculously expensive until the industrial revolution, and even then it was expensive. It would be a better bet to have obsidian as a resource, not glass.
Obsidian would fall under "Flint"
Resource: Flint
Description:A stone comprised of quartz that can be worked into many different pointed shapes for use in weaponry, cutlery, agriculture, etc. Creates sparks when struck with steel.
Sources: Areas of exposed rock early on, then mines.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 1:33 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Brennus wrote:
Obsidian would fall under "Flint"
Resource: Flint
Description:A stone comprised of quartz that can be worked into many different pointed shapes for use in weaponry, cutlery, agriculture, etc. Creates sparks when struck with steel.
Sources: Areas of exposed rock early on, then mines.

Good one Scio, adding to the list.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm

ido66667 wrote:
Why you did not added Hydrogen, It is VERY useful, to Fusion and all, Without Hydrogen, and other gases, you civ is basicly stuck.

Oh right yeah, it's because I am not so sure about gases. Trade goods are things that give economic value to different regions, like for example South America was prized for its silver, gold, coffee, and chocolate. China had silk and spices, America had cotton and tobacco. Resources like hydrogen, argon, and water fall into a different category. The resources we are brainstorming are the first kind; however, hydrogen, argon, water, and any other resources of that kind will obviously be taken into account as well. I can't really place my finger on what distinguishes the first resources I mentioned from the latter, but I hope you see my point.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:09 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
Why you did not added Hydrogen, It is VERY useful, to Fusion and all, Without Hydrogen, and other gases, you civ is basicly stuck.

Oh right yeah, it's because I am not so sure about gases. Trade goods are things that give economic value to different regions, like for example South America was prized for its silver, gold, coffee, and chocolate. China had silk and spices, America had cotton and tobacco. Resources like hydrogen, argon, and water fall into a different category. The resources we are brainstorming are the first kind; however, hydrogen, argon, water, and any other resources of that kind will obviously be taken into account as well. I can't really place my finger on what distinguishes the first resources I mentioned from the latter, but I hope you see my point.

Hydrogen and other useful gasses can have Values, But more from private comepenies, Those stuff will not have only some states that will have alot of them, Basicly, You can find them everywhere.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm

ido66667 wrote:
Hydrogen and other useful gasses can have Values, But more from private comepenies, Those stuff will not have only some states that will have alot of them, Basicly, You can find them everywhere.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 12:37 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:

Exactly.

Than, Can you add it, The Civ stage will also include Economics, and Other Economical entities that are not you.
Also, I advice you to add a Gasses category.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 1:33 pm

ido66667 wrote:
Than, Can you add it, The Civ stage will also include Economics, and Other Economical entities that are not you.

No I was saying exactly as in that's why such resources should be considered differently in the process.

I got some new resources for the current list:

Resource: Salt
Description: A crystalline mineral composed mainly of sodium chloride. Essential for animal life in small quantities, but dangerous in excessive amounts. Effective at food preservation and flavour enhancement.
Sources: Seawater and rock salt.

Resource: Clay
Description: A combination of minerals with traces of metal oxides and organic matter. Exhibits certain elasticity when combined with water, then hardens when dry. When fired it is converted into a ceramic material.
Sources: Large lakes and marine basins.

Resource: Spice
Description: A dried seed, fruit, root, bark, or vegetative substance mainly used for flavouring, colouring, or preserving food. Many have additional antimicrobial properties.
Sources: Any spice producing plants.

Resource: Ivory
Description: Obtained from the teeth and tusks of an animal, or any bony structures composed of dentine. Aesthetically appealing, and when refined produces a solid, shiny surface.
Sources: Ivory bearing animals.

Resource: Silver
Description: A soft, white, and lustrous metal. Very high electrical and thermal conductivity. Aesthetically appealing, and has numerous antimicrobial medical properties.
Sources: Underground of surface deposits.

Ok we have a dilemma, how will stone be managed? Should we just have one kind of stone that is universal to all planets? Should we have several major rocks that serve different purposes, like limestone, marble, and granite?
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm

material: Plant Fiber

uses: make basic ropes, primitive thread

source: Plants with strong enough fibers for use
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
ido66667 wrote:

No I was saying exactly as in that's why such resources should be considered differently in the process.

And why that prablomatic?

Also, I Think that we should make a few diffrent types of stone, And where the type appear will depend on the biome or where you mine.

Resource: Granite Stone.
Description: Granite is from a few diffrent Minerals: Quartz, Mica and feldspar.
Uses: Sculptures, Memorials, Statues, Building (Like on some Egyptian pyramids.).
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:18 pm

No I'm not saying they're problematic they are obviously going to be modeled in some other thread but these resources are resources for trade goods and TO construction. Hydrogen doesn't fall under either of those.

Also, yeah i think setting several major types of stone is key. Which should they be then? My thoughts are Granite, Limestone, and Marble. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
No I'm not saying they're problematic they are obviously going to be modeled in some other thread but these resources are resources for trade goods and TO construction. Hydrogen doesn't fall under either of those.

Also, yeah i think setting several major types of stone is key. Which should they be then? My thoughts are Granite, Limestone, and Marble. Suggestions?
Remember that flint is an important early resource. I'd include sandstone on that list, primarily because it's very easy to work with if you haven't yet developed the tools for detailed masonry.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Gotcha. I'll upload the four stone types to the OP this evening.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I was thinking, should I just put the names only on the OP and then have
all their descriptions saved on a Word file on my PC? It would help
clean up the OP and keep it concise.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:37 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I was thinking, should I just put the names only on the OP and then have
all their descriptions saved on a Word file on my PC? It would help
clean up the OP and keep it concise.
Use the "spoiler" option for descriptions.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that? Can you demonstrate with parentheses instead of square brackets?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that? Can you demonstrate with parentheses instead of square brackets?
(spoiler)content(/spoiler)
If you're curious about formatting, you can see it if you simply quote the post you're curious about.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Ahh ok thanks. Also, good point I hadn't thought of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resource Brainstorming   Resource Brainstorming - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Resource Brainstorming
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next