Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Revamping the Wiki

Go down 
+15
dinoman9877
FalmerbloodElixir
Inca
hypoxanthine
Daniferrito
Oliveriver
ExtraSolar
~sciocont
WJacobC
Nimbal
untrustedlife
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
RodGame
NickTheNick
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
MirrorMonkey2
Newcomer
MirrorMonkey2

Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 am

Ok, I just wanted to make it more accessable to german-speaking people. (almost 100 milions) Are there currently any specific wiki pages I can write?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 am

At the moment the pages on topics pertaining to the organism stages need updating badly. The concept for that needs to be refined itself first on the forum before it can go up on the wiki. This is stuff like niches, biomes, food webs, auto-evo, etc.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 pm

It's been a while since we've paid attention to the wiki, but I think we ought to resume maintaining the wiki as a source for final game design and concept, something a wiki can achieve far better than a forum.

As a rule of thumb, any time a discussion is resolved on the forum, the first instinct of the participants of that discussion should be to upload the main points of what they agreed upon on to the wiki ASAP. The wiki pages can then link back to the appropriate threads on the forum that lead to their creation. This would create the wiki as a source of up-to-date features and concepts, and the forum as the site of their creation. I know right now we don't have that habit, so to initiate that trend I will begin with it myself. Recently I've partaken in several threads, so I will be revisiting them below to add anything concluded out of them into the wiki:

Saved Games: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1416-saved-games-the-universe-and-everything#30084
New Games: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1417-starting-a-new-game#30122
Agents: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1210p90-agents-discussion#30143
Organelles, Plasmids, and other stuff: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1257p30-microbe-stage-gdd#30173
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Are there any plans to open up wiki access? The restricted access to the wiki is a pretty major reason for its unhealthy lack of life, since making changes by going through the forum first is far too complicated for the continuous stream of editing which a wiki requires to function well. What we can do instead is liberally spread wiki access, and use some good wiki organization to make it clear which pages meet developer standards. I've run wikidot wikis before that have worked much much better than ours, and the starkness of the contrast is actually painful to think about.

Here's a more articulate proposal:

We reorganize the wiki to make clear (similar to wikipedia and many other heavily-edited wikis) the quality level of each article (through templates perhaps). Then, we liberally grant wiki access to pretty much anyone who asks. These excited acolytes can then go ahead and make articles to their hearts' content. Through discussion on both the forums (possibly a new wiki subforum) and the discussion pages for each article, and through mod action for egregious actions, we can improve the quality of articles and eventually mark the article as endorsed or something.

As far as I can tell, the only reason wiki access is limited in the first place is to prevent troll/fanboy editors. But this is a strawman -- wiki changes can be rolled back easily, careful moderation can remove those editors, and as long as we're careful about who we give access to, people will have reputations as good team members to uphold. For example, I might just be a dangerous troll who wants to destroy the wiki, but I'll only get one chance to cause any damage, and it won't last, and I'll have to sacrifice my rep here to do it. So I won't. The same holds true (I think) for pretty much anyone who makes it through the application gauntlet.

tl;dr:
Spreading wiki access will make the wiki better. Spreading wiki access won't make the wiki worse. I rest my case.

Edit: Oh and as usual, here's a reference

Last edited by moopli on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bibliography :D)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 am

I've considered that before, and because of the reasons you gave and especially because there is now a selective process for developers, I think it would be a good idea to open up the wiki access to allow for any developer to make a contribution. However, I must first find out whether I am able to add people to the wiki, and if not I'll have to message ~scio to get admin status.

The wiki was originally restricted to ensure that the people who updated the wiki were reliable and well knowledgeable about the subject, and in fact there were previous attempts to move to wikia that were ultimately failures partly due to an open contribution system. However, I do think that by limiting it to developers on the forum, it would work much better than it does now.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Are we intending to limit or discourage additions to the Wiki not concerning the microbe stage? A lot of the discussion further on has never really been set in stone and still needs going over when we reach a suitable point in development.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 pm

I agree, we should discourage writing new wiki content on that sort of thing -- however, instead of putting it that way, we could just "highly encourage" Microbe Stage pages

But since much of what's on the wiki is kinda up in the air right now, we can't just let it sit there, we have to do some cleanup, even if only to replace whole pages with stubs saying that they're not a current priority or something.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 am

Oliveriver wrote:
Are we intending to limit or discourage additions to the Wiki not concerning the microbe stage? A lot of the discussion further on has never really been set in stone and still needs going over when we reach a suitable point in development.

I do have some WIP documents with me covering the concept on the post-evolutionary stages, but I want to wait until I finish and polish them and the we get a bit farther into development (of the Microbe/Multicellular Stages) to post them and start to accrue attention on the strategy mode. Because of that, it's hard to have any design features to add to the wiki for that section of the game.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Okay I have recieved admin status on the wiki, so any developer that wishes to start contributing to the wiki please PM me and I can add you as a member on wikidot.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm currently going through the wiki to give it a massive facelift.

Any page that describes something that pertains to a later stage in Thrive should have [[include future-work]] put at the top. "future-work" is the template page where I put a message box that says something like "this page not final", so if we want to change what it says on top of every page like that, then we can just change the one page. An extension to consider is to have one of those for every stage; then all the future stages can say a similar message, but when we get to the next stage we only need to edit one page. I don't think I'll do that right now though *shrug*.

The other thing I'm doing, for all the pages that currently matter, is updating them so they're nice and current (no worries Nick, I'm not touching the Microbe Stage page, no need to duplicate work when you'll have a GDD ready soon).

Some wiki organization ideas:

• Something I used to great effect a few times is the pagetree module -- a tree of pages linked by parenthood. That's right, you can make pages parents of other pages. What I'm thinking of doing is making a couple metapages, one for each stage perhaps, and going through the wiki and setting parents, then putting a pagetree on the front page, spoilered or something, to make the site easy to navigate.
  • The tag system is pretty ugly right now, and isn't being used too well. I'm going to do a bit of tag pruning. Perhaps we can use tags, instead of as groupers for certain content, as pointers to what sections of wiki need attention, and so on. I'm not sure, I'm just not too keen on unmaintained tag clouds.
  • What about, instead of using the tags to organize stuff in terms of topic, we use them to organize in terms of programmer-readiness?
    So, we would have concept_complete for stuff that's ready to turn into proper spec, fully_specced for stuff that's ready to completely program, concept_todo and spec_todo for both, and stub for, well, stubs.
  • Formatting is important -- whether writing equations or laying stuff out.
  • About the sidebar and top navbar: The sidebar is the much more noticeable of the two, and should thus contain the more useful navigation links. Site Manager, the wiki forum, the changelogs, the member list, and so on are generally much less useful for people browsing through than the useful links, the links to editors, and all the rest on the top navbar. I'm currently setting the parents of loads of pages, and creating some generic pages for things like the thrive editors and the game stages. There's now a pagetree on the sidebar (I find it makes navigation by topic far easier than a tag cloud can)

The wiki is, after all, a dev wiki. It's for us designers to write functional spec, so when we programmers want to implement a thing we can just read something that explains what the thing looks like, all the stuff you do with the thing, where the thing is, and so on; so we don't have to ask around for answers to things unrelated to programming, so we can code happy knowing that we won't be asked to change things too unreasonably too often. Now, this project is still in its infancy in terms of code, so things aren't so bad yet, but eventually this project will have to grow, in which case it better be easy to just program new features without having to ask around and wait for decisions.

todone: sidebar, homepage, and navbar links need to be repermuted.
Okay I gave up and just cleansed the entire wiki of tags. They weren't helping with navigation, and unless anyone complains, I think I'll go ahead and use them to document the completion rating of pages. Once that's done though, anyone will be able to tell at a glance that our wiki isn't actually particularly amazing (still okay, but not any better), despite how much stuff there is on it.

Last edited by moopli on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : finished another thing)
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 4:05 pm

It's been a while this thread was used but this discussion is about the wiki, sooooo...

I PM'd NickTheNick and he says he'll look at the wiki and say what changes he thinks should be made.

Back to top Go down
tjwhale
Theorist
tjwhale

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 pm

I have 2 thoughts on this

1) Basically it's not worth putting a huge amount of effort into pages on things which aren't finalised. And not much about the microbe stage is finalised (let alone the game).

It's going to be 2d top down, you're going to be swimming around a lot, there's going to be a CPA system and some ocean modelling, it ends when you become multi-cellular etc

These are fixed but how all these systems will work is still up in the air.

So I suggest try to track things which have been fixed / decided and then make a good page on them but don't worry about things which are still in flux too much.

(Like I'm hoping we can get a master list for the CPA system fixed at some point and then we need a nice page on that explaining everything with formulas and a nice diagram but it's not worth making all that while it is subject to change.)

2) The most important pages will be the tutorial / "wtf is this" pages. So when people are stuck they will google it and end up at the wiki.

So if you're looking for pages to make keep an eye out for when people ask "I tried to install and got this error what do I do" and the response is "do xyz" then that should go in the wiki. (installation faq's page maybe)

And if people ask gameplay questions (e.g. "what is a vacuole and why am I putting them on my microbe?") then that should be in the wiki.

Also a "getting started / tutorial" page would be really nice with installation instructions and then a first guide to playing the game. This will change A LOT when other bits of the game get built but it would be nice to have all the time.

Hope this is helpful, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
StealthStyle L
Newcomer
StealthStyle L

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I'll start work on that installations page over the week.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Revamping the Wiki
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6