Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe GUI Finalisation

Go down 
+19
MitochondriaBox
Madero
~sciocont
moopli
Seregon
AwesomeSiebren
TheRabiesGuineaPig
penumbra espinosa
ThreeCubed
WJacobC
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
WilliamstheJohn
NickTheNick
Psych0Ch3f
FalmerbloodElixir
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Falthron
Oliveriver
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Where should the expandable menu be placed in the game screen?
Top right corner
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c38%Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 38% [ 15 ]
Bottom left corner
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c62%Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 62% [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 40

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyThu May 22, 2014 8:47 am

@Nick why not? we have been discussing the elements of the GUI and what better way to show progress than a concept? Also, I think that we need a reproduce button because new players won't know. Especially the arrogant ones that skip the tutorial(like me :P)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyThu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Well you can if you want, but it doesn't really serve a purpose until it's one that encompasses all the UI elements that are agreed to be necessary. 

Well cell division is an action of the cell anyways, so it would have to be a hotkey the player can use anyways, and I think the player should at least be expected to know how to reproduce. So I don't think we should have one, although I think it's up to debate. 

Also, Oliver, I forgot to mention in my previous post, but mutation points are not collected over time. Rather, every time you enter the cell editor, you begin with 100 MP, no matter what you did during that life, so MP would not have to be shown in the UI.
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyThu May 22, 2014 3:58 pm

So you get a mutation budget every time you enter the editor? That could work if you use up reproductose upon enter
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySun May 25, 2014 11:59 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Well the benefit of having them on an expandable menu as opposed to a pause menu is that it creates a much smaller and less obtrusive UI, in my opinion, because pause menus usually take up the center of the screen.

In that case, we'll need another pause mechanism. Most games do it via a menu, but I suppose that's not the only way.

I'd completely forgotten the statistics option. That's certainly one area currently lacking in detail, both conceptually and in terms of implementation. Are there any other GUI elements that have been overlooked? I'll have a think and edit this post later if I remember any.

TheRabiesGuineaPig wrote:
Also, I think that we need a reproduce button because new players won't know.

Agreed - I feel like entering the editor is too important a gameplay mechanic to leave solely as a hotkey.

NickTheNick wrote:
Also, Oliver, I forgot to mention in my previous post, but mutation points are not collected over time. Rather, every time you enter the cell editor, you begin with 100 MP, no matter what you did during that life, so MP would not have to be shown in the UI.

I wasn't aware of this, but I can certainly see the advantages. Although there will be some caveats to take into account as well - none of the organelles or upgrades can cost more than 100 MP and all MP costs will need to be balanced so that a reasonable but relatively small change can happen each generation, for instance. Entering the editor should undoubtedly require a significant amount of RpAse too, preventing the player from spamming generations at their will (Spore anyone?).
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon May 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
I'd completely forgotten the statistics option. That's certainly one area currently lacking in detail, both conceptually and in terms of implementation. Are there any other GUI elements that have been overlooked? I'll have a think and edit this post later if I remember any.
Has a controls menu been discussed?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2014 1:49 am

What do you mean a controls menu? Do you mean an option in the pause menu allowing for the re-binding of controls/hotkeys for the game?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2014 9:22 am

NickTheNick wrote:
option in the pause menu
Not just in the pause menu -- people will want to rebind in the main menu too. As for RabiesPig's question, I don't believe we have, but now's a good time.
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 3:24 am

NickTheNick wrote:
What do you mean a controls menu? Do you mean an option in the pause menu allowing for the re-binding of controls/hotkeys for the game?
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  :elephant: 
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Ok, so we need to create a decent looking GUI for the game but, as I am not a programmer, most of my skills are limited to the looks department. I have a rough idea of how to place boxes and get the computer to recognize the positions of buttons but I'm pretty much stumped from there. I would appreciate a list of what buttons/menus to add in and also how to program them. Not just for my briefing, but as a reference for whoever is involved. I'm hoping for a lot of input from the skilled developers like Crovea and Oliveriver. As we are yet to establish a concrete design.

Here is where my design ball is rolling towards at the moment:

Last edited by TheRabiesGuineaPig on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made picture smaller)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Could you make it smaller? The image goes off the edge of my screen, and I have a very large monitor.
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 2:50 am

I am not sure how to make it smaller. Do you mean the actual file?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 3:10 am

No just the resolution.
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

Here is an annotated version as I felt it needed some explanation:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Seregon wrote:
What to do about changing compound capacities is still an unsolved problem.  There are a few options for representing it graphically though:

Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Bootstapp_tools_12
1 - Have a single bar showing how the overall capacity of the cell is occupied by different compounds, something like the image above.  This clearly shows how both the concentrations of each compound, and the overall available space, change.  However, it may be a little difficult to read, especially if there are many compounds, some with relatively small concentrations.

2 - Have each compounds bar show how much of the total storage its using, and also show how much storage is available, either with a vertical line on the bar, or by greying part of it out.  Using the above image as an example again, imagine that the green part is that used by a particular compound, the yellow part is space available (to this, or any other compound), and might be colored white, and the red + white parts are space occupied by all other compounds, and colored grey.  This is a little clearer than the above method, but will have the result that most of the bars are mostly grey, with low compound levels, and the same information is duplicated many times (most of the bars will have the same amount of grey).

3 - Show compound levels as an absolute measure, instead of relative to available storage.  Or somehow show both an absolute level and some measure of the space still available.  I'm not sure how this would work graphically though.

I think the best approach to dealing with this will be to just have a bar for each compound, and colour in the bar to show how much of the total space of the cell is held by that compound. Free space could be its own bar. If we try this and find it doesn't work, we could try some other methods.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Sorry to double post, but here is my idea of how to minimize the UI, based on what we know we need to include.

Concept:

Also I was thinking that instead of going for a solid dark grey coloured UI as some earlier images showed we go for more of a transparent grayish blue (this image does not convey that). Also, the shapes are not meant to show the final shapes, only where the shattered styled shapes should be located.

Also, the top left UI element and the bottom left I think should be independent, so that when the player drags the cursor to the bottom of the screen the bottom element slides in but the top doesn't, and vice versa. In the game's options the player should be able to lock the bottom and top left separately so they are always shown on screen.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Those positions look pretty good.
I have an idea on how to display organelle health and compound capacity very intuitively.
Using a Radar Chart we can show the levels of many compounds simultaneously and it becomes very obvious when compound balance is disrupted. it also will most likely save on screenspace, since we could easily overlay compound level and organelle health diagrams onto one chart using two different line colors.

Technical discussion on this thread.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:27 pm

A radar chart sounds really great for compound stores, and pretty good for organelle function; but I'm not too keen on having them overlap -- chances are good that organelle-type count and compound-type count within a cell won't always be the same, so we'll have misaligned axes, which gets ugly.

One great extension I can think of for a compound-store radar map is displaying some measure of projected compound levels -- perhaps using a gradient on each line to show where it's tending (a stronger, farther-leading gradient indicating faster change), or more clearly but maybe more confusingly, another fainter line for projected stores. Or perhaps even a faded hue gradient, so you can look however far into the future as you like easily, by looking at a different color.

Another useful feature would be to scale the axes logarithmically -- to cover a wider range of useful data.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 pm

moopli wrote:
A radar chart sounds really great for compound stores, and pretty good for organelle function; but I'm not too keen on having them overlap -- chances are good that organelle-type count and compound-type count within a cell won't always be the same, so we'll have misaligned axes, which gets ugly.

One great extension I can think of for a compound-store radar map is displaying some measure of projected compound levels -- perhaps using a gradient on each line to show where it's tending (a stronger, farther-leading gradient indicating faster change), or more clearly but maybe more confusingly, another fainter line for projected stores. Or perhaps even a faded hue gradient, so you can look however far into the future as you like easily, by looking at a different color.

Another useful feature would be to scale the axes logarithmically -- to cover a wider range of useful data.
I think a simpler method of visually showing projected levels would be color. For example, when compound levels are projected to rise, the node is more blue, when they are projected to fall, the node is more red. That means that at a glance one can tell if the computer thinks they're headed for a catastrophe if one node becomes very red.
Also, what's your opinion on showing current trends vs projected trends? It would be easy to just show the color based on the momentary derivative of concentration, but I suspect we'll want a more subtle indication of where your cell is headed.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Anything more than momentary derivative requires either a higher-order extrapolation or actual simulation. While the computer will be able to handle some calculations, predicting the behaviour of a chaotic system (correctly) quickly becomes intractable. Of course, since we can't easily predict player behaviour (and even if we could, we wouldn't want to incorporate that data as it would violate the implicit contract between UI and player), then we would never want to predict too far ahead.

I think, unless for actuarial purposes (ie getting microbe health, so the GDD thread), we'll be safe with linear extrapolation.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:55 pm

moopli wrote:
Anything more than momentary derivative requires either a higher-order extrapolation or actual simulation. While the computer will be able to handle some calculations, predicting the behaviour of a chaotic system (correctly) quickly becomes intractable. Of course, since we can't easily predict player behaviour (and even if we could, we wouldn't want to incorporate that data as it would violate the implicit contract between UI and player), then we would never want to predict too far ahead.

I think, unless for actuarial purposes (ie getting microbe health, so the GDD thread), we'll be safe with linear extrapolation.
Sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Ninja'd edit: 
Oh wait, make that decaying exponential extrapolation -- process speed scales with reactant concentration (do we also scale it against product concentration? Not familiar with that part of the code yet); which makes for exponentially decaying quantities.

Of course, since exponentials are linear to a probably-good-enough degree, we can save ourselves trouble and stick with linear.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 pm

moopli wrote:
Ninja'd edit: 
Oh wait, make that decaying exponential extrapolation -- process speed scales with reactant concentration (do we also scale it against product concentration? Not familiar with that part of the code yet); which makes for exponentially decaying quantities.

Of course, since exponentials are linear to a probably-good-enough degree, we can save ourselves trouble and stick with linear.
I believe we're not using backwards reactions so there's not plan to scale rate against product concentration. But I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
TheRabiesGuineaPig
Learner
TheRabiesGuineaPig

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 am

From your concept, Nick, I have made some quick adjustments to the image. Unfortunately, the spore graphics style doesn't do it much justice:
https://imgur.com/mZgIWFy
If we are still going with the shards theme, to what extent? Should it be really shardy or more simple like my concept?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Firstly, I agree that transparency is the way to go, seeing as it adds to the overall style of fragility which so far the microbe concepts and music have been heading towards. Not sure about having blue as the main colour, but that might be because I'm still slightly partial to the earlier GUI concepts.

Radar charts look viable as an alternative to compound bars (how they'll fit in with Nick's default compound display customisation I'm not sure), but the technical discussion of them is largely beyond me it seems.

The general layout may require a little more thought, though. Ideally the total area covered by GUI elements should be as minimal as possible. The location of the GUI, even if it is partially transparent, should be taken into account - seeing as the most important game information tends to be in the upper-left corner of the screen (because Westerners' eyes move from left to right when reading so will instinctively start there) it might be a good idea to follow this convention with the pause button/extendable panel and ATP/RpAse stores, with the button to open the panel in the top left corner (with the options extending along the top to the right) and the major compound stores just below it. Also, should possible screen clipping be considered when placing elements at the top of the screen? Until now every button has extended off the screen in some way, whereas it may be possible to have it contained completely within it (though this has the unwanted side effect of appearing to squash the game screen). The overall compound stores I imagine would be positioned similar to the panel in RabiesGuineaPig's image (though obviously retracted as default) to balance out the top-left corner with something in the bottom right.

The list of on-screen GUI elements to take into account has been largely finalised as:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 3:30 pm

That list sounds right, Oliveriver. Going with a radar map means we won't need to include Nick's choose-default-bars idea -- his suggestion was to avoid clutter by reducing the number of variables visible, but using a radar map will allow us to show (likely) all the compounds we'll ever need (~10) together without cluttering. Then again, since we'll likely have many agents, we might need Nick's (or another) solution for agents, as the radar map would get too cluttered with all of them.

I do hope we'll be going with the shard theme though -- the current placeholder UI doesn't do the shard theme justice, but shards would afford some very pretty transition effects (which, coincidentally, I've been looking into doing with CEGUI). Since a lot of the UI is meant to hide out of the way unless the player triggers its appearance, we need to consider how it appears. So what would be nice is some rough sketches like this:
Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Exampl10
This one's a quick idea I had some time ago for making a side menu (or for a floating menu, with centre simply appearing instead of sliding in).

Finally, what do you mean with the screen clipping? I'm confused with "contained completely within" and "extending off"; as all the buttons, just as anything else, are contained within the game window, but I may be missing the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe GUI Finalisation   Microbe stage - Microbe GUI Finalisation - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe GUI Finalisation
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next