Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
A humble introduction. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
A humble introduction. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
A humble introduction. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
A humble introduction. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
A humble introduction. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
A humble introduction. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
A humble introduction. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
A humble introduction. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
A humble introduction. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
A humble introduction. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
A humble introduction. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
A humble introduction. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
A humble introduction. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
A humble introduction. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
A humble introduction. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
A humble introduction. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
A humble introduction. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
A humble introduction. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
A humble introduction. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
A humble introduction. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

A humble introduction.

Go down 
+2
MitochondriaBox
K2017
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

A humble introduction. Empty
PostSubject: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:48 am

Hello! I was first introduced to this project after hearing that some group was making a sequel to Spore. I was like "A sequel to Spore?! Holy crud I must have it now!". This was of course not the case, as Thrive is much more than Spore could ever be . In any case, I would like to help out with stuff! I have only a tiny bit of coding knowledge (I know most of the theory though), and I have dabbled in composing some music. I have a track that may fit in with the microbe editor vibe, and I would like to know if anyone is interested in hearing it.

Anyways, I hope to be of some help to the awe inspiring project that is Thrive!
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 7:19 pm

K2017 wrote:
Hello! I was first introduced to this project after hearing that some group was making a sequel to Spore. I was like "A sequel to Spore?! Holy crud I must have it now!". This was of course not the case, as Thrive is much more than Spore could ever be . In any case, I would like to help out with stuff! I have only a tiny bit of coding knowledge (I know most of the theory though), and I have dabbled in composing some music. I have a track that may fit in with the microbe editor vibe, and I would like to know if anyone is interested in hearing it.

Anyways, I hope to be of some help to the awe inspiring project that is Thrive!

Nice to meet you! It's not exactly a Spore sequel, more like a fan remake, but the effect remains.

It's going to take years to get all of the game's stages down, but we'll all be enjoying this game on the way. Certainly a wider scope than Spore (the different stages are more than minigames).

Not sure if there's any more room in the microbe music department, but let's hear it anyway, eh? Hopefully there's room left, but if there isn't, then it could certainly fit somewhere else. We are going to need Multicellular Editor themes, of course.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 am

Welcome!

I'm in charge of anything musical here, so feel free to ask any questions you have on that side of development. As for this piece of music, for now the microbe soundtrack is complete, but if we get enough high quality extra compositions for it, there's no reason not to amend the list. However, it's more likely something that has a microbe editor vibe would work for a multicellular editor as well.

For now you can upload a YouTube video or put it on Soundcloud or whatever you want and post it in this thread, but if you're granted developer access by a mod post any of your music here.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Alright, I've got it uploaded

I'm still not very good at composing music, but whatever, that is for you to decide .
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Yep, sounds pretty editor-y. I think it'd fit well with the other Microbe Editor themes.

However, if there's no room left there, then I think it'd also work for forests and/or kelp forests. It just fits really well with the image of light shining through foliage

... Or maybe as an upbeat rain/storm theme... A snowing theme?

The song kind of has a lonely feel to it, could work for an open or icy ocean.

As far as other editors go, it could go with editing a plant pretty well.
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 3:23 am

Yeah, I guess it does fit quite well with multiple biomes. I could work on making more specific themes for the biomes you mentioned. Is there a list of biomes anywhere that I can refer to?
Back to top Go down
Loony Toony
Newcomer

PostSubject: This sounds great   A humble introduction. EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 8:11 am

This is really good stuff, and could be easily applied to the editor and fit. Really great stuff.
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 am

Very athmospheric. Yep, I could place this theme in so many different environments, but for sure it fits very well for a multicellular editor. I really like it
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/m4d3r0
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 am

Madero wrote:
Very athmospheric. Yep, I could place this theme in so many different environments, but for sure it fits very well for a multicellular editor.

Agreed. It's got just the right amount of variation (though at a stretch I'd say not quite enough), and it's very atmospheric. However, the shimmering sound gets annoying and is probably too prominent - I'd say either make it quieter or pan it outwards.
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 4:45 am

I'll work on a version with less of the shimmering sound. I have a lot of school work though, so it'll take some time before I get that done.
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 11:14 am

Alrighty then, got a new version ready. Tell me what you think!

Last edited by K2017 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 11:23 am

It seems that the video is bugged here on the forums. "The owner of this video has disabled playback on other web sites"
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 11:31 am

Looks like the problem is on youtube's side since I can't even edit the video anymore. We'll just have to wait for it to get fixed I guess.

Scratch that, I've fixed it. -_-
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 10:17 am

Hey! So I've got a new one for you to listen to. I was going for a more tribal theme this time. Tell me what you think!
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Quite an interesting drumbeat - the patterns are really nice, although some of the sounds could possibly use some added reverb and panning. Also, that scraping (?) percussion instrument works well, but not as well when used so frequently. Maybe only use it once every four bars as a "fill"?
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
Quite an interesting drumbeat - the patterns are really nice, although some of the sounds could possibly use some added reverb and panning. Also, that scraping (?) percussion instrument works well, but not as well when used so frequently. Maybe only use it once every four bars as a "fill"?
I agree with Oliver in the most that he said, but not in the patterns, the tempo seems Belgiumed up, it's too chaotic, sorry but i can't enjoy it. I like much more your previous theme. In my opinion you should mold it quite a lot. Oh and also you could add more melody with a different instrument (maybe a submelody, maybe a melody B section, or some chords...)
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Well I've changed a few things around, maybe it's a little better? Keep in mind that I have never actually used music notation before, soooo, I do all my compositions be ear.

Also, you were right Madero, the tempo was messed up. It was at 86 bpm where it should'ave been at 96. So for better or for worse, it's a little faster now as well.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:23 pm

That soundtrack reminds me so much of Nanosaur, it's scary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkbjHECQlc)

Do you have the Awakening Stage or early-Society Stage in mind for this?
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Ahhhhh much better, i like the new wooden flute melody
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 3:41 am

@MitochondriaBox I was mostly thinking Awakening Stage, but it may also fit in with the early-Society Stage. You can basically put it wherever you think it may fit. :-)
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Madero wrote:
Ahhhhh much better, i like the new wooden flute melody

Agreed, especially with the flute's slight variance in panning.
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 am

Well I have come up with something a little different this time... I think it fits a more spacey theme? It's pretty darn random though, so some of you might not like it very much. Whatevs though, constructive criticism is always a good thing so rant away!
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 10:28 am

Btw, should I be posting this stuff somewhere other than Applications? It'd be awesome if someone could direct me to the right subforum, or thread, or whatever. :-)
Back to top Go down
Madero
Newcomer
Madero

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 2:52 pm

K2017 wrote:
Btw, should I be posting this stuff somewhere other than Applications? It'd be awesome if someone could direct me to the right subforum, or thread, or whatever. :-)
Yes, you should post your work here.
PD: And for the "ambiance"... For ambiance i understand "background sounds", not melodic things, and I don't like randomness in melodic music, but i like that wavy synth very much (I'd like to know how you did it). On the other hand, the arp in the background seems to not fit.
In summary:
If you want to make a melodic theme, don't make it random.
If you want to make an ambience theme, don't make it melodic, and make it to seem random.
Back to top Go down
K2017
Newcomer
K2017

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Trouble is, I'm not allowed to post there :/. Also, I see what you mean with the melodic versus ambient style. I think I might revise this to make it one or the other, whatever I feel works. Btw, which wavy synth do you mean? There are three different ones that play throughout the piece, so I'm not sure which one you are talking about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A humble introduction.   A humble introduction. Empty

Back to top Go down

A humble introduction.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next