Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
New here - Student of Biology Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

New here - Student of Biology

Go down 
+2
Daniferrito
Toughtopay
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Toughtopay
Newcomer
Toughtopay

New here - Student of Biology Empty
PostSubject: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 pm

I saw your post on indiedb asking for biologists. I'm in the middle of my first year at university but I have a good 16 hours worth of lectures on organelles (which seem to be a major part already) so I think I can be of use to you guys right now.

Since I'm new and about a week late to the call I'd greatly appreciate it if someone directed me to the right place.

I don't know much about the project so far but I haven't yet seen the words parasitism, reproduction or virus. Just putting that out there.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 am

Welcome, Thoughtopay!

As the first thing you ask for is a place to go to, i'll send you to the microbial compounds and organelles thread. You can igonre the last two pages between ido and me, as they just speak about the phisics side of propulsion. We still need to know how much force each propulsion organelle puts out.

Other than that, we need a description of what does each organelle does. We alredy have some lists of organelles (at least 4), but they only have early descriptions. I'll quote myself on what we exactly need:

Spoiler:

I may have missed some things, so reading the whole post is advised.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 am

Welcome...!

Have fun... and about compounds and organelles talked with Seregon, he is the main programmer, but he also did most of the work about these stuff.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 am

Toughtopay wrote:
I haven't yet seen the words parasitism, reproduction or virus. Just putting that out there.
The first is like symbiosis, which we have discussed. I think the main problems with these is that simulating them if difficult with our current auto-evo (automatic-evolution) concept (this).

Reproduction. Discussion of this topic consistently leads to backwards progress. (Prepare yourself…)

Viruses have been decided to be simply a semi-random chance of infection (higher under certain conditions) in multicellular. It is questionable whether they are even a form of life, so whether they exist as an organism or just semi-random chance (like multicellular) in cellular is fine either way, in my opinion. I'll try to refrain from making the obvious joke that would present itself if Thrive contained viruses… But it seems like I have already failed.
Viruses have been discussed a lot, in various topics. Since the forum's built-in search doesn't seem to understand that threads consist of posts, with words in them which it could search through, here's a couple of Google searches of the forum: virus, disease

Oh, and welcome! Any more questions can be posted either here, or in the misc. thread.
Back to top Go down
Toughtopay
Newcomer
Toughtopay

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Ah, that's a handy trick to know. Googling for the forum + the topic I want.

Thanks for the various links, I notice that asexual reproduction isn't getting much love because it's basically cloning and doesn't lead to much diversity, but a lot of the time an organism with the option of asexual reproduction also has the option for sexual reproduction, which ultimately means it's a way to ensure the survival of the species and more often than not allows more diversity, even in the short-term.

Following is a quick, questionable demonstration of this concept I just made.

Warning! Math!

Spoiler:

Of course there's a ton more factors to take into account, but it could offer a definite advantage early-game and some variety. Or do you play the entire microbial stage as the same cell? This definitely wasn't the place for this but I got carried away and I don't want to just let this disappear by not posting.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Thats a good point about mixed reproduction. It actually benefits even more the asexual way, as being only sexual means that if you can't find a mate, you dont reproduce at all. However, as there is no way we can keep track of every specimen on the game, each with its own caracteristics, we would need to have a simplified way of keeping track of the population as a whole.

For the search, the best way is to use the search bar on the left, but choose the google search option.

Actually, don't bother seregon too much. He has recently been accepted on a prestigious college where he lives, and can't spend much time on here. For the programming side, you can just contact me. Or if it is questions on how feasible (whether it can be programmed) something is, just ask in the pertinent thread.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Thats a good point about mixed reproduction. It actually benefits even more the asexual way, as being only sexual means that if you can't find a mate, you dont reproduce at all. However, as there is no way we can keep track of every specimen on the game, each with its own caracteristics, we would need to have a simplified way of keeping track of the population as a whole.

For the search, the best way is to use the search bar on the left, but choose the google search option.

Actually, don't bother seregon too much. He has recently been accepted on a prestigious college where he lives, and can't spend much time on here. For the programming side, you can just contact me. Or if it is questions on how feasible (whether it can be programmed) something is, just ask in the pertinent thread.

So who could we bother about the more theoretical side?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

What do you exactly mean by theoretical?

Anyway, when in doubt, as long as it isn't too deep into biology or chemistry, you can bother me, i'll gladly help you as much as i can.
Back to top Go down
Toughtopay
Newcomer
Toughtopay

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Ah, noted about Seregon. I've already sent him a pm a few hours ago but I will refrain from sending him any more.
There are some pretty basic equations for population evolution which I have written down somewhere. I noticed there's a thread about the topic though, so I'll read that tomorrow and then if I still feel those could be useful I will post them there.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Daniferrito wrote:

Actually, Scio's the one who just got accepted (one of the reason's he's also very busy), I'm 4-5 months away from finishing my PhD, so also very busy and stressed. I do still manage to read most threads here, but posting takes me a lot more time, so I'll only do that if it's on a topic I know best. Do feel free to pm me or ask me a question in a thread, I'll respond as soon as I can, but it may take a day or two. Any questions on the compound system, populaiton dynamics, or ecology I'll probably be the most help, though there are others here who know those subjects too.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Seregon wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

Actually, Scio's the one who just got accepted (one of the reason's he's also very busy), I'm 4-5 months away from finishing my PhD, so also very busy and stressed. I do still manage to read most threads here, but posting takes me a lot more time, so I'll only do that if it's on a topic I know best. Do feel free to pm me or ask me a question in a thread, I'll prespond as soon as I can, but it may take a day or two. Any questions on the compound system, populaiton dynamics, or ecology I'll probably be the most help, though there are others here who know those subjects too.

Oh... Ph.D? Dynamics analysis, right?

Good luck with your theses!

Also, you know best most of the current discussion's topics.

P.S.
By "theoretical" I referred to the compound system and such.

Also, will be glad to bother you about practical programming.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Seregon wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

Actually, Scio's the one who just got accepted (one of the reason's he's also very busy), I'm 4-5 months away from finishing my PhD, so also very busy and stressed. I do still manage to read most threads here, but posting takes me a lot more time, so I'll only do that if it's on a topic I know best. Do feel free to pm me or ask me a question in a thread, I'll respond as soon as I can, but it may take a day or two. Any questions on the compound system, populaiton dynamics, or ecology I'll probably be the most help, though there are others here who know those subjects too.

Oh. Ok, then. I remember hearing that someone got accepted, and that you were busy, and i supossed it way you. My fault for being lazy and not searching back where i read it.

@ido: Bother me as much as you want. I'm personally bored at my college. Last time they teached me how a while loop works three diferent times.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Welcome to the Thrive forums Toughtopay!

It's great to see another daunting soul join this epic project. It's amazing to see someone with your caliber of biology joining us. There are a lot of threads discussing the microbe stage, but the one Dani gave is a good one for current discussion. I'm glad to see our news update has brought in some talented artists and a biologist.
Back to top Go down
Toughtopay
Newcomer
Toughtopay

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome, by the way. This is a really interesting project for me, just as much because I want to see the game made as because it pushes me to dig deeper in my studies.
Plus I already feel that this is a great, friendly and motivated community, and it's just the kind of spirit that I value incredibly much.

Here's to ambition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here - Student of Biology   New here - Student of Biology Empty

Back to top Go down

New here - Student of Biology
Page 1 of 1