Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Compound Tags and Properties Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Compound Tags and Properties

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Compound Tags and Properties Empty
PostSubject: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Compounds form the very basis of all the stages of gameplay. They are an integral asset to organisms, biomes, the tech editor, and many other fields, but here we will focus mostly on their application in the Strategy Mode.

Now the issue has raised several times of compounds being tagged as "x" or tagged as "y", or having a property of value "z", so here we will finally nail down all of these tags and properties into a comprehensive list for future reference.

Tags

Tags are used by the computer to identify something, or to categorize it. For example, if a lizard was tagged by the computer as "reptilian", and then a command was fed to the computer to kill all "reptilian" organisms, than the lizard would be killed. Another use for tags is for organization. If there was a list of organisms, the player could filter it to only show "reptilian" organisms, and lizard would be on that list.

Tags are also referred to as Boolean values, since they are either a true or false, yes or no. An organism cannot be 3.72 "reptilian", and it cannot be -5x/8^0.6 "reptilian". It is either "reptilian" or it isn't.

Properties

Properties on the other hand are numerical values, not just yes or no's. If I asked you for the density of iron, true would not be a sufficient answer. A numerical value, like 7.874 g·cm−3, would be a sufficient value. Properties are common to all objects within that class. All compounds must have the density property, there can't be some that do and some that don't. However, some Properties can only exist for certain compounds, provided there is the appropriate tag. For example, Steel does not have the tag "Combustible", and so it does not have a numerical value property for "Energy Output", even though some other compounds do.

With that explained, in this thread will discuss any tags or properties to apply to compounds within the game. Below there is a template compound which will contain all of the finalized tags and compounds. Quotation marks indicate the term as a tag, whereas no quotation marks indicates that it is a property. An asterisk means it is a unique field.

Template

Compound

*Name:
---Properties---
Density: (g/cm3)
---Tags With Properties---
"Combustible"
>Energy Output: (MJ)
>Oxygen Intake: (Mass-kg)
>*Emissions: (Compounds and each one's Mass-kg)
"Decayable"
>Decay Rate: (%/time interval)
---Tags---
"Solid"
"Liquid"
"Gas"
"Metal"
"Wood"
"Rock"
"Radioactive"
"Conductive"
"Oxygen"
"Fibrous"
"Synthetic"
"Organic"
"Food"

Last edited by NickTheNick on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptyTue May 14, 2013 2:25 am

Tags:

-Solid I would divide this into two kinds of solids. "Solid" solids are things like wood, metal or plastic. "Non-solid" solids are things like sand, which technically are solids, and can be stored like one, but cannot be used as construction material.

-Conductive (for electricity)
-Oxygen (to tell the computer that this is the other component in thecombustion reaction, even if only oxygen is tagged with it)

(i had so many ideas about this. Now that i have to write them down, they are not comming out.)
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:33 am

I've mentioned this before somewhere, but tagging something as combustible isn't really the neatest way of doing that. Instead, combustible compounds will have a 'combustion' process associated with them, which includes most of the other useful information needed (reaction rate, ratio of compound used : oxygen used : water/co2/outputs produced : energy produced). We could deal with radioactive decay (+ fission/fusion) the same way.

I haven't got time to comment on the rest for now, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with, and I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Tags:

-Solid I would divide this into two kinds of solids. "Solid" solids are things like wood, metal or plastic. "Non-solid" solids are things like sand, which technically are solids, and can be stored like one, but cannot be used as construction material.

-Conductive (for electricity)
-Oxygen (to tell the computer that this is the other component in thecombustion reaction, even if only oxygen is tagged with it)

(i had so many ideas about this. Now that i have to write them down, they are not comming out.)
I think it would be better to just create a new tag called "Construction Material" or "Building Material" for compounds that can be built from, instead of "Non-Solid" for those that can't. Conductive and Oxygen are two good ones. I know exactly what you mean with getting to posting and then forgetting what you wanted to say.

Seregon wrote:
I've mentioned this before somewhere, but tagging something as combustible isn't really the neatest way of doing that.  Instead, combustible compounds will have a 'combustion' process associated with them, which includes most of the other useful information needed (reaction rate, ratio of compound used : oxygen used : water/co2/outputs produced : energy produced).  We could deal with radioactive decay (+ fission/fusion) the same way.

I haven't got time to comment on the rest for now, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with, and I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Yeah, I remember that suggestion, and it's taken into account. I'll edit the OP, since I think I wasn't very clear, but the tag enables or disables the process. The properties of Energy Output, Oxygen Intake, and Emissions (which are all based off of each kg of said compound combusted, so the proportions are taken into account) are only enabled if the Combustible tag is true.

--------

I also got some more tags to add.

"Synthetic"
"Organic"
"Fibrous"
"Food"

Last edited by NickTheNick on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Another tag.

"Ceramic".

Have you got any further ones Dani? Any one else got anymore?
Back to top Go down
Raptorstorm
Newcomer
Raptorstorm

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Here are some tags, "luminescent" and "Plasma".
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Plasma sounds good but what would luminescent be good for?
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Nick he probably meant this:
Luminescent (creates light)
Think bioluminescent bacteria.

maybe..

edit:
I just realized we need to add light creating bacteria to thrive anyway so creatures can evolve bio-luminescence as a form of communication.
This could be a way of going about it?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:45 pm

No, this is specifically for tags to compounds. What purpose would there be to tagging a compound as luminescent?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I dont think think compounds will create light.

This tags are for compounds. Bioluminescent creatures are a different matter.

Plasma tag. What would that be used for? What compound would actually be taged as plasma?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compound Tags and Properties   Compound Tags and Properties Empty

Back to top Go down

Compound Tags and Properties
Page 1 of 1