Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Senses integration. - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Senses integration.

Go down 
+27
WilliamstheJohn
Immortal_Dragon
PrometheusPrime
NickTheNick
Atrox
Deathbite42
Milan0ka
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
mike roberts
ParadoxJuice
Tenebrarum
andry796
Djohaal
caekdaemon
fredpie
Commander Keen
Noitulove
The Uteen
Darkgamma
Albalrogue
2creator
US_of_Alaska
Poisson
Lukas99
GamerXA
~sciocont
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Noitulove
Regular

Senses integration. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 5:54 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Djohaal wrote:
It'd be quite interesting if we had blurred vision if playing with a creature with unevolved eyes.
Perhaps then sound and smell would play an even bigger role?

I jsut had an idea for smell too, what about directional "pings?"
Eg, if you are near food and it is to your left, every few seconds it'd create a colored ping of some particle effects (or perhaps an icon) suggesting there's food nearby to your left. The closer you get to it the more frequent the pings.
Same would go to predators, your nest, whatever.
A strong smell sense should allow you to see actual smell clouds and trails on your screen. We have to convert everything to our strongest sense, sight.

Why don't we combine both of these?

The particle effects could be cloud particle effects, that ping more and more frequently (thus becoming more opaque) the closer you get to the source of the smell. They could be located on the side of the screen closest to where the source is--if an edible plant is to your left, then the clouds might be at the left of your screen, or maybe an arrow or just a general indicator.

Also, a while ago, I remember posting about these clouds being color-coordinated. I don't remember much of it but it basically went "green clouds = food, purple clouds = poison" etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Noitulove wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Djohaal wrote:
It'd be quite interesting if we had blurred vision if playing with a creature with unevolved eyes.
Perhaps then sound and smell would play an even bigger role?

I jsut had an idea for smell too, what about directional "pings?"
Eg, if you are near food and it is to your left, every few seconds it'd create a colored ping of some particle effects (or perhaps an icon) suggesting there's food nearby to your left. The closer you get to it the more frequent the pings.
Same would go to predators, your nest, whatever.
A strong smell sense should allow you to see actual smell clouds and trails on your screen. We have to convert everything to our strongest sense, sight.

Why don't we combine both of these?

The particle effects could be cloud particle effects, that ping more and more frequently (thus becoming more opaque) the closer you get to the source of the smell. They could be located on the side of the screen closest to where the source is--if an edible plant is to your left, then the clouds might be at the left of your screen, or maybe an arrow or just a general indicator.

Also, a while ago, I remember posting about these clouds being color-coordinated. I don't remember much of it but it basically went "green clouds = food, purple clouds = poison" etc. etc.
That sounds good. I think we should assosciate colors with known and unknown smells as well.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Remember that many animals can tell things about others creatures, like their health or virility, by their smell.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Remember that many animals can tell things about others creatures, like their health or virility, by their smell.
True.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:34 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
True.
How would we represent this, though? A mouse-over could reveal info, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 11:37 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
True.
How would we represent this, though? A mouse-over could reveal info, maybe?

Everyone forgot of mouse-overs so far. Great idea!
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Couldn't we use colours to tell you this?

Green = living and edible (prey, or plant/fruit not fully grown)

Yellow = good to eat (fresh fruit and or meat)

Orange = Gone off (mouldy fruit, old carcass swarming with flies (possibly entering the poisonous with the latter)) or living and inedible

Reddish orange = Poisonous

Red = Predator

Then...

Blue = Inedible (Like a brick... Or gravel. That sort of thing)

Purple = Unknown (not yet encountered, interact with it to assign smell a place in above list of smells)

So how's that?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:32 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Couldn't we use colours to tell you this?

Green = living and edible (prey, or plant/fruit not fully grown)

Yellow = good to eat (fresh fruit and or meat)

Orange = Gone off (mouldy fruit, old carcass swarming with flies (possibly entering the poisonous with the latter)) or living and inedible

Reddish orange = Poisonous

Red = Predator

Then...

Blue = Inedible (Like a brick... Or gravel. That sort of thing)

Purple = Unknown (not yet encountered, interact with it to assign smell a place in above list of smells)

So how's that?
That lookis pretty straightforward.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Eh. That doesn't really tell you health or virility.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Considering how smell feedback is way more qualitative than quantitative, I think that mouseovers would be the best solution.

Ulteen has a point though, we'll need a color standarization so people don't get confused.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Djohaal wrote:
Considering how smell feedback is way more qualitative than quantitative, I think that mouseovers would be the best solution.

Ulteen has a point though, we'll need a color standarization so people don't get confused.

QFT
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Djohaal wrote:

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Eh. That doesn't really tell you health or virility.

Sorry, I wasn't quite awake when I wrote that last post, so I wasn't taking in much information...

But yeah... So, adding on the the colour thing, that I'm glad people liked , we need more detailed information, like health and/or virility, soo...

Hang on, a thought just occurred to me: Maybe the smell could get more 'detailed' the closer you get to the source? You know how when you are far away you just get a faint smell, but then when you are right up to the object it gets very distinct? But implementing this... Maybe a pop-up of details could come up when you do the mouse-over, with more info the closer you are. It might not be a pop-up, but I'll assume it is for this post.

And a thought occurred to me while I was writing that: Smells can linger. How will this work, without spamming up the screen?

Oh, and maybe the health could be a little sort of orb that comes up with a colour inside the pop-up, but paler colours than your own health indicator, starting off white when at a close proximity, then getting more coloured until you are right up with your nose up their armpits, but still fairly pale/murky. This way, you wont get as clear a health indication for other creatures as for yourself. Because you know the clearest out of anyone else how much pain you feel, a smell cannot compare to a direct link to the brain.

And, on the comment on indicating virility, I have an idea to add on to the list of smell colours:

Pink = A creature available to reproduce with (not necessarily of your exact species, but close enough, to allow variation/mild crossbreeding)

I think a separate colour for this is okay, I assume you'd not be able to mate with a predator (and on the rare chance you can, the red predator smell should take priority), or want to know if you can eat a possible mate.

And other information should/could include:

Main thought: Not literally thought, but something like 'hungry'
Hunger&Thirst orb: Hang on...

Not Hungry = Pale orange

Hungry = Vivid Orange
(sorry, no different shades of orange in this forum )

Not thirsty = Pale Blue

Thirsty = Vivid Blue

Hungry & Thirsty = Lighter murky brown

Dying Of Hunger And Thirst = Darker murky brown (That's supposed to be brown? )

Dead = Black

On with the list (can I add at this point most of this is going to be under... Advanced smell)...

Energy levels? (Based on amount of sweat stench, but might not work for some organisms... Which opens up a new area of evolution that tries to be 'invisible to smell'... Insmellability)
Age (Going on the basis of old people smell funny)
Mood
Personality? (That might be a bit unrealistic&/unincluded)
Gender... Maybe... Or something on the class thing that insects have, I forget the name. Rank? *shrug*
Maybe a general stench rating?
EG:
Smells irresistible!,
smells nice,
smells okay,
smells... Odd,
smells bad,
smells foul!

Maybe more advanced ratings could be included that I haven't thought of:

Smells addictive ;
Smells bad but... I want another whiff;
I think that is waaay past its best before date;
I think I've smelt that smelly smell before...;
I don't smell any smell...

Etc.

Any other ideas for what to include?

Wow, [/longpostislong] today. Maybe I could go for becoming the leader of 'senses'? Eh, maybe not. I'll just stay an ideas guy for now.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Just wondering, how would you disable that? In case you have smelled your local environment, and nothing has changed, yet you dont want the descriptions.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:30 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
Just wondering, how would you disable that? In case you have smelled your local environment, and nothing has changed, yet you dont want the descriptions.

You mean turning off the mouseover? Probably an option, or a toggle key.

Or you have to right-click to bring it up. But then that might stink for those without good noses... I mean it might make it less of a smell thing and more of an info-box. This should stay as a smell feature, as it is based around smell.

Although, maybe all the senses could contribute to this box? Although, that might make it overcrowded with smell info and sight, electro-sense-thingy, and sound info. Maybe function keys could toggle between different sense info shown in the box, and off completely?

Or maybe this is overcomplicating it...
Back to top Go down
ParadoxJuice
Newcomer
ParadoxJuice

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I believe our old solution was to have 'SenseDigits'.

Each item would get a SenseDigit, for example Q3.

Let's say you're a dog and there's a cat with the SenseDigit M6. If you found anouther cat, it'd obviously smell similar but different, thus its SenseDigit would be M5.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Nooo, I'm, losing my 666 post status!

ParadoxJuice wrote:

Let's say you're a dog and there's a cat with the SenseDigit M6. If you found anouther cat, it'd obviously smell similar but different, thus its SenseDigit would be M5.

I doubt that's going to work. As there can be milions of combinations, we would have to show something like AZB192837, and there's no way we could ever have players understand this. There also isn't any reason to use a better method code-wise.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

ParadoxJuice wrote:

I doubt that's going to work. As there can be milions of combinations, we would have to show something like AZB192837, and there's no way we could ever have players understand this. There also isn't any reason to use a better method code-wise.

QFT

We need to consider our player base. Even if the game told me, I'd still get these mixed up easily.

As to lingering senses? Well, if you have a creature with really good smell, than it's unlikely you'd evolve much else so you screen wouldn't be too filled up, and if not, than only strong scents like cat-posts or urine-marked territory would be sources.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

ParadoxJuice wrote:

QFT

We need to consider our player base. Even if the game told me, I'd still get these mixed up easily.

As to lingering senses? Well, if you have a creature with really good smell, than it's unlikely you'd evolve much else so you screen wouldn't be too filled up, and if not, than only strong scents like cat-posts or urine-marked territory would be sources.
QFT and I suppose that makes sense.

OH, the codes! The codes are another thing that could go on the mouse-over menu(e) for people who think they want to remember a certain smell.
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

PostSubject: temporary1   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
For the rock-eating case, you could see other members of your species doing it, so you would do it too. Too bad if you are a hermaphroditic lone wolf.

That gives me an idea. There should be an "examine" function, where the player would select a thing/animal and the player's creature would try to sniff/grab/take a close view of that thing. Basic information would then be given to the player. Of course, examining things like beehive might not be the best idea...

It might not be even perfectly accurate, sometimes labeling poisonous things as healthy.

i really like this "examine" option gives players the chance to explore everything that nature has to offer like it and we are making this game close to nature as possible so it should be included
i think this should go in a independent thread because it is really taking up this thread ideas.

on to the topic at hand, how can are creature gain more acidic stomach acids?
that is a question i have thought of many times. like what organ would need to be used more often to eventually gain this very useful trait. i would think that eating somewhat rotted food would prepare an animal because lets just say there is a drought and extinctions a lot of dead meat if i was starving i would try to eat anything but if i were to prepare my animal before hand by eating slightly rotted meat and gained the strong stomach acid and then became a scavenger i would do far better then other animals during natural disasters (etc drought) just wondering
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Leaving a post in support of the "examine" idea. I remember years and years ago when i came up with the KnowledgeBank idea, that was one thing that was crucial to understanding the world around you. I don't see why it would be different now.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 am

Upboating the examine idea. It should be very useful for showing terratorial boundries.

We need to find a way to comunicate information in a good way though. Obviously text, but that still leaves room for making it overly cheesy.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Upboating the examine idea. It should be very useful for showing terratorial boundries.

We need to find a way to comunicate information in a good way though. Obviously text, but that still leaves room for making it overly cheesy.

But we already have a way... The sensory overlay. It could just go through your different senses one by one (hearing being constant, one of the few (or only?) that uses audio) as your creature rolls the object in its hands or views the object from different positions, giving you all the details you can accumulate about the object. In other words, you get all the information your creature can find about the object.

That should cover: Shape (species if living), size (age if living), scratches/wounds, presence of life (if appears to be alive), colour, any movement it displays on examination, all with sight; Sound, contents through shaking, weight through dropping, presence of life (if it responds) all with sound; species, edibility, composition, threat level, general odour, all with smell; texture, temperature, weight, shape, rough composition, moisture, all with touch; rough shape, presence of life, electric field, size, all with electro-sense; temperature, rough shape, size, presence of life (often), all with thermal vision.
That's quite a list of properties. And plenty of overlap, so not all senses are required. And no text needed, it's all through the senses.

The other information, presumably memory, and written record with writing, could then be displayed in a transparent dialog to the side throughout the examination. Hopefully quite a small one considering the amount of information already given above. Just the figures. Maybe some diagrams.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 4:36 pm

If you hurl all of this on the player in a pure graphical way, he will be overwhelmed. Text is much simpler to interpret, not to mention the players will not have to learn it. The examine tool would be very useful especially at the beginning, and as such it should be as simple as possible.

And how would you want to show all of these without morphing the screen to a double rainbow?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
If you hurl all of this on the player in a pure graphical way, he will be overwhelmed. Text is much simpler to interpret, not to mention the players will not have to learn it. The examine tool would be very useful especially at the beginning, and as such it should be as simple as possible.

And how would you want to show all of these without morphing the screen to a double rainbow?
I completely agree- sensory overlay is important, but keep in mind that it could get overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Senses integration. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Senses integration.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Visual-
Jump to: