Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Continental Drift Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Continental Drift Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Continental Drift Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Continental Drift Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Continental Drift Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Continental Drift Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Continental Drift Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Continental Drift Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Continental Drift Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Continental Drift Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Continental Drift Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Continental Drift Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Continental Drift Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Continental Drift Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Continental Drift Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Continental Drift Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Continental Drift Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Continental Drift Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Continental Drift Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Continental Drift Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Continental Drift

Go down 
+4
Inca
~sciocont
Daniferrito
pentomid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pentomid
Newcomer
pentomid

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Since we're striving for a realistic experience here, we want every planet during the multicellular stage to have moving continents, correct? (unless the planet is tectonically dead (in which case it might make the conditions for complex life impossible (Could be wrong but I digress :P))).

So what would be the best way to implement continental drift without it being painfully obvious to the player that the world is moving around them?

I'm concerned about problems like this happening.
Suppose a player nests and evolves their creature in a certain place, say the middle of a plain. If the game moves continents while the player evolves generations, and that plain happens to lie on a fault line. It is possible that the game starts creating a mountain range and the player hatches his/her new creature suddenly on top of a mountain that wasn't there before.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Actually, we might have to skip continental drift altogether. If we store planets as only a seed and generate them each time the player gets close, Implementing continental drift would be plain impossible. Explicitedly storing each part of the planet would allow for an easier implentation of continental drift, but that would force quite small planets.

Actually, we still dont understaund how continental drift works completelly. What forces are involved, and how they interact. 

Said that, my vote is to not simulate continental drift at all.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Actually, we might have to skip continental drift altogether. If we store planets as only a seed and generate them each time the player gets close, Implementing continental drift would be plain impossible. Explicitedly storing each part of the planet would allow for an easier implentation of continental drift, but that would force quite small planets.

Actually, we still dont understaund how continental drift works completelly. What forces are involved, and how they interact. 

Said that, my vote is to not simulate continental drift at all.

I agree with this for now, but I think drift changes wouldn't be too difficult to simulate- take a selection of surface points, then move them to the side, lift them up, or push them down. This is simple in concept, but the logic to it could potentially become very complex. Essentially we would need to generate a drift seed as well to select which section change at what time.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm

We could try and implement it during the pre-space stages when there is only one planet to deal with and then stop it when there are more planets? Might be more practical that way?

Other than that, its probably not practical then.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Dalroc
Newcomer

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Inca wrote:
We could try and implement it during the pre-space stages when there is only one planet to deal with and then stop it when there are more planets? Might be more practical that way?

Other than that, its probably not practical then.
This is probably the best way to do it.
During the aware through to industrial stages of the game you are constrained to one single planet and plate tectonics would be a great way to implement variation.
Once you're out in space you got so much else anyway, that plate tectonics and continental drift isn't needed.
One thing that is a problem with this though, is what about god mode? When you can play as the organism of your choice on a planet of your choice.
Will the plate tectonics be enabled during the period you're playing organism mode and then stop when you pop back out?

Either way, I think continental drift is a must almost!
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Erm I hadn't thought about that. I think we'd have to stop it in god mode as you'll be dealing with lots of planets so it might not be necessary to have it. Or maybe you could turn it on and off for planets, so you can have it on your planet, and not others? Could work?
Back to top Go down
Dalroc
Newcomer

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Inca wrote:
Erm I hadn't thought about that. I think we'd have to stop it in god mode as you'll be dealing with lots of planets so it might not be necessary to have it. Or maybe you could turn it on and off for planets, so you can have it on your planet, and not others? Could work?
Yeah that could work.. But people will probably forget about it and will end up with hundreds of planets with tectonics that is chomping up the memory.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Maybe impose a reminder when you leave a planet and have more than 10 planets with continental drift enabled. Then you can disable if you want, or leave it if your comp can handle it.
Back to top Go down
Dalroc
Newcomer

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Inca wrote:
Maybe impose a reminder when you leave a planet and have more than 10 planets with continental drift enabled. Then you can disable if you want, or leave it if your comp can handle it.
Hmm.. That sounds more like a god tool..
I think that would be a little to much control for a non-ascended spieces!
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Continental drift is currently too difficult to simulate with our concept. Merely suggesting the idea is easy, but unless someone can come up with a sound mathematical/programming explanation of how it could fit into the game, it's a no go.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah I should've considered that Nick, I can't see that be implemented properly.
Back to top Go down
Dalroc
Newcomer

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Continental drift is currently too difficult to simulate with our concept. Merely suggesting the idea is easy, but unless someone can come up with a sound mathematical/programming explanation of how it could fit into the game, it's a no go.
I can understand that ridges, volcanoes and mountains can be hard to generate through plate tectonics.. But just the drift of static continents? Where they come in touch and separate again, to encourage speciation? That doesn't sound like it would be to hard to implement, but I am no programmer! ^^
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 7:12 pm

I suppose, but we should coniser the actual benefits of that in game before we decide if it should be implimented, because I don't really think it will add much if it is just movement of blocks of land around that don't really impact anything.
Back to top Go down
Dalroc
Newcomer

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Inca wrote:
I suppose, but we should coniser the actual benefits of that in game before we decide if it should be implimented, because I don't really think it will add much if it is just movement of blocks of land around that don't really impact anything.
Hmm, I find it fascinating, even if its just static continents. See animals cross over to land masses that have been isolated from them earlier and letting the player explore a new continent could be cool. Also adds some dynamics for wars and stuff later on.
But it is true, this should be kept low prio.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Dalroc wrote:
I can understand that ridges, volcanoes and mountains can be hard to generate through plate tectonics.. But just the drift of static continents? Where they come in touch and separate again, to encourage speciation? That doesn't sound like it would be to hard to implement, but I am no programmer! ^^
That is why it is important to have experience in game development, programming, scripting, or the like, because any idea can seem simple to implement, but as one of our coder's posted not too long ago on this very thread, it would be next to impossible.

I agree that it would be a cool feature, but something you forgot is that it would actually have to be terminated at the onset of Awakening, not Space, because the time scale in Awakening slows down to the point where evolution, continental drift, and other long paced natural processes are no longer simulated.
Back to top Go down
M3rox
Newcomer
M3rox

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm

In my opinion (if we'd implement this) we should work with as many preset values as we can while keeping it realistic enough. So my suggestion is the following:

First, the continents are randomly generated (shape and height), and also the directions of their movement are random. Some continents will collide and some will move away from each other. If they collide, mountains will be slowly generated (first small hills, bigger hills and so on) in an predefined area (maybe 10km away from the connected edges).
If the continents move away from each other, a rift will be slowly generated.
I think continental drift should be implemented as a "turn-based" system:
Every generation would be one turn. But we don't want that your creature suddenly sits on a mountain, so the height-difference should be limited (maybe 1m a generation?).
The mountains and rifts could be made like biomes in minecraft, with seeds.

What do you think?

By the way, sorry for using always the same words and terms, I'm still learning this language, so if you don't understand something, I'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm

We all know the idea behind continental drift, as you explained, but that is not a clear and specific system to implement it.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 am

It will take alot of time to develop this game, so lets not forget that gaming technology will drasticaly improve meanwhile. There will probaly already be easily implementable system of continental drift sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 11:52 am

The same can be said for any game feature, but until a system is given, its a no go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Continental Drift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Continental Drift   Continental Drift Empty

Back to top Go down

Continental Drift
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Multicellular-
Jump to: