Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Empty
PostSubject: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyMon May 26, 2014 4:08 am

So, the point has been raised several times on how saved games will work. The point has also been raised as to how the galaxy generation will work. Although the main focus of this thread is on saves, I think it's inevitable we will have to cover generating galaxies as that is the setting of the player's saves.

Now, there are two conceivable systems I can imagine us using for handling galaxy generation and saves in Thrive. The first is generating a single galaxy and using a linear system of saves. The way this works is that the galaxy is generated and the player starts to play in it, and when they are finished they save, leave, and when they come back resume from that save. Then, when they save for a second time, they have no choice but to replace their old save. This means you make a single game split into two separate saves that are taking place in different galaxies, since only one galaxy is ever generated. What this means is that you can save, try something out, and then if you fail load the last save and try again. However, you cannot save a game at a certain point, then play the game along one path, create a separate save for that path, and then come back and try a different route of gameplay from the older save. Basically, each species' playthrough you do has its own save slot, and no more. The reason for all this restriction is because it all takes place within one, continuously progressing galaxy.

Games with similar systems: The Sims, Sim City, Mount and Blade

Pros:
-Saves an immense amount of space by only having to generate one galaxy.
-Allows for potential interaction between species across saves
Cons:
-Does not allow for differing save-paths from the same point in a playthrough
-Allows for potential interaction between species across saves

The second system we could use is the more common multi-save system, where you can theoretically have as many saves as you want and there is no conflict between them whatsoever, because they all take place in alternate universes. This would mean that a new galaxy would have to be generated at the beginning of each new playthrough. It would also mean that the player could create as many differing saves as they wanted for the same species/playthrough.

Games with similar systems: Sid Meier's Civilization, The Elder Scrolls, Rollercoaster Tycoon

Pros:
-No restrictions on saving.
Cons:
-Immense space required to store the multiple galaxies that must be generated.

These are just some ideas I have off the top of my head of different approaches to save systems/game world generation that we can consider. I think it's necessary that we go with the first system because of memory restraints, but I'd like to hear other ideas on how to address this.
Back to top Go down
Alexthe666
Newcomer
Alexthe666

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyMon May 26, 2014 6:11 pm

We could have a mix of both, each save is a galaxy and there are other saves inside the galaxy save that are like the second example.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Oh, what's this? I see a myth to dispel!

I've always assumed that the galaxy will be generated in as lazy a manner as possible -- that is, any time something must be created and written to file, we endeavor to do that as late as possible. As a consequence, the save for a galaxy would only contain some PCG metadata (for generating the bits of the galaxy that haven't been modified yet), and some patching system to apply player-made modifications. This way, we pretty much minimize disk data (and bandwidth needed when loading), at the cost of processing power regenerating places you visit over and over.

Some important details:

• The metadata would have to include the version info for the procedural generator system, at least, if we want to maintain backwards compatibility (by choosing a generator to match the save version at load time)
  • The granularity of the patching system could be adjusted to put you anywhere on the memory-cheap<->processing-cheap spectrum -- one end being the extreme I detailed above, the other end being the case where the whole galaxy is generated and saved to disk in one fat file. We probably want something in the middle, closer to the memory-cheap side.

So there we have it -- with some clever programming, galaxies need not take massive storage space.

With that out of the way, which would I prefer? No idea.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyTue May 27, 2014 3:56 am

If the save file for a galaxy would really be that small, then I am completely in favour of having separate galaxies per save, instead of everything taking place in one galaxy. Having everything take place in the same galaxy would produce many complications when the species interact and are across stages, or when one species is being played and other saves must either progress simultaneously, or freeze in time as a separate save is being played.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyTue May 27, 2014 7:17 am

It's going to be possible, but very technically complicated. For example, we'd likely have to make super-auto-evo deterministic, or we'll have to save each living planet when you first encounter it. I'm pretty darn sure that super-auto-evo will be very sensitive to initial conditions, and when you mix that in with floating-point indeterminism and so on, we'll probably have to save anything alive on first encounter. And then there's the thorny problem of other civs, on other planets, beating you to space. If we don't sim planets until you first encounter them, then all you'll ever encounter are one-planet species. It's possible that the best answer to these problems is to save much more of the galaxy than I thought. I'm not sure, I'd have to think about it.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyTue May 27, 2014 7:32 am

Multiple galaxies seem a better option initially, as the method for simulating multiple saves in a single galaxy looks too complex to worry about until we can afford to. Anyway, this isn't realistically going to affect anything until we actually reach the later stages.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything EmptyFri May 30, 2014 1:29 am

True, as we discussed it I realized that since we can progressively develop the start-up settings and generation, this won't be as important now as we focus on microbial generation. However, concept-wise I think we'll settle with each playthrough taking place in a separate galaxy, not all in one like Spore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything   Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything Empty

Back to top Go down

Saved Games, the Universe, and Everything
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Game Features-
Jump to: