Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
digging and climbing  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
digging and climbing  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
digging and climbing  Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
digging and climbing  Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
digging and climbing  Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
digging and climbing  Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
digging and climbing  Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
digging and climbing  Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
digging and climbing  Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
digging and climbing  Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
digging and climbing  Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
digging and climbing  Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
digging and climbing  Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
digging and climbing  Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
digging and climbing  Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
digging and climbing  Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
digging and climbing  Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
digging and climbing  Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
digging and climbing  Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
digging and climbing  Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

digging and climbing

Go down 
+4
US_of_Alaska
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Invader
mike roberts
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mike roberts
Learner

digging and climbing  Empty
PostSubject: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 8:17 pm

just asking how would these be implemented because in spore u could not do any of these and would add realism to the game if included
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes. Da. Si. This sorta went without say. It will be in the game.
Back to top Go down
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Newcomer
Brown Spotted Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Yes, I think this will be in the game. You will need special claws/hands to do these tasks though.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 1:25 am

Brown Spotted Kiwi wrote:
Yes, I think this will be in the game. You will need special claws/hands to do these tasks though.
Not really. They would just make you better at it.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 am

The placement of legs would affect this as well.., For example: A giraffe trying to climb a tree...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Someone had a good idea about a grab button shortcut that would have your creature grab onto the nearwest object it could reach, assuming it had some sort of manipulator.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 5:24 pm

you could do it on other ways, for example as a worm. the type of material would matter a lot(much like in minecraft)
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:58 pm

eumesmo wrote:
you could do it on other ways, for example as a worm. the type of material would matter a lot(much like in minecraft)
Do you mean like a worm tunneling through material or like a caterpillar climbing up material?
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Sure, we know it will be in the game, but then a new question arises; how will it be handled?

This is one of my older posts, only covering climbing and grabbing. Mostly grabbing. Not necessarily digging. It might have to be refined.

Quote :
While this scheme may be fit for everyday actions that are not too fast-paced, when you do get to fast-paced and intricate options, like combat, swinging through trees, or quickly navigating obstacles, how will we do it and make it look good? And when I mean good, I mean you should have a level of control over how you move. There should be a button for grabbing the nearest grabbable object with feet or hands at the end of your limbs fit to grab things, one key for each hand, symmetric or asymmetric. If the object can come off of the surface it's resting on (like a ball on a desk) your organism will simply pick it up (this can also be done via click-action but pressing a key is the fastest way, really), but if it can't, your organism will hang onto it until it breaks, (and, with the help of physics and momentum swing back and forth if it was rushing towards it earlier, thus allowing for flashy stunts) until you press that key again. And if it's higher than your waist-line or (and when the momentum of swinging back and forth has died down somewhat), your organism will pull itself towards that object (like monkey bars) and if it can, get on top of it (like almost falling off a ledge), possibly for dear life, but only if it has sufficient energy or hasn't been hanging for long. The creature's weight and strength also comes into play here, if it can be possibly programmed.

The process behind the whole hanging thing might go along the lines of this--

Energy low? >
If yes > let go of object
If no > use other hands if available >

Other hands? >
If yes > use other hands in addition to continue holding on until energy is low/object breaks
If no > hold on until energy is low

So basically I'm suggesting having more key-pressing take the place of click-action. The only problem I see here is that if you have a lot of hands, you'll have a lot of keys, pherhaps exceeding the amount of keys on your keyboard (millipede with hands for legs). Perhaps we should organise it in pairs rather than individual hands, or pherhaps pressing that key could only make the limb with the hand on it closest to the object you want to grab which is the object you'll be facing via camera rotation grab that object.

But what if you can't move the camera fast enough? Hm...maybe we should just stick with the individual hands idea. I mean, won't everything else be mostly click-action?

Then again you'll have to memorize every key for every hand. Maybe just the facing-the-object idea. Or maybe just click action...oh dear. I'm stuck.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Noitulove wrote:
Sure, we know it will be in the game, but then a new question arises; how will it be handled?

This is one of my older posts, only covering climbing and grabbing. Mostly grabbing. Not necessarily digging. It might have to be refined.

Quote :
While this scheme may be fit for everyday actions that are not too fast-paced, when you do get to fast-paced and intricate options, like combat, swinging through trees, or quickly navigating obstacles, how will we do it and make it look good? And when I mean good, I mean you should have a level of control over how you move. There should be a button for grabbing the nearest grabbable object with feet or hands at the end of your limbs fit to grab things, one key for each hand, symmetric or asymmetric. If the object can come off of the surface it's resting on (like a ball on a desk) your organism will simply pick it up (this can also be done via click-action but pressing a key is the fastest way, really), but if it can't, your organism will hang onto it until it breaks, (and, with the help of physics and momentum swing back and forth if it was rushing towards it earlier, thus allowing for flashy stunts) until you press that key again. And if it's higher than your waist-line or (and when the momentum of swinging back and forth has died down somewhat), your organism will pull itself towards that object (like monkey bars) and if it can, get on top of it (like almost falling off a ledge), possibly for dear life, but only if it has sufficient energy or hasn't been hanging for long. The creature's weight and strength also comes into play here, if it can be possibly programmed.

The process behind the whole hanging thing might go along the lines of this--

Energy low? >
If yes > let go of object
If no > use other hands if available >

Other hands? >
If yes > use other hands in addition to continue holding on until energy is low/object breaks
If no > hold on until energy is low

So basically I'm suggesting having more key-pressing take the place of click-action. The only problem I see here is that if you have a lot of hands, you'll have a lot of keys, pherhaps exceeding the amount of keys on your keyboard (millipede with hands for legs). Perhaps we should organise it in pairs rather than individual hands, or pherhaps pressing that key could only make the limb with the hand on it closest to the object you want to grab which is the object you'll be facing via camera rotation grab that object.

But what if you can't move the camera fast enough? Hm...maybe we should just stick with the individual hands idea. I mean, won't everything else be mostly click-action?

Then again you'll have to memorize every key for every hand. Maybe just the facing-the-object idea. Or maybe just click action...oh dear. I'm stuck.
This was what i was looking for, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: digging and climbing    digging and climbing  Empty

Back to top Go down

digging and climbing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Organism-
Jump to: