Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Size vs. Processing Power Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Size vs. Processing Power

Go down 
+9
tklarenb
roadkillguy
Theslimy
~sciocont
Waap
fredpie
Commander Keen
GamerXA
Tenebrarum
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Size vs. Processing Power Empty
PostSubject: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 pm

As in the title, I recently realized we have a big problem. How big are our planets gonna be? Because if we have a truely realistic scale, our systems will have to save HUGE amounts of info. Once we hit sapience, and have huge bustling cities covering the surface of the world, that becomes unbeleivably large amounts of stuff to record, even just the city layouts would be difficult to hold.

So now what?
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't believe that the city layouts will actually be huge. In another section I think I calculated that it would take around 10GB of data to store an entire, fully-formed galaxy with everything in it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:21 am

Yes. And that 10GB would only be if the galaxy was fully explored, wich is nearly impossible to do.
Back to top Go down
fredpie
Newcomer

Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 pm

We don't need to be uber-realistic. I think planets around half the size of the moon would be plenty.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 12:28 am

At the speed Thrive is being made, computer development should easily keep up with the development of this game. Imean, how can one keep up with all the new technology these days? You can't! The moment you get something new, it becomes obsolete. It is reather sad. We get a new TV, so they make 3D TV. Thanks, world. Keep me behind in the tech.
Anyways, we should be fine.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:09 pm

We're loading planets using a lot of LOD discretion. Basically we're only loading the sections of planet nearest to you, the organisms near to you, and their models will be simplified according to their distance.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
We're loading planets using a lot of LOD discretion. Basically we're only loading the sections of planet nearest to you, the organisms near to you, and their models will be simplified according to their distance.

Cool deal!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Theslimy wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Cool deal!
It's not as if it's our idea. Everything uses LOD simplification.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:55 pm

fredpie wrote:
We don't need to be uber-realistic. I think planets around half the size of the moon would be plenty.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
fredpie wrote:

Thank you.
Remember that the planet size estimate I came up with a few months ago was 474.36 km2 with a 4096x4096x6 grid and 3m terrain tiles. That's a lot smaller than our moon, but about 3.5 times the size of a spore planet. However, we could keep upping the size by doubling the terrain tiles again.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am

~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
fredpie wrote:

Thank you.
Remember that the planet size estimate I came up with a few months ago was 474.36 km2 with a 4096x4096x6 grid and 3m terrain tiles. That's a lot smaller than our moon, but about 3.5 times the size of a spore planet. However, we could keep upping the size by doubling the terrain tiles again.

Uh, you might want to look at the planetary scales topic again. I was the one who figured out the ratio between Spore and Thrive planets based off the 474.36 km2 scale, and it's not 3.5. Here's the actual math (which you approved when I wrote it):

Quote :
ido66667 wrote:
This can Help: http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/46894.page

I used the method described in that forum, and I've come to an estimate on the circumference of a Spore planet: roughly 2.2 km with a surface area of about 1.5 square km. This means, using scio's Brooklyn sized planet, Thrive planets would have a surface area 316.24 times larger than Spore planets, if I did the math right.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Regardless of the specifics, I would like to note that given the apparent sizes we'll be dealing with, we might need to use some sort of barriers to prevent extreme expansion early on in the game. When we have a prototype sophisticated enough that we can just walk on the surface of a prototype planet, I should be able to test my theory and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
fredpie wrote:

Thank you.

Uh, you might want to look at the planetary scales topic again. I was the one who figured out the ratio between Spore and Thrive planets based off the 474.36 km2 scale, and it's not 3.5. Here's the actual math (which you approved when I wrote it):

Quote :
ido66667 wrote:

I used the method described in that forum, and I've come to an estimate on the circumference of a Spore planet: roughly 2.2 km with a surface area of about 1.5 square km. This means, using scio's Brooklyn sized planet, Thrive planets would have a surface area 316.24 times larger than Spore planets, if I did the math right.
My bad, I read a different post on the same topic that gave a much larger measurement for spore planets and reworked that. You would be correct. Even if our terrain tiles are 1m wide, in a 4096x4096x6 setup we still have a planet 35 times bigger than spore's.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Regardless of the specifics, I would like to note that given the apparent sizes we'll be dealing with, we might need to use some sort of barriers to prevent extreme expansion early on in the game. When we have a prototype sophisticated enough that we can just walk on the surface of a prototype planet, I should be able to test my theory and get back to you.
Yes, we need some way to keep players in their biome. There has to be some incentive for them not to explore, as horribly backwards as that sounds.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 am

~sciocont wrote:

Yes, we need some way to keep players in their biome. There has to be some incentive for them not to explore, as horribly backwards as that sounds.

Easy. Creatures have a preferred tolerance range right? Specifics such as heat, altitude, food presence, mate presence, predator presence, etc
Creature leaves tolerable zone - Creature dies/can not reproduce.

However this does raise another issue; how will evolution be able to occur if the creature is stuck in the same biome? We could have automatic migration taking place, or perhaps the biome itself changes over millions of years to which the species will have to adapt.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 am

Pezzalis wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Easy. Creatures have a preferred tolerance range right? Specifics such as heat, altitude, food presence, mate presence, predator presence, etc

However this does raise another issue; how will evolution be able to occur if the creature is stuck in the same biome? We could have automatic migration taking place, or perhaps the biome itself changes over millions of years to which the species will have to adapt.
We should discuss this when we have a prototype to observe and analyze.

When we can observe whether or not natural barriers are sufficient, then we can make a descision.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

We should discuss this when we have a prototype to observe and analyze.

When we can observe whether or not natural barriers are sufficient, then we can make a descision.
We still haven't ironed out how ETO (environmentally transient organisms) will work. We have to do that.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 am

fredpie wrote:
Yes, we do.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 am

~sciocont wrote:
tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
fredpie wrote:

Thank you.

Quote :
ido66667 wrote:

My bad, I read a different post on the same topic that gave a much larger measurement for spore planets and reworked that. You would be correct. Even if our terrain tiles are 1m wide, in a 4096x4096x6 setup we still have a planet 35 times bigger than spore's.

Tenebrarum wrote:
ETO's could be more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySat May 04, 2013 2:15 am

An extremely cheap storage method for planets generated from seeds would be to have only changes to a planet recorded, and so when the player loads an area of a planet for the nth time, all that is being loaded from the hard drive is the seed and other parameters for that area; and changes that have been made to the newly-generated state. However, I expect that it would be far more taxing on CPUs.
Back to top Go down
http://xazo-tak.deviantart.com/
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySat May 04, 2013 11:44 am

I have tried that before, the changes will not be easy to load. (even in a 2d planet (which is what I did a while back in my spare time before I learned of this project))

based on the thing I made a while back:

You can load planets based on seed the first time however you have to somehow make sure changes are kept persistent (I used an array that held data about what has changed (asteroid strike etc) and once the player enters the planet I change it for it, save it in a data file and remove the change from the array, and the next time the person enters it loads the data file (which has all the data saved (and all the changes from the previous loads are already done)), and changes up the planet a little (based on the array (which is constantly changed)) and I rinse and repeat

It works well until you start calculating anything more complex then a volcano (with lava that spreads) however it works for everything except things that spread (It is not taxing on the cpu unless it has been forever since you have last entered the planet and many many things have changed (or if you want to keep track of lava spread which is what I did (big mistake))

By the way this topic is somewhat old (don't necro-post), but it's fine since this is technically still something for us to worry about (sci please correct me if I'm wrong)
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySat May 04, 2013 5:02 pm

untrustedlife wrote:
I have tried that before, the changes will not be easy to load. (even in a 2d planet (which is what I did a while back in my spare time before I learned of this project))

based on the thing I made a while back:

You can load planets based on seed the first time however you have to somehow make sure changes are kept persistent (I used an array that held data about what has changed (asteroid strike etc) and once the player enters the planet I change it for it, save it in a data file and remove the change from the array, and the next time the person enters it loads the data file (which has all the data saved (and all the changes from the previous loads are already done)), and changes up the planet a little (based on the array (which is constantly changed)) and I rinse and repeat

It works well until you start calculating anything more complex then a volcano (with lava that spreads) however it works for everything except things that spread (It is not taxing on the cpu unless it has been forever since you have last entered the planet and many many things have changed (or if you want to keep track of lava spread which is what I did (big mistake))

By the way this topic is somewhat old (don't necro-post), but it's fine since this is technically still something for us to worry about (sci please correct me if I'm wrong)
I think there may be a few things to correct, yes.
You state that CPU usage with this system depends on how long it has been since the player entered the planet. CPU usage for loading areas of a planet should hardly vary, as with each loading the CPU regenerates the terrain anew and then the hard drive loads the changes, and I'm sure merging the terrain with the saved data is light work.
Back to top Go down
http://xazo-tak.deviantart.com/
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power EmptySat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Actually with MY system, it does in fact affect it. (Like I said I have programmed this)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Size vs. Processing Power   Size vs. Processing Power Empty

Back to top Go down

Size vs. Processing Power
Page 1 of 1