Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Space Monster? - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Space Monster?

Go down 
+9
Albalrogue
eumesmo
The Uteen
Poisson
Bashinerox
Noitulove
~sciocont
Xenopologist
caekdaemon
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

Space Monster? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
I don't quite understand the vacuum concept... T_T

EDIT : And I don't quite het why it woul be impossible for multicellular organisms to form.
Explosive decompression.
So? The organisms that evolved in a nebulae were never exposed to pressure (not much any way), therefore any organisms that developed high body pressure will die. But most organisms wont need to since there is no pressure. So there wont be any organism splats in nebulae if there is life there.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:

EDIT : And I don't quite het why it woul be impossible for multicellular organisms to form.
Explosive decompression.
So? The organisms that evolved in a nebulae were never exposed to pressure (not much any way), therefore any organisms that developed high body pressure will die. But most organisms wont need to since there is no pressure. So there wont be any organism splats in nebulae if there is life there.
Unless some unlucky ones manage to evolve that way and end up splatting, but there would not be many, the gene would not be passed on, it would just be on the odd occasion a mutation occurs.

In answer to your question, you did ask why multi-cellular life couldn't evolve, didn't you?
EDIT: Ah... But the body pressure can't reduce itself to the virtually non-existant pressure of a vacuum.

Last edited by The Uteen on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:

Explosive decompression.
Unless some unlucky ones manage to evolve that way and end up splatting, but there would not be many, the gene would not be passed on, it would just be on the odd occasion a mutation occurs.

In answer to your question, you did ask why multi-cellular life couldn't evolve, didn't you?
Yes, that was my question.

EDIT : What makes the body pressures is the fluids and gases inside the body. Gas pressure can not be modified to be less or more intence. Fluids however depend on the minerals in it. The for fluids with more minerals will have a higher pressure and vice versa.

And any way, a nebulae is mainly composed of gas right? So wouldn't that gas be sucked up in the vacuum as well? So why do nebulaes exist?
The organisms will adapt to the pressure provided by that gas.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
And any way, a nebulae is mainly composed of gas right? So wouldn't that gas be sucked up in the vacuum as well? So why do nebulaes exist?

Nebulae have atoms relatively far apart, so the pressure is very low. How would complex organisms work after all without pressure?
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:

Nebulae have atoms relatively far apart, so the pressure is very low. How would complex organisms work after all without pressure?
Cells separating but stay stuck after the separation, creating multicelullar organisms. Then by reproduction, they change generation to gene... well you know how it works.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:

Explosive decompression.
Actually, if the cell walls were string enough, you could get multicellular life, but at any point it would have to be only a few cells deep. This could result in mesh-like organisms. Think space doilies.
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 6:36 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:

Explosive decompression.
Actually, if the cell walls were string enough, you could get multicellular life, but at any point it would have to be only a few cells deep. This could result in mesh-like organisms. Think space doilies.
Sorry but I don't quite understand what mesh and doilies are.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Space Monster? - Page 2 Fan2
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Regular doily

First off: LOL

Secondly, I'm assuming that most nebula-inhabitants wouldn't intentionally move anywhere. They'd be a sort of extreme drifter.

Thirdly, I'm a little iffy on life APPEARING in nebula, mainly because most evidense points to our life evolving in the deep sea, as extreme pressure makes it far easier for the component parts of life not so much to come together but to STAY together. Now life evolving to survive in nebula, that's perfectly reasonable. Life finds a way.

Note that life simply could not exist in open space. I'm sure everyone knows this already, but it doesn't hurt to double check. You need ALOT of... well... stuff to support life.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Rex,
Evidence
It's not very unlikely that life could form in nebulae. There's a ton of cosmic radiation to get things moving.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 am

Would be epic but tbh Im not a fan of life forming in nebula.

Complex organic chemicals is definitely a yes though. In fact some scientists think that our great great great (Ok its a lot of greats, lets skip a few million) great ancestors (Well the first microbial life) were formed by organic compounds from nebula.

IE a meteor tears through a nebula picking up some chemicals and smashes into earth impregnating it not with life but the fundamental building blocks of life. In the high pressure environment of the deep oceans organic compounds (If not already a primitive form of DNA) were able to form basic life.

I think its a great idea for life to be in nebula but it would just be far to complicated to work out what selection pressures would apply and how it would obtain energy, move, evolve, form societies, construct buildings etc.

As for this whole particle interaction, surely these kind of things could be simpled down...? IE rather than what particle is where in a nebula, how abouts something like:
Nebula Gaseous composition:
Oxygen: 10%
Carbon: 12%
Nitrogen: 13%
Sulfur: 5%
Hydrogen: 60%
Composition could be randomized... From this composition a probability of an organic compound forming could be determined.
IE basically...

Chance of:
CH4 (Methane) = 0.12x0.6x0.6x0.6x0.6 = 0.015552 --> 1.6% chance.

Of course if one really wants you could also include things such as reaction rates, electro negativity difference, but it probably isn't necessary.

From this kind of probability you could determine the chance of finding life in a nebula or the chance of organic compounds forming. Its a little vague but a lot of people here at Thrive are talking about very complex ways of determining things such as efficiency, etc. Perhaps a probability/statistics system is adequate for these types of things?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Sorry ~scio, completely missed that.

Alright, I'm not well versed enough to say whether or not life could form in nebulae. I do agree that in the right circumstances, it could survive.

In any situation, I want to point out that

A. Complex life is possible, especially with ~scio's space doily suggestion. Very plausable.

B. Movement is a practical impossability. We're dealing with drifters here.

C. These guys HAVE to stay small. Not tiny, but no larger than maybe a meter at most, which is a huge streach. There's simply not enough stuff to get much bigger.

D. These guys will be simple. Rarely any more complex then a jellyfish, and never any more complex than perhaps a cyophore. No space whales.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I take it then the creatures will be cobweb style?

Guess it sucks in case anyone wants to play as a space monster civilization.

What about asteroid dwelling creatures?
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 pm

i think we should rule out "space monster" civilizations, since though fun it's just not feasible when you start speaking about sentience.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:45 pm

I think for simplicity and gameplay reasons, perhaps Space/Nebular Life can only be found as NPC's because I wouldn't really fancy drifting around for years trying to find food.

Sentience I agree is pretty much out of the question as it would be difficult to build structures, form societies and its just so VASTLY different to Planet bound life that it will take a VERY long time to figure out how it would work, and how you could incorporate it into game play.

So perhaps you could find some simple space life in the odd nebula, but I think playing as them wouldn't be practical.

Perhaps as a god tool, but one would just find drifting aimlessly around in space would get quite boring quite fast.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Sorry ~scio, completely missed that.

Alright, I'm not well versed enough to say whether or not life could form in nebulae. I do agree that in the right circumstances, it could survive.

In any situation, I want to point out that

A. Complex life is possible, especially with ~scio's space doily suggestion. Very plausable.

B. Movement is a practical impossability. We're dealing with drifters here.

C. These guys HAVE to stay small. Not tiny, but no larger than maybe a meter at most, which is a huge streach. There's simply not enough stuff to get much bigger.

D. These guys will be simple. Rarely any more complex then a jellyfish, and never any more complex than perhaps a cyophore. No space whales.
QFT. It';s possible, but it's just not interesting to play as. However, they could be important somehow.
As for asteroid life, that's plausible, but it probably wouildn't be any larger than the nebulous life. Sorry George Lucas.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Sentience is not out of the question. Your problems contradict each other. If we think of how to develop buildings and societies in space, it will give us a reason to figure it ot, enabling us to develop buildings and societies in space!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Monster?   Space Monster? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Monster?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2