Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music

Go down 
+9
RpTheHotrod
Djohaal
Tenebrarum
ThatGuy
Commander Keen
FrogEmpire
Bashinerox
Invader
hongchong7
13 posters
AuthorMessage
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Empty
PostSubject: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 am

Hi there!

I'm totally new to the forum, I found this via the indie game database and I saw that the developers are currently looking for a composer for original music. I am an audio engineer and composer and I'm looking for a new project. It looks like there's been quite a bit of debate over the theme music as I have read and I would like to lend my talents to this community in order to make Thrive an outstanding game. Here's what I have seen in the forums regarding theme music

-A need for an inspirational, orchestral track that captures the idea of simplicity, science, and beauty in the main theme, which can be easily hummed (ear bug, for those of you that know music!).
-Multiple themes - as in Space, Underwater, Desert, Grassland, ect.
-Combat themes? I thought of this one by myself. If there is to be combat, there needs to be some pretty strong and forceful music (not necessarily fast, but full of impact for sure!)

These are a few things I have noticed throughout the forum. I do have the tools necessary in order to create MP3's of a theme. I use Cubase, Sibelius, Reason, and FL Studio and DO own a license to use all of these products and their VST libraries. I believe I will mainly be using Reason, Cubase and Sibelius to create a full orchestral track for Thrive. I will work on making the music this week. At the end of the week on Monday (12/12), I will do everything I can to post a what I have come up with. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions for me while I am working on this. Thanks!

-hongchong7
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:43 am

It's great to have you! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! You've pretty much got all the music types we need, but the other members may think of some others.

Anyway, welcome to Thrive!
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:46 am

hongchong7 wrote:
Hi there!

I'm totally new to the forum, I found this via the indie game database and I saw that the developers are currently looking for a composer for original music. I am an audio engineer and composer and I'm looking for a new project. It looks like there's been quite a bit of debate over the theme music as I have read and I would like to lend my talents to this community in order to make Thrive an outstanding game. Here's what I have seen in the forums regarding theme music

-A need for an inspirational, orchestral track that captures the idea of simplicity, science, and beauty in the main theme, which can be easily hummed (ear bug, for those of you that know music!).
-Multiple themes - as in Space, Underwater, Desert, Grassland, ect.
-Combat themes? I thought of this one by myself. If there is to be combat, there needs to be some pretty strong and forceful music (not necessarily fast, but full of impact for sure!)

These are a few things I have noticed throughout the forum. I do have the tools necessary in order to create MP3's of a theme. I use Cubase, Sibelius, Reason, and FL Studio and DO own a license to use all of these products and their VST libraries. I believe I will mainly be using Reason, Cubase and Sibelius to create a full orchestral track for Thrive. I will work on making the music this week. At the end of the week on Monday (12/12), I will do everything I can to post a what I have come up with. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions for me while I am working on this. Thanks!

-hongchong7

Suggestions?

Please don't post in mp3. I cannot legally include an mp3 decoder in the program.

Ogg vorbis (or ogg) is the most popular free audio codec, if you would like to contribute music, please encode to that.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 3:58 am

Hello and welcome!

Also I have something that could be a good inspiration for a space/exploring theme

obviously, I didn't make it, and it's from another game so we can't use it, but it might give someone ideas.

hands up who likes it
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm

FrogEmpire wrote:
Hello and welcome!

Also I have something that could be a good inspiration for a space/exploring theme

obviously, I didn't make it, and it's from another game so we can't use it, but it might give someone ideas.

hands up who likes it

That sounds interesting, but it is not quite what I had in mind. I have a few ideas plus a ton of free time tonight to whip up something special. I will let you all know what it is by the 12th. Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for joining us. If you don't mind since you have alot of "expensive" programs rendering scores for me, i mean us. (but also me)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm greatly looking forward to what you have!

Yes, there will be combat. Lots of combat. For a while we were actually in danger of becoming combat-centric. So combat music is good, though it'd be especially amazing if we had different themes depending on the nature of the combat. My thoughts being that the theme you had playing as a fish trying to eat another fish should be a little out of place while you watch a fleet of heavily armed starships crawl toward enemy lines.

The theme doesn't actually have to be orchestral, but that'd be lovely too. Also, make it up-beat. There are to many 'realistic' games out there that are just depressing. We don't have to inspire awe nerely as much as I think would should inspire curiosity.

And lets not worry about format right now. We should be able to switch it out later, correct?
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I have decided to take the bull by the horns. I know I said I would put my work on by the 12th, but I have been working over a hot VST library today and have created the following demo track for the main theme of Thrive.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BND56GJD

I saw many different suggestions on the board, but many were contradictory. Some people wanted an upbeat theme, others wanted a majestic theme, or a mellow theme. Unfortunately, I followed my heart's desire and composed what I personally felt the theme should sound.

The key is F Minor, one of my personally favorite keys. The chord progression is standard of typical film and movie scores, in fact the chord progression is very similar to the theme of Assassin's Creed II ( I - bVII - vi - V7 - I), yet the melody takes a different route.

I went for a more "Majestic and Powerful" Theme. We ARE talking about Space here, and Space is pretty big the last time I checked.

The melody is incredibly simple, and easily singable. Quite the ear bug, as I have it stuck in my head. I added Celeste for a more "Cosmos" feel and a Synth for a "Technology" feel. The melody is incredibly easy to sing or hum for good reason. I have watched the escapist video someone had posted on the forum, and took the advice of it. The theme can easily be looped. I have NOT figured out what type of form I would like to develop yet. Personally, I'm sick of composers that just through-compose everything and keep no form. Drives me nuts...

I understand the lead programmer wanted this in OGG Vorbis format, but I do not have the tools to do that, yet... As said before, this can easily be converted.

If needed, I can release a paper score via Sibelius for transcription. I will also be working on several more themes in the meantime.

I had a lot of fun working on this short piece. Please let me know what you think.

CREATED with REASON 4 - SIBELIUS 6 - AUDACITY
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 pm

THAT IS GORGEOUS.

I'm not gonna lie. Absolutely fucking gorgeous. Only the tiniest tweeks are nessicary to pull that together as our glorious theme.

Now here's the challenge.

Remix it.

I know how that sounds. But that's part of my point here. It's everything we said it needs to be, but unless we can bend that tune to fit something utterly different, than my vote won't go for it.

Right now though, that's REALLY hard to do. God... SO GOOD.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 pm

This theme is simply stunning, however I beleive that a one minute loop will get repetitive quickly. Perhaps it should be developed more, I'd say some 3-5 minutes...

An artist whose style we could look into is Jean Jarre, specifically his early works (oxygene and equinoxe mainly), the minimalist style could be explored for some effect.

I also thing we should explore leitmotifs to give the different tunes some relationship between each other.
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:59 am

One day, *sigh*

Suppose I'll continue to work on my music. Wasn't late but my new music equipment doesn't come in for a few weeks >_<

I do like the piano addition in the background.

Actually, I tell you what.

You and I should talk. I'm currently limited with my equipment, but I have a shipment of some really high end stuff coming in within a few weeks. It's a whole new game then. I think together we could come up with something really cool and worthy for a theme song.

I put this together within 5 minutes, but I figured it'd be a tune that kind of went with what you have. Once the new stuff comes in, well, I think we can push it far beyond anyone's expectations.

This has not been tweaked or balanced, as I gotta get some sleep, so it's not "tested" on how well it'll sound on different speaker systems, nor have the sound levels been balanced, so I do apologize.
I hope you can pick up the bass.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRKXK8L2

If for any reason the download link fails, I have a much lower quality version of it here, but at least it's streaming.
http://soundcloud.com/rpthehotrod/sample-music2

If you wanna hit it up together, contact me at dangearn22@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey!

I'm totally down for working together. My email is bjunya@iwu.edu. Looking forward to it! i will work on getting some "remixed" version up tonight. In the meantime, keep writing stuff and I'll give you my honest feedback.
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Do you have Aim msn yahoo or the like?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 pm

It's temporarily unavailable.

And everyone says it sounds so good... I want to hear it!

EDIT: Got it now.
Bit short, maybe you could make a longer piece, it seems like just a start with no ending, but what is there is good.

Last edited by The Uteen on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Awesome to have your skills here! You and Hotrod both seem to be very capable of coming up with some great stuff. I suggest you work together if you can.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

I do have AIM. My screen name is hongchong7 (whodathunk?). I will be on AIM as soon as I am back at home, as I am posting from my mobile phone right now. We can exchange stuff then. Also, I sent you an email earlier today. I don't think my screenname is on there, but you've got it now.

-HG7
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Just heard that example. The descending line brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful, it speaks of growth and destruction.
Back to top Go down
caekdaemon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Im happy to know that he music Thrive will has is in good hands.

This makes me even more excited.

Edit : My brother however, says they both lack something. The "Essence Of Creation" as he calls it.
Back to top Go down
hongchong7
Music Team Lead
hongchong7

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Hey all!

I've been looking at all of your replies and have taken into account as many opinions as possible. I have a treat for you - Version 2.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GBEG9T3O

I've been really enjoying creating this music. However, I could not bring myself to extend it any longer than is. If I extend it, I'll have to just make a new track altogether.

So here it is. People seem to dig the melody. I kept the track the same from Version 1, I just added on some stuff to make it more upbeat and longer with some percussion and bass. There's only about 5 or 6 instruments in this entire track. I kept it to that much for the purpose of Simplicity.

I can imagine this being main menu music and have the main theme of Thrive be the melody.

This melody is easily transferable to different dynamic settings, whether it be underwater, space, grassland, desert, ect. That's the point of a theme. Make the theme dynamic for a dynamic game. We NEED the theme to be memorable! This is also easliy looped. Very memorable, and incredibly easy to sing/hum.

Have fun with this guys. I am having an absolute BLAST composing for this project!

-HC7
Back to top Go down
RpTheHotrod
Music Team Co-Lead

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:40 pm

We will be keeping all further song posts in the MUSIC TEAM thread so it'll all be in one easy to access place. Keep your eyes peeled and ears open!
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Once again, version two is great. However, there is no melodic variation (Especially with the piano) and that stagnates and stunts the overall peice. I can come up with at least twelve right now that you could try. I just wish I could give them to you by means other than vainly humming at my computer screen like a deranged muppet.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 12:19 am

This song demonstrates the kind of variations on a central theme I'd like- the chime melody from the beginning is traded among instruments and varied in parts.
Warning: Death metal
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am

You would, scio.

On a related note, I'm having trouble downloading the links. (I don't have an account, but apperently someone in my dorm does, because it says I've exceeded my download. I'll try again later and put in my vote.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music   Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music Empty

Back to top Go down

Orchestral Scoring - Theme Music
Page 1 of 1