Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Towards a working model for organisms. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Towards a working model for organisms.

Go down 
+5
2creator
Tenebrarum
Bashinerox
~sciocont
Djohaal
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

Towards a working model for organisms. Empty
PostSubject: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Spoiler:

Well considering that we'll need to better plan this out, this thread is supposed to do the "how" part of "what" the organism editor should do.

Scio's excellent list of things OE should do

Data management:

Data should be stored in two instances, descriptive and interpretative.

Descriptive data defines how the creature looks like. It should countain all the data required for the software to rebuild a creature on someone's computer from its dataset. Thus it should be stored on a parametric fashion where everything relevant to its final shape - position of vertexes of bones, bone hierarchy and angular data of meta-splines), position and rotation and morphs of organs, procedural texture data and possibly texture maps for fine detail can be stored on a relatively small file size that can be transfered among users.
Animation data should be generated locally (eg, not part of the creature's DNA) and "baked" into scratch data folders which can be acessed quickly by the software for efficiency.

This calls for several prerrogatives:
1: Deterministic assembly, since the same data should generate the same creature on different computers
2: Hierarchized data, since we'll have trees of limbs and organs which start on the root spine/wormacle
3: Standarized organ* data with each organ having an unique ID which should be shared and standarized among all copies of software. This should be very well thought out as to allow modability and expansivity later on.
4: A surface coordinate system for defining where the organs are attached to the body.

*Organ here is refered as the "parts" we used on spore. Hands, feet, eyes, nostrils, ornaments, skin flaps, everything that is remotely an "object" that we attach on the base mesh should be considered an organ. I included hands and feet here because I think simulating hands and feet will be a bit beyond our initial possibility, thus using pre-animated appendages at first will be a better route of action.

Interpretative data is the data that defines how will the creature interact with its enviroment. Here we'll need some complex analyizers to determine factors such as the creature's speed, stamina, health, metabolc rate, diet, horoscope, etc. This data should probably not be very large in volume and can be included alongside the descriptive data. Interpretative data variables would be pretty much the "stats" we have on an RPG game, and would dictate how the organism mode gameplay would fare. The hook is, this should be modular so we can add more analyzers and variables as it goes, because these same variables should be used on whatever auto-evo placeholder we may use.

In a third instance we'll have the non-visible adaptations of a creature. These would be akin to RPG "quirks" which come on a big list with checkboxes for you to pick. They'd apply modfiers to the interpretative stats. For instance lets say you are creating a desert rat. We'd have a checkbox such as "efficient kidneys" which would lower urine volume and basal water consumption, but would decrease the rate of detoxification of the body. Or say you are making a cow, you could have a checkbox "adapted intestinal flora" which would make it capable of extracting more energy from grass.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 5:36 pm

This looks like pretty good groundwork.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 3:03 am

This data model is actually almost identical to the real data model being currently used.

Kudos.

Except 4.
Just about everything is placed in relation to the underlying skeleton, in real life and in a heirachy, So, it's not a surface offset, it's a skeletal offset..
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 am

Bashinerox wrote:
This data model is actually almost identical to the real data model being currently used.

Kudos.

Except 4.
Just about everything is placed in relation to the underlying skeleton, in real life and in a heirachy, So, it's not a surface offset, it's a skeletal offset..
Skeletal offset is a really good idea... nice work.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Nice work! You should keep eachother posted Bashi/Djohaal.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Nice work! You should keep eachother posted Bashi/Djohaal.

We're keeping in touch
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Okay, I'm going for a thought dump here, so beware. PLEASE READ IT and deconstruct it if you wish, comments criticism are the only ways to move forward.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Bumping for replies.
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 am

~sciocont wrote:
Bumping for replies.

Ok. Seems reasonable. But would this be the same in, let's say, a low gravity environment?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

2creator wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Bumping for replies.

Ok. Seems reasonable. But would this be the same in, let's say, a low gravity environment?
Good question. Really the question would be "Do lower-gravity environments produce less powerful muscles?"
Well, if they do not, we will have very stringy-looking animals in lower gravity planets. If lower-gravity environments evolve less powerful muscle fibers, the animals will have larger muscles, but the muscles themselves will be less powerful (by volume) than muscles of a higher-g org.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 am

~sciocont wrote:
Okay, I'm going for a thought dump here, so beware. PLEASE READ IT and deconstruct it if you wish, comments criticism are the only ways to move forward.
Spoiler:

Read over it. It all makes sense to me. I'm sure someone else will find something more... constructive to say about it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 am

I read the post, I understand it, but I don't know of any way to add to it. That's why I didn't post untill now.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for the confirmation guys.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm

We did pre-discuss this, scio, so this is why I didn't say much. However, I'm pretty certain that someone should have a look into muscles vs. Gravity.
I'm pretty sure that more gravity = more muscles, as well as the inverse of that, based off these two things:
1) It has been a long accepted fact that astronauts outside of the earth's gravity (free-fall, moon) can get muscle atrophy. (Read sci-fi for the education, not the martian princesses!)
2) If the force needed to move increases due to gravity, then muscle size will increase. Bone density will also increase because you need something strong to attatch that to. So there is a definite ceiling there, as more muscle + denser bones = more mass to move around.
I can't draw here, but you have a definite carrying capacity for size at different gravities - something that we should incorporate, yeah, but which the current maths have taken care of. Though, I imagine efficiency would be pretty constant, as cells are more or less created along stock plans - and muscular atrophying is generally a decrease in matter, implying a decrease in size, rather than a decrease in efficiency.

/textwall
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Honestly, mr. Calligrapher, the muscle strength goes only to the point from which onwards there are simply inefficient muscles.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
/textwall
[/textwin]
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

That's the ceiling that I was talking about - when we can no longer use the muscles due to inefficiency/the inability to cope with greater gravity/any number of other complications wich will depend on the actual math interplay between muscle strength, blood supply, gravity, and bone mass.
Sorry If I speak confusingly.

PS. That's Miss Caligrapher to you.
& Hi, Rex!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:12 pm

nice post. You're right that there will be a ceiling. Now, I don't think we're going to be able to find research that would lead us to the point of the ceiling. However, we might be able to find researchh that will lead us to the correct function for the cieling. My guess is that it would be either hyperbolic or linear. Gravity on x, muscle needed to move mass on y. Eventually it will get to a point where the muscle's weight becomes greater than the weight that the muscle could lift. I believe the ceiling would be about 75% of the way there.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:02 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
That's the ceiling that I was talking about - when we can no longer use the muscles due to inefficiency/the inability to cope with greater gravity/any number of other complications wich will depend on the actual math interplay between muscle strength, blood supply, gravity, and bone mass.
Sorry If I speak confusingly.

PS. That's Miss Caligrapher to you.
& Hi, Rex!

Oh, sorry then Miss Calligrapher. When I think about your and Scio's posts, you're both right. The only problem then is to make the physics and game engines reckognise this and include it.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 4:05 pm

All right. Scio has math for the necessary muscle mass. Then, we figure in the gravity...
as each planet has a gravity value that is discussed in terms of earth's gravity (twice earth's gravity, 3 times earth's gravity...) the necesary muscle mass should be somewhat linear.

We might need a couple of sub-calculations for this one.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I think it'll be easiest for us to have it on a linear scale. We can set up a point for earth's gavity/muscle mass, run it through the origin, and there we have our scale. we can then determine our cutoff point. I can actually do that this wekend, it's pretty simple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towards a working model for organisms.   Towards a working model for organisms. Empty

Back to top Go down

Towards a working model for organisms.
Page 1 of 1