Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Neural Networks Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Neural Networks Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Neural Networks Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Neural Networks Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Neural Networks Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Neural Networks Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Neural Networks Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Neural Networks Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Neural Networks Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Neural Networks Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Neural Networks Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Neural Networks Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Neural Networks Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Neural Networks Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Neural Networks Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Neural Networks Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Neural Networks Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Neural Networks Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Neural Networks Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Neural Networks Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Neural Networks

Go down 
+2
~sciocont
AIs-null
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Just happen to wanting to throw this in here; I think it applies mostly to the cell stage, but the other stages could maybe benefit from it aswell.

You can download it here

All that is needed is applying this to create graphical stuff such as new limbs, better breathing ability etc. This could also be used to alter a creatures behavior etc. The site also contains c++ source code for those interested in having a look.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 pm

The process is too complex, and the results too simple; it's a great simualtion, but it's not good for a game.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

What i thought about, to make it actually worth doing is that each one of these fishes you see, represent one specie. It would be easy on the cpu, and then just add a random to produce mutations wich creates smaller populations of species. That way we could go up to about a thousand species to calculate each evolutionary process before a single core would kneel. Then most computers today have atleast dual core and in one year i imagine everyone has quad core.

But if you think it isn`t worth doing then we won`t right?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:46 pm

AIs-null wrote:
What i thought about, to make it actually worth doing is that each one of these fishes you see, represent one specie. It would be easy on the cpu, and then just add a random to produce mutations wich creates smaller populations of species. That way we could go up to about a thousand species to calculate each evolutionary process before a single core would kneel. Then most computers today have atleast dual core and in one year i imagine everyone has quad core.

I'm trusting your estimation there, but the problem is we're running a lot more than just autoevo, and we want to cut down on processor strain as much as possible. We want a pretty lean game.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 pm

~sciocont wrote:
AIs-null wrote:

I'm trusting your estimation there, but the problem is we're running a lot more than just autoevo, and we want to cut down on processor strain as much as possible. We want a pretty lean game.

Yes a lot more than just auto evo, but then again the other stuff doesn`t require as much as auto evo does. However to keep it simple maybe we can take this worry when it comes.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 am

Auto evo is purely data collecting within a simulation, and actual population counting/mutating in between simulations.

Whatever happens will influence the CPU. Period.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

It's horribly interesting, but the actual auto-evo programming has to necessarily gloss over that stuff about neurons, pretty much as soon as we upgrade to upwards of a handfull of cells.
However, this does not look complicated. There are some similarities between this and the plan for cell mode, as well as the transition out of cell mode, so I think it was worth sharing.
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

It's an interesting idea but I don't know if it fits in well to the current concept and as Scio pointed out, it looks too simple. I do not think that gameplay like that for the whole cell stage will keep players hooked.

Also
Quote :
i imagine everyone has quad core.

Not true. I have a duo core.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 pm

2creator wrote:

Also
Quote :
i imagine everyone has quad core.

Not true. I have a duo core.

Read everything, in a year i ment. I have a desktop with 6 core and a laptop with 2 core.

2creator wrote:
It's an interesting idea but I don't know if it fits in well to the current concept and as Scio pointed out, it looks too simple. I do not think that gameplay like that for the whole cell stage will keep players hooked.

This is not player controlled, with a few random commands this will create a unique gameplay experience everytime you start a new game.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

So you're proposing this as a possible component of the AI portion of cell/handfull of cells stage?
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm

I propose that you start out with..only yourself and/or two-three other cells start with the game or something.

At the beggining they all have very similar, but different neural networks.

imagine one epoch of cell stage, of course, epochs are hidden to the player and you can think of it as "generations".

Epoch one:

[Insert numerous events here]

Results epoch one:

Specie 6 generated because random mutation [insert number here] occured.
Specie 1 very succesfull
Specie 2 failed because of [insert event here]
specie 3 stays normal
specie 4 stays normal
specie 5 strongly weakened because of [insert random mutated trait here]

Epoch two:

[numerous events occur]

Results epoch two:

specie 1 evolved [insert random trait here]
specie 3 evolved [insert random trait here]
specie 4 evolved [reduced speed, better defence]
specie 5 failed because of [inset event here]
specie 6 failed because of [specie population not enough to compete]
specie 7 emerged from specie 1 because of [specie 1 very succesfull, different versions of this cell therefore emerged with succesfull trait]

epoch three:

[events occur]

Results epoch three:

specie 1 weakened [population size lowered]

etc. etc. etc.

Imagine some mutations being changes to ones neural network making it have different behaviors. Let me show what will happen when we have 100~ species

epoch 209:

Big amount of events occur

Results epoch 209:

[computer notice a lot of species, give lower speciation ratio command = less chance of speciation]
[Computer notice above 1000 events, give lower event ratio command = less chance of mutations occur]

so how many mutations and species our engine can handle depends on how complex the neural networks`ll be, how good engine is programmed.
Depending on that, you can have a gazillion species, as long as you have the processing power of just that, and how many calculations your CPU will do. This can (preferably for performance issues) be done while loading in new world after you have accesed and entered the editor of the stage. I am pretty sure this will demand massive processing powers though, so this idea might be dead.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Cells do not have neurons. This is because Neurons are cells. Cells react only to a limited range of stimuli, which could be simulated similar to what you have down, and there's probably a critical mass needed to create cells whose function is as a neural net. (Critical number of cells, people, not of matter.)

Cells differ in organelles, not neural arrangement, but other than that, mostly ok.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Yeah okay but you got the concept? Im a not a biology proffessor
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Yup.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:09 am

~sciocont wrote:
The process is too complex, and the results too simple; it's a great simualtion, but it's not good for a game.

I disagree.

After watching the other videos he's made (he makes them change color and hunt each other), this is fetching amazing. The evolutions the game generate come up with strange solutions, and behave really cool. Their brains get ultra-complex, and while it might not look like it at first, they solve situations very well.

My proposal to this is to allow the player to add and remove parts. The neural network would then adapt, allowing for a really cool simulation.

I think civ stage is more complicated and has results simpler than this. We want fluid dynamics, org mode, and an entire planet simulated in real time, but this is too complex? Untrue.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 am

Yes the program is quite much better than what it is in the video shown. You can download it in the upper post to see for yourselves, and just a hint + speeds up time so just press and hold + to watch it go ultra fast. Please have a look at the code roadkillguy, and see if it would benefit us. Im not very fluent in C++ if you can use that word. I use python, a way simpler programming language.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

AIs-null wrote:

... how good engine is programmed.
Do not let Bashi hear you.

Other than that, I likes
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 am

What? I think bashinerox is very capable of making a good engine.
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 pm

AIs-null wrote:
What? I think bashinerox is very capable of making a good engine.

Thou escapeth the gestapo this one time. (P.S. XD)

It's a simple system, and if we tweak it a bit, we'd get a funny system (good system, not just funny);
What bugs me about your downloadable is that one species always pwns the others. At the start they move equally and stuff, but later on a certain species evolves über metabolism and hyperwarp! and all others just turn into retards.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Actually every specie grow as intelligent as it can get before they vanquish under the supremacy of others. However this can easilly be changed and if you include all the other variables this game will have. Yah i escape, never the intention though :ØP
Back to top Go down
Darkgamma
Learner
Darkgamma

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 pm

AIs-null wrote:
Actually every specie grow as intelligent as it can get before they vanquish under the supremacy of others. However this can easilly be changed and if you include all the other variables this game will have. Yah i escape, never the intention though :ØP

The simulation produced a species that lasted exactly 4732 generation, pure herbivores, before they were outbred by retarded black beings that rotated around a point until they died or reproduced.
Back to top Go down
AIs-null
Learner
AIs-null

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Mine was two species, a red herbivore and a blue herbivore with stable populations. That was one round, thanks to random it gets more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Neural Networks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neural Networks   Neural Networks Empty

Back to top Go down

Neural Networks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Programming :: Auto-Evo-
Jump to: