Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender

Go down 
+9
Commander Keen
Mysterious_Calligrapher
bill2505
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
Gorbachof
andry796
Astatine
The Uteen
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 2:37 am

NickTheNick wrote:
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you proposing to have dreams included?

Also, how would your organism have dreams about events that haven't even been determined to happen yet? There would have to be a preset destiny for your species to be able to have visions of the future in your dreaming sequences. There is little hard-coding in what events your creature experiences during their lifetime.
Events such as Volcanoes and Asteroids don't come out of nowhere. If a very large and heavy asteroid is aimed to intercept a planet and is already very close, then there's a 99.9999etc% chance that asteroid will hit the same general area of the planet within the same 5 second space as a highly simplified simulation involving only 1000 tonne+ celestial bodies. The other, incredibly small chance is where either a very significant force of unsimulated objects hits the asteroid, such as a number of extremely fast meteorites or the flagship of a prosperous galactic empire charging full speed into the asteroid.
Back to top Go down
http://xazo-tak.deviantart.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 3:38 am

Okay so you are proposing dreams. Well for one thing, I don't think there would be an apocalypse to warn the player of every night, so most nights would still be empty.

Also, if you are playing the unrealism card, that works against your favour, since it is quite normal for sleep to be a transitory fade to black period, as opposed to visions of the future. It wouldn't be glitchy at all.

But on the topic of the dreams themselves, I don't think it adds enough playability to be worth the stab at realism. Although it is true that animals have proven effective at detecting incoming disasters, as with the 2004 tsunami, I don't think that could translate into the doomsday dreams that are being proposed, or any dream for that matter that warns the player of what will happen the next day. That's part of the whole fun, the unpredictability of what your next day will hold, and just struggling to survive.

Now, if you were really clever you would go quote me on what I said about supernovas on the Miscellaneous thread a couple days back. The difference is that supernovas destroy the whole planet, and are impossible to escape before sapience. Meteors and volcanoes CAN be escaped, and even if they aren't, they don't terminate your planet's existence and hence your save game like supernovas do. If you were talking about meteors that were planet-threatening, then there's no point in dreaming/warning you about it anyways, since either way you have no escape.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:44 am

Building off Nick's point, most animals that are woken before a disaster are woken by things such as:

a) The first initial tremor before an earthquake or volcano. If you slept on the ground, you'd know a 0.1 on the Richter scale when it hit too. (After a few days, most creatures would head away from the tremors: earthquakes take a while to warm up.)

b) A change in barometric pressure, such as before a tornado/cyclone/hurricane, etc.

c) A new smell (such as the burning smell from a fire before it becomes a forest fire.)

The subconscious has nothing to do with alerting creatures to danger: they're woken up by their own senses, so dreams aren't required. If anything, we should just wake the player up with however we would normally note that particular sensory perception: whether it's a rumbling sound or a "what's that [awful] smell?" text cue. This gives the player a chance to get away, unless the cataclysm covers all the area they could conceivably reach, and would simply resume gameplay. That's at least acceptable for localized disasters - I'll have to cross reference the conclusion on the massive extinctions page, but I seem to remember a decision being made about the player being teleported to an organism of the correct species outside of the immediate danger zone, and resuming gameplay hoping to allow them to adapt and survive.
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

I suppose that renders warning dreams obsolete, and it should be reminded that lucid dreams almost never occur without deliberation (Also, LDs are annoying in the Minecraft mod that causes you to have them every time you sleep), leaving the only sensible sort of dream to be the standard abstract dream as a sort of loading screen for the simulation fast fowarding. Should we pause this discussion until we have sufficient knowledge of how long FF will take and what CPU, GPU, and HD usage it will have?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Probably. (Lucid dreams vary by brain chemistry, so between people and between periods of life, and there's not really a lot of good research on them, because they're equipment intensive to study in humans for feedback that has little to no application outside of the field of FOR SCIENCE!)

I wouldn't know about the Lucid Dreams Minecraft mod, I'm still running my game vanilla.
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

And, lastly, dreams are far more Boolean than integer in terms of lucidity, with the higher the lucidity, the less likely, from no memory being the most common, to remembering slightly being somewhat common, to occasional perfect memorizing, to being only half being guided by your subconscious, to performing all actions consciously.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:45 pm

You just said dreams are boolean about integrity (either completely or not at all), and then described how they are not. I dont understaund.

However, where do you want to get with this?
Back to top Go down
Xazo-Tak
Newcomer
Xazo-Tak

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 12:35 am

Daniferrito wrote:
You just said dreams are boolean about integrity (either completely or not at all), and then described how they are not. I dont understaund.

However, where do you want to get with this?
Just putting an extra layer of soil on top of the idea of fully controlled dreams in games.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 am

Gorbachof wrote:
What you could do instead (to know what major events are happening), 1st. letters (mail), 2nd. telegraph, 3rd. Radio, 4th. TV. If this game is supposed to be realalistic; I say remove the traditional RTS style, do things like control the Colonol on the battle field to command troops, then when you get satalites, command from an HQ (would give real time communique a purpose.

I know, nothing to do with dreams, but it does solve your "find out whats going on" problem (with my own OT idea).
Sortof like mount and blade ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender   Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dreams, Games, And A Giant Blender
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2