Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

3 Major Problems with Development

Go down 
+6
~sciocont
The Uteen
BastianKraft
SciFiGamer
Commander Keen
roadkillguy
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Should we add this to the final draft?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :
Although, maybe colours will be used to show the different threat levels, we haven't got to that part of the conversation yet... Coloured indicators would be helpful, though.

We can simply change background color and/or put different colored particles depending on the variables. Acidic environments could be green, neutral (around 0.5 In PH it's 7...) could be blue and basic alkali? could be red. Cold could be darker and warm lighter, indicating sunlight. What about thermal vents? These are just examples, but you can show almost everything in this way.

I was thinking about showing it in the background, but there weren't enough colours, having something for yellow and red, when both were present would make orange, so orange can't be used. In other words, secondary colours wouldn't work. The background has a limit of three colours, if the colours mix. Maybe white too. So particles will be needed.

Or we could have little circles that light up in different colours. That might be simpler, at least to start with, graphics-wise.

Yes!
This is an absolutely great way to handle both chemical senses and the environment in cell stage. Also, it allows us to explore heat-loving, base-loving and acid-loving organisms. Here's what we can do:

Create a litmus paper (or red/green/blue) noise layer, then another heat noise layer on top of it, with a gradient of alpha to 80% black/alpha on top of it, perhaps with a burn effect. Each pixel's hue tells its pH and its darkness tells its heat. Brilliant. however, the noise will have to make some sense. It can't be purely random, or else it will be impossible to go anywhere if you have low tolerance. I vote that, at least in the beginning, the playable area (which can easily be quite large) is a mostly neutral pH zone bounded by acidic or basic areas, where your cell cannot survive. This determines the size of your worlds and helps you not die or be trapped in tiny bubbles of livable space.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 12:29 pm

There's no problem in shifting the area near the start point towards 0.5 (pH 7).
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Good job. If someone wants to write an equation for the gradients (both in heat and PH) I'll attempt to get some of my chem notes together so we can figure out some math.

Basically, heat should be incremental. You can't jump from 10 K to 273 k in two zones that are right next to each other. If you have one zone at about 280 k, then the next one over could be either 281 or 279, but not significantly more. PH is similar, in that you could move from a 7 zone to a 7.5, but you aren't often going to go from seven to 14.

This is integral because it will give your organism an opportunity to adapt to new environments, such as higher acidity/basicity, or higher or lower temperatures. This, in addition to the flagellum and all the other functional bits, is basically evolution 101 for your players.

Also, we adding availability of sunlight into the equation? I just realized that some zones will be unequal, and our light-eater cells will have to stick in areas where there is light to eat.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Coherent noise is integral by definition. Using fractals too much might change that, but I think we will keep it simple both for the sake of your argument and speed.

Light could be displayed by drawing yellowish rays across the screen. Shouldn't light affect the temperature, though? We could have the line shine into the warmer areas of the map.

As to the background color, acid should be red, base blue, but what is in between? Going through the whole spectrum is only going to serve confusion me thinks.

Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Right. With the same concept of random noise, we can also randomly deviate a gradient (I wrote a custom libnoise class for this)

Basically, at the top of a "World" we could have very hot values. At the bottom, we would have very cold values with a perfect gradient. To make it not so perfect, we turbulate them, and move things around randomly so that it isn't so perfect.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Coherent noise is integral by definition. Using fractals too much might change that, but I think we will keep it simple both for the sake of your argument and speed.

Light could be displayed by drawing yellowish rays across the screen. Shouldn't light affect the temperature, though? We could have the line shine into the warmer areas of the map.

As to the background color, acid should be red, base blue, but what is in between? Going through the whole spectrum is only going to serve confusion me thinks.

I think water=blue is generally the best idea. have base be purple or something. We will need light maps for photosynthesis to work.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Basically, at the top of a "World" we could have very hot values. At the bottom, we would have very cold values with a perfect gradient. To make it not so perfect, we turbulate them, and move things around randomly so that it isn't so perfect.

So the game will have a side view instead of topdown?

~sciocont wrote:
I think water=blue is generally the best idea. have base be purple or something. We will need light maps for photosynthesis to work.

Makes sense. So, as we are not strictly following the litmus paper, the colors are:

Base = Purple
Acid = Red

However, we still haven't solved how the neutral zones will look. I vote for making them gray, but that wouldn't be very cell soup-like, would it?

As for light, we could give it it's own noise. However, my questions still stand:

How will light be drawn on the screen?
Shouldn't temperature be affected by sunlight?

For the first question, I still think it should be done by drawing 'rays' across the screen, really just yellowish lines from an uniform direction.

As for the second, we could use the light noise and add it with the temperature map.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Makes sense. So, as we are not strictly following the litmus paper, the colors are:

Base = Purple
Acid = Red

*facepalm*

How can it go purple to blue to red? When going from red to blue, it will go through purple! If not, we'll just get rainbows when entering acid... Purple -> Blue -> Red just isn't going to work...

Base/Alkali = Purple
Water = Blue
Acid = Green? That would be the logical next colour. Acid tends to be thought of as 'toxic green' anyway.

As for light, any areas it reaches it should warm up a bit, depending on how much light is present. Usually in the sea the light is from up above, and before there were seagulls the light would be fairly evenly distributed, with a gradual gradient to darkness going deeper. I don't think this will really affect gameplay that much.

And light rays would be fine to signify light. Lens flares would be cool, too. It's a tropical petri-dish, after all...

Commander Keen wrote:
Roadkillguy wrote:

So the game will have a side view instead of topdown?

I thought it was top down with layers... ⍨ <- (Don't worry, despite the setback of the lack of a confused smiley here on the forums, I found a text-based confused smiley in my vast character database! ♫ )
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Purple is next to red and blue on the RGB spectrum, Uteen. There shouldn't be a problem, unless it would break some major scientific laws, of course.

I don't really support green for being the acid though, as it is also associated with life. It would have to be the bright 'toxic green', but that would not work since we are using brightness to show temperature.

And now I am really confused as to how will the cell stage look at all.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 5:11 pm

no... I meant like the north/south of a world. Top as in top of the screen. My point is, you can bias these things so that acidity could exist more towards one end, and basity could exist towards the other. It would be more applicable to temperature I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm with Uteen. Make acid green. We want to have nice, smooth visual transitions.

Now, I vote we relocate to the microbe stage subforum and talk about the effect on gameplay as well.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Acid being green is good.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 am

*Grumbles* You guys do remember that our acids and bases must be dissolved in water if they are to make any difference to our organism, right? So this purple/blue/green scheme means that your Acidic water is green, neutral water is blue, and basic water is purple.

Effectively, areas without water will have no color.

Don't mind me, but given the primordial soup idea I had assumed we'd be evolving in water.... so why exactly do we need a set "water color" if the whole screen is liquid? Green/Blue/Purple works for Acid/Neutral/Base okay, though.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
*Grumbles* You guys do remember that our acids and bases must be dissolved in water if they are to make any difference to our organism, right? So this purple/blue/green scheme means that your Acidic water is green, neutral water is blue, and basic water is purple.

Don't mind me, but given the primordial soup idea I had assumed we'd be evolving in water.... so why exactly do we need a set "water color" if the whole screen is liquid? Green/Blue/Purple works for Acid/Neutral/Base okay, though.
I think this post resolved itself.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 am

~sciocont wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:

I think this post resolved itself.

I should probably not be grumbling to the team right after chem class, or the next thing we know I'll have them building buckyballs with microscopic tweezers. All the better to nitpick with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 Major Problems with Development   3 Major Problems with Development - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

3 Major Problems with Development
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2