Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
GPL 3 Explanation Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

GPL 3 Explanation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 am

What Is the GPL

The GPL (General Public License) Is the GNU Project License.
It's Main Goal Is to Protect the Freedom to Modfy or Using Softwere

Spoiler:

Thing you Should know on GPL 3

1. There is no Warranty

Spoiler:

2. No Surrender of Others' Freedom.

Spoiler:

3. contributor

Spoiler:

How to Apply the GPL to Your New Programs

To Apply the GPL to a softwere you Just Need To attach This Stuff to the start of each source file

Spoiler:

and each file should have at least the “copyright” line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.

I hope I helped.
and If you want to read the Full thing go to
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 am

Hmmm... seems like it covers everything. We do want to allow people to mod this sucker (Yay! does our work for us! - I mean, hooray for artistic freedom...) but we don't want this to go the route of some other moddable games, where less-scrupulous beta creators try to turn a profit off of their customized content.

I reccommend that people read this one, and someone ought to grab a link to the CC that we were thinking of using. To my current knowlege, they're pretty much equal, but it would be nice to have them side by side. Scio?
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Hmmm... seems like it covers everything. We do want to allow people to mod this sucker (Yay! does our work for us! - I mean, hooray for artistic freedom...) but we don't want this to go the route of some other moddable games, where less-scrupulous beta creators try to turn a profit off of their customized content.

I reccommend that people read this one, and someone ought to grab a link to the CC that we were thinking of using. To my current knowlege, they're pretty much equal, but it would be nice to have them side by side. Scio?

I also think That The GPL is Nice.
I can Make other Post With The CC.
So People Can say What they want CC or GPL.
But Than It's Up to Scio.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Creative commons share alike 2.5
Basically does the same thing. It matters not which we use.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Things that are the same

Rule A) Modification allowed, free redistribution allowed.
Well, we want that. Both will do.

Rule B) The rights of persons involved in the production (us) are in no way affected by this licensing.
Good for both.

All right, GPL is more precise (no warranty is somewhat assumed under creative commons - I mean, it's not like you're going to get your money back, is it?) but creative commons is easier to read.

I guess it comes down to, are we going to need this lawyer speak about warranties or not?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Things that are the same

Rule A) Modification allowed, free redistribution allowed.
Well, we want that. Both will do.

Rule B) The rights of persons involved in the production (us) are in no way affected by this licensing.
Good for both.

All right, GPL is more precise (no warranty is somewhat assumed under creative commons - I mean, it's not like you're going to get your money back, is it?) but creative commons is easier to read.

I guess it comes down to, are we going to need this lawyer speak about warranties or not?
I'd rather we choose the least ambiguous.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Legally speaking, that would be GPL. Simply because a) it was probably written by someone with some law experience b) it mentions stuff (warranty, the rights of redistribution, the fact that no one should be making money off our free stuff) that CC doesn't.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Legally speaking, that would be GPL. Simply because a) it was probably written by someone with some law experience b) it mentions stuff (warranty, the rights of redistribution, the fact that no one should be making money off our free stuff) that CC doesn't.
CC does mention these things, (you need to read the full legal text)
Like I said, they are essentially the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 am

~sciocont wrote:

Okay... Warranty check, intellectual property rights check... full legal of the creative commons seems to be equal to or even more specific than GPL, at least for our purposes.
At this point, I don't think that there's any specific differences that would lead us to chose one over the other, except for the status quo that we already have a CC one going. License issue resolved, I guess.

Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

~sciocont wrote:

Okay... Warranty check, intellectual property rights check... full legal of the creative commons seems to be equal to or even more specific than GPL, at least for our purposes.
At this point, I don't think that there's any specific differences that would lead us to chose one over the other, except for the status quo that we already have a CC one going. License issue resolved, I guess.

Well... I think we need A Lawyer to Decide what is The Best License for us.
And there is Ideology, if you want to help the GNU project use the GPL.
Maybe we Can look for a lawyer to Volunteer and Help us with Stuff like this.

P.S
I'm Am Looking At Both licenses now To find any differences.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Sure, I'll just walk around campus looking to pick up a law major... oh, wait. Yeah, anyone who has a lawyer friend/family member could have them have a look at it, but it seems pretty straightforward from here. There's considerably less regulation in the realm of community goods than when someone stands to make a profit.

As far as I know, CC is also applicable in multiple countries, the only other consideration that I could think of that wasn't stated here already. I obviously don't know if this is the same for GPL, but I'm assuming so, as most of what it would cover would be internet based.

Basically, if we find a problem with CC that GPL will fix, we'd switch, but that's probably not necessary right now.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Sure, I'll just walk around campus looking to pick up a law major... oh, wait. Yeah, anyone who has a lawyer friend/family member could have them have a look at it, but it seems pretty straightforward from here. There's considerably less regulation in the realm of community goods than when someone stands to make a profit.

As far as I know, CC is also applicable in multiple countries, the only other consideration that I could think of that wasn't stated here already. I obviously don't know if this is the same for GPL, but I'm assuming so, as most of what it would cover would be internet based.

Basically, if we find a problem with CC that GPL will fix, we'd switch, but that's probably not necessary right now.

Well, In my openion GPL is better...
I think that we should use the GPL to Support the cause.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 pm

ido66667 wrote:

Ok.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 am

~sciocont wrote:
ido66667 wrote:

Ok.

Can you expend?
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 am

Bump!

BTW, Here is why we should not use Creative commons:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/243196/what-is-the-difference-between-creative-commons-and-gpl-licensing

Basicly, Creative commons was not orginaly for Software, So, there is no mantion of stuff like source code, Or linking from code with anothe licence, The LGPL was Orginaly for stuff like librarys, as it allows you to link from a diffrent Licence code...
I think we should use a GPL and LGPL hybrid, I mean, For the librarys we can use LGPL, and for all the Other stuff we can use GPL.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:16 am

ido66667 wrote:
Bump!

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/243196/what-is-the-difference-between-creative-commons-and-gpl-licensing

Basicly, Creative commons was not orginaly for Software, So, there is no mantion of stuff like source code, Or linking from code with anothe licence, The LGPL was Orginaly for stuff like librarys, as it allows you to link from a diffrent Licence code...
I think we should use a GPL and LGPL hybrid, I mean, For the librarys we can use LGPL, and for all the Other stuff we can use GPL.
Ok. GPL/LGPL it is.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 12:18 pm

~sciocont wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
Bump!

Ok. GPL/LGPL it is.

I am glad.

Now, after this massege, Please don't post anything...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPL 3 Explanation Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPL 3 Explanation   GPL 3 Explanation Empty

Back to top Go down

GPL 3 Explanation
Page 1 of 1