Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Gliding skin Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Gliding skin Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Gliding skin Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Gliding skin Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Gliding skin Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Gliding skin Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Gliding skin Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Gliding skin Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Gliding skin Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Gliding skin Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Gliding skin Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Gliding skin Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Gliding skin Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Gliding skin Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Gliding skin Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Gliding skin Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Gliding skin Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Gliding skin Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Gliding skin Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Gliding skin Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Gliding skin

Go down 
+3
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
Theslimy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 am

I have this idea for gliding skin. like a flying squirrel has! it works best from trees and you have more lift the more skin you have! in editor mode you attach it from one limb joint to another or you stretch it from one limb joint to anywhere on the body! like from the forelegs to back legs and from there to the tail, wich gives you more glide time. works best with tree-climbing organisms and it has a wind animation when gliding to make it more realistic. types come in bare, somewhat scaly, and furry. hope you like my idea!
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

Theslimy wrote:
I have this idea for gliding skin. like a flying squirrel has! it works best from trees and you have more lift the more skin you have! in editor mode you attach it from one limb joint to another or you stretch it from one limb joint to anywhere on the body! like from the forelegs to back legs and from there to the tail, wich gives you more glide time. works best with tree-climbing organisms and it has a wind animation when gliding to make it more realistic. types come in bare, somewhat scaly, and furry. hope you like my idea!
Welcome, Theslimy!

I remember this kind of part was suggested ages ago, probably in the old forums, and liked. It will probably be added automatically by having enough 'skin wing'/'gliding skin'/'wingy things' proportional to the weight. You've said just about everything else.

On it being scaly and furry, that will probably be inherent of making the creature scaly/furry (or inherent of a creature being already scaly/furry through auto-evo)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Actually, we need to discuss flight...
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Perhaps we should make a thread discussing how flight has evolved the four times on Earth (insects, pterosaurs, birds, and bats) and how we can incorporate it into the game? If we do, I can help a lot with the concept of feathered flight, since I'm a dinosaur freak, and birds evolved from them. I think that might help with this gliding thing too, since I know some small dinosaurs may have used their feathers simply for gliding from tree to tree.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
We have, but it was years ago. There are three types, flapping, buzzing, and gliding.
Gliding requires no power, it's just a controlled fall.

Flapping is up and down movement of wings, which is of course powered. It must move forward constantly to keep in the air.

Buzzing is a very rapid beat of the wings in a figure eight. It is the most useful form of flight, since the animal can hover, move backwards and side to side, and accelerate and decelerate very rapidly. The caveat is that it can only work on small wings.

The efficacy of all of these will be calculated by taking into account the mass of the creature, the surface area of its ventral profile, and the density of the air surrounding.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
We have, but it was years ago. There are three types, flapping, buzzing, and gliding.

Flapping is up and down movement of wings, which is of course powered. It must move forward constantly to keep in the air.

Buzzing is a very rapid beat of the wings in a figure eight. It is the most useful form of flight, since the animal can hover, move backwards and side to side, and accelerate and decelerate very rapidly. The caveat is that it can only work on small wings.

The efficacy of all of these will be calculated by taking into account the mass of the creature, the surface area of its ventral profile, and the density of the air surrounding.
How easy will this be to animate/program?
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

How easy will this be to animate/program?
Besides that, which is a major question, what will lead up to flight? We have to have something be a precursor to flight. For example, feathers evolved on dinosaurs for insulation/display, and only later were modified for flight. I don't really know how the other 3 animal groups that fly started out, but I think however they started out should be a major consideration.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Animation should be an absolute breeze. Ventral surface area is as simple as taking the silhouette from the bottom and figuring out the area. Mass is already determined as part of the creature, and air density is part of the planet.

As to the evolutionary path, the specific evolution of wings is well understood in birds, bats, and, to a lesser extent I believe, pterosaurs. It is not so well understood in insects, but there are a few theories that we can exploit, which is that they are modified wings, or that they are modified gills.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Animation should be an absolute breeze. Ventral surface area is as simple as taking the silhouette from the bottom and figuring out the area. Mass is already determined as part of the creature, and air density is part of the planet.

As to the evolutionary path, the specific evolution of wings is well understood in birds, bats, and, to a lesser extent I believe, pterosaurs. It is not so well understood in insects, but there are a few theories that we can exploit, which is that they are modified wings, or that they are modified gills.
Yes, very little is known about pterosaur evolution besides the fact they shared the same ancestor as dinosaurs. What I'm trying to say though is we need to look at the actions that led to wings. Back to my dino example, larger primary wings are believed to have evolved either to help the dinosaur run faster or to climb quickly up trees away from predators by flapping their wings to speed them up. There has to be a precursor to flight and gliding, otherwise there's no possibility for the wing to evolve.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Yes, very little is known about pterosaur evolution besides the fact they shared the same ancestor as dinosaurs. What I'm trying to say though is we need to look at the actions that led to wings. Back to my dino example, larger primary wings are believed to have evolved either to help the dinosaur run faster or to climb quickly up trees away from predators by flapping their wings to speed them up. There has to be a precursor to flight and gliding, otherwise there's no possibility for the wing to evolve.
Ah. I see you are well versed in Therepod to Avialae evolutionary path. What you say is true. Feathers originally grew for insulation, were modified for display, then were repurposed once again for flight. The problem is we haven't solved the great question of ground-up or tree-down. That doesn't matter in thrive though, because either way is a plausible evolutionary path. The feathers will help stabilize a runner and help slow the descent of a falling. Again, it doesn't matter what path they take.
A higher ventral surface area to mass ratio will help both overall agility and fall speed, so it can eventually lead to gliding, then to powered flight, or straight to powered flight.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 pm

~sciocont wrote:

Ah. I see you are well versed in Therepod to Avialae evolutionary path. What you say is true. Feathers originally grew for insulation, were modified for display, then were repurposed once again for flight. The problem is we haven't solved the great question of ground-up or tree-down. That doesn't matter in thrive though, because either way is a plausible evolutionary path. The feathers will help stabilize a runner and help slow the descent of a falling. Again, it doesn't matter what path they take.
A higher ventral surface area to mass ratio will help both overall agility and fall speed, so it can eventually lead to gliding, then to powered flight, or straight to powered flight.
So I'm guessing we'll implement the two theories of therepod bird evolution to creatures that have feathers or feather-like structures?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

So I'm guessing we'll implement the two theories of therepod bird evolution to creatures that have feathers or feather-like structures?
Basically.
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 3:31 pm

I have a question about flight. Will be able to be things like sky whales and other full time aerial animals, or would we be limited to bird like animals and gliding animals?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Mixotroph wrote:
I have a question about flight. Will be able to be things like sky whales and other full time aerial animals, or would we be limited to bird like animals and gliding animals?
depends on your atmosphere. Flying takes a lot of work, but full-time gliders and floaters are possible.
Back to top Go down
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer
GreatGranpapy

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 pm

What if we combined a specific kind of gliding with claws made to puncture the bark of trees or hard rock of a cliff-side so as to gain a heightened position from which to launch off of?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gliding skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gliding skin   Gliding skin Empty

Back to top Go down

Gliding skin
Page 1 of 1