Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Close Encounters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Close Encounters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Close Encounters Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Close Encounters Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Close Encounters Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Close Encounters Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Close Encounters Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Close Encounters Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Close Encounters Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Close Encounters Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Close Encounters Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Close Encounters Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Close Encounters Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Close Encounters Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Close Encounters Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Close Encounters Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Close Encounters Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Close Encounters Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Close Encounters Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Close Encounters Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Close Encounters

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 pm

I was browsing the close encounters scale 1-7 and figured it could play a very interesting role in the game. The first part of the scale is sightings. Suppose an alien's spacecraft appeared over one of your races cities. This would simply be an appearance. You could attack it I suppose resulting in a war of the worlds sort of thing, attempt contact (I'll ellaborate later). Or dismiss it and let it float there possibly causing a panic resulting in a wide variety of problems like the aliens possibly attacking, citizens attacking the craft, people stealing from stores and taking shelter in fear, etc. The second part of the scale is physical affects from the ufo which is really just like the way the first part would be but with maybe higher chance of panics. Part three is "animate beings" which is quite vague unfortunately, but it could be a being which seems intelligent, but unlike anything that could evolve on your planet near a type 1. Again, hightened chances of panic, and perhaps hightened chances of citizens attacking, but attacking the alien causing a war. Four was not in the original scale but is abduction. Abduction of a citizen should ensure some kind of panic, and if there are any witnesses, there should be an almost definite chance of attack such as throwing rocks, shooting guns if a witness is armed, etc. Five is contact. Possibly by either a citizen, or even the government if initiated from a type 1 or 2; possibly 3, and maybe 4. Of course, its also perfectly possible that the alien race could contact the player, maybe even from their home planet. It should even be possible for the sharing of alien technology with the player's race resulting in huge leaps forward. Six was only proposed on a website, but it is ufo incidents causing injury or death of a citizen. This should result in a player's choice of hostile contact, or attack. The player should not be allowed to let this one fly. Seven seems rather disgusting in my opinion, it's breeding between aliens and the players race. I honestly have no idea how this could be implemented, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. What are your thoughts and views on this?
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Gryphogrox wrote:
I was browsing the close encounters scale 1-7 and figured it could play a very interesting role in the game. The first part of the scale is sightings. Suppose an alien's spacecraft appeared over one of your races cities. This would simply be an appearance. You could attack it I suppose resulting in a war of the worlds sort of thing, attempt contact (I'll ellaborate later). Or dismiss it and let it float there possibly causing a panic resulting in a wide variety of problems like the aliens possibly attacking, citizens attacking the craft, people stealing from stores and taking shelter in fear, etc. The second part of the scale is physical affects from the ufo which is really just like the way the first part would be but with maybe higher chance of panics. Part three is "animate beings" which is quite vague unfortunately, but it could be a being which seems intelligent, but unlike anything that could evolve on your planet near a type 1. Again, hightened chances of panic, and perhaps hightened chances of citizens attacking, but attacking the alien causing a war. Four was not in the original scale but is abduction. Abduction of a citizen should ensure some kind of panic, and if there are any witnesses, there should be an almost definite chance of attack such as throwing rocks, shooting guns if a witness is armed, etc. Five is contact. Possibly by either a citizen, or even the government if initiated from a type 1 or 2; possibly 3, and maybe 4. Of course, its also perfectly possible that the alien race could contact the player, maybe even from their home planet. It should even be possible for the sharing of alien technology with the player's race resulting in huge leaps forward. Six was only proposed on a website, but it is ufo incidents causing injury or death of a citizen. This should result in a player's choice of hostile contact, or attack. The player should not be allowed to let this one fly. Seven seems rather disgusting in my opinion, it's breeding between aliens and the players race. I honestly have no idea how this could be implemented, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. What are your thoughts and views on this?
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to put labels on how far contact has gone with alien races? Because the UFO scale doesn't exactly fit with the game, but an altered version could. And attacking a UFO shouldn't be an automatic declaration of war if your race is as low on the scale as humans are right now. Real UFOs have actually been shot at--look up Battle of Los Angeles (not the recent movie, this was an event during WWII were shots were fired at what were thought at the time to be Japanese planes). Battle of L.A. isn't the only occasion either, it's just the most famous.
Back to top Go down

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:52 pm

No, I'm not making labels for how far contact has gone, there was a guy (I think he was a ufologist) named hynek who created 1-3 on the scale. 4-5 were added later, and 6-7 have only been ideas. As far as attacking ufos goes, I suppose you're sort of right. Some aliens may not be very aggressive, but of course, when we attacked them then, our weapons were likely more primitive and the aliens may not have noticed. Like throwing sticks at a helicopter. But suppose we went to an alien planet and something was shooting at us with all they had, we would likely treat it as any other attack on Earth. Like I said, It depends on a variety of things, the aliens, your race, etc. I just think this would be interesting in the game. Especially aliens sharing technology with your race.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Gryphogrox wrote:
No, I'm not making labels for how far contact has gone, there was a guy (I think he was a ufologist) named hynek who created 1-3 on the scale. 4-5 were added later, and 6-7 have only been ideas. As far as attacking ufos goes, I suppose you're sort of right. Some aliens may not be very aggressive, but of course, when we attacked them then, our weapons were likely more primitive and the aliens may not have noticed. Like throwing sticks at a helicopter. But suppose we went to an alien planet and something was shooting at us with all they had, we would likely treat it as any other attack on Earth. Like I said, It depends on a variety of things, the aliens, your race, etc. I just think this would be interesting in the game. Especially aliens sharing technology with your race.
I know about Close Encounters UFO scale (I'm big into UFOs and other weird stuff like them). I don't see how the scale can be implemented besides just as labels. I agree with the concepts you're saying, but these are more advanced ideas that doesn't really fit into one single concept.
Also, just because you're in a spaceship and your being attacked like nuts doesn't mean your race should automatically go to war. Sure, you could if your playing your race as extremely warlike considering any attack as a threat, but again, look at the Battle of L.A. They were pretty much putting everything the could put out at that UFO, and nothing happened as a result. Just because your being attacked doesn't mean the race wants to go to war, it could just mean they're freaked out.
Back to top Go down

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 pm

I guess you're right about the war thing, but war should be a possibility like you say. As for where this could be implemented, I guess mainly industrial stage, but a ufo could visit much earlier however with few possible results. Maybe just abduction as a low chance possibility.
Back to top Go down
Flashman
Newcomer

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 pm

The reason nothing happened at L.A. was because it was a baloon, and everyone missed. So I think that if a UFO from a paranoid race started observing a city, and then you took out a depleted uranium or naval gun because you were so terrified... It's gonna leave a dent, and if the race is warlike or paranoid, they would use it as an excuse to conquer the planet. And if you win, you immediately advance to Space stage. But depending on the level of tech you get lower levels of likely hood of defeating, renessaince being the lowest where you have any chance of winning.
Back to top Go down

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't think instant space stage is reasonable, but you should be able to recover damaged technology.
Back to top Go down
Flashman
Newcomer

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 pm

I think it would be neat to have the technology boosts, but your probably right bout instant space stage.
That being said, I think it would be really cool to have a War of The Worlds type scenario.
Back to top Go down

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm

that type of scenario is definitely possible so no worries there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Close Encounters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Close Encounters   Close Encounters Empty

Back to top Go down

Close Encounters
Page 1 of 1