Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Function Part Discussion

Go down 
+14
penumbra espinosa
Jimexmore
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
FunnyGames
Holomanga
untrustedlife
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
Sundu
US_of_Alaska
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
Tarpy
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 7:41 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
The problem is, how would we define what is dirt/grass? Where does it end?

We don't have to. Dirt and grass would have the same friction value.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm

No, I'm saying how would we define a plot of land as dirt OR grass? Will there be areas that will have permanent grass? Or permanent snow? Also, what about a transition between dirt and sand? When does the dirt stop and the sand start? It all seems very hazy to me.

Also, isn't this leading back to "We would have to calculate the acceleration of the vehicle every single time it enters a new type of environment", except replacing acceleration with speed?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Actually, the slope thing formula doesent look too good. It's not realistic. Here is the formula i've come up after filling about one page with physical formulas:

a = Fm*g*r*Cos(α)/m-g*Sin(α)

Where:

Fm is the raw force the motor outputs.
g is the gravity of the planet.
r is the friction coeficient between the wheel and the surface (i'm glad you alredy introduced this, as it was the concept i thought you would have most problems with)
α is the degree of the slope.
m is the mass of the vehicle.

(For all graphics, the left side is -90º (straight down) and the right side is 90º (straight up))
Here is how your formula behaves:
Spoiler:

Here is how my formula behaves:
Spoiler:

Finally, that acceleration is aplied to the vehicle each cycle, substracting the -acceleration that comes from air friction.

The only variable that comes from the wheel is r (friction). I would personally treat all surfaces as the same and only care about the wheel. r also modifies the turning speed (higher r means turning faster)

Edit: I managed to put the same graph for all images. It is fixed now.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:16 am

Very good work. So motor force would be dependent on the engine used to power the vehicle, or animal to pull it. For the former case, engines will be covered as FP's, with a motor force value assigned to each variant.

Gravity would be determined from the creation of the planet during the PPG.

Like you said, I agree that friction of all surfaces should be constant. How would we find the friction of the wheel? Another compound property?

Slope degrees should be easy enough to find.

However, I think finding the mass of the vehicle should be specified. So, solid shapes or chunks of a single material, or compound, in the editor will have easily calculatable volumes, right? Either the player drags out a 3D shape, and changes its dimensions, and the volume is found off of that, or the computer can count the voxels, a concept I am not very familiar with. Then, using the density of whatever compounds they are made of, you use volume to find mass.

The problem starts when you get very irregular shapes, or objects that are hollow. I really don't know what the solution to that is.

Also, FP's are a special case. They shouldn't be too hard. We give them a set volume at the default size, and whenever the player enlargens, stretches, or shrinks it, we change the volume accordingly. Then, based on what its made of, we find mass.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 am

Actually, I think it would be a more efficient to discuss vehicles on a different thread. On that thread, we could discuss how would vehicles behave in the world and that sort of stuff.

Should I make this thread, so we can continue with the actual FP work?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 8:54 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Very good work. So motor force would be dependent on the engine used to power the vehicle, or animal to pull it. For the former case, engines will be covered as FP's, with a motor force value assigned to each variant.

Actually, each type of propulsion would need its own formula. This one only works for an internal motor powering the wheels. Other than that, we have:

[list][*]Rockets
[*]Propellers (what a strange name)
[*]Animal pulling
[*]Super-advanced ones, like teleportation, or an infinite improbablility drive

Back to top Go down
FunnyGames
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 am

Cool, looks interesting!
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm

You should make the thread. I think we have been discussing wheels and vehicles for a page now. Call it something like "Tech Object Propulsion".

Dani, be sure to post your formulas for each of those propulsion types on the new thread. I'll copy over any important equations.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Done.

Here is the link to that thread.

Tomorrow I'll sum up everything we have on the wheel and we can then continue.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Ok, i just posted all the formulas i can come up with on the other thread. They are rushed, so i might need to revise them, though.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:16 am

Next thing for disscusion is, according to list, rope. Bassicaly, it would be used to connect stuff.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:19 am

You could also use it to climb too, right?
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 am

Thriving Cheese wrote:
You could also use it to climb too, right?

Yes... But we first need some formulas. Im not sure exactly for what, ropes arent wheel, spear, or etc.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am

Code:
int Ropes_Durability( Rope_Thikness, Rope_Length, Material)
{
durability = (Material * Rope_Thikness) / (Rope_Length / 5);
return durability;
}
Durability would be, well be how durable rhe rope is, adn that's the kinda thing that I can think of for the ropes that would need an equation/formula?
The number 5 was just me improvising.
EDIT: Note that I'm not a pro at proggraming and math, there migth be a better solution for this (It's very likely) this was just an outcast.

EDIT AGAIN: Durability would kinda be for how heavy things it could bear, including someone climbing it.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:50 am

Durability? What could we use that for?

One thing that might be usefull for ropes would be force suported (how much force it can do before breaking). Here comes handy the tensile strenght again.

Fs = Ts/A

Where:
Ts - Tensile strenght
A - Area of the rope

We dont NECESARLY need a formula for each FP. Also, you dont need to write C++ code for the formula. The only important line is the actual formula, the rest of the function will be based on the actual implementation.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 am

Well, with Durability I kinda meant the same thing as force supported.
Thriving Cheese wrote:
Durability would kinda be for how heavy things it could bear, including someone climbing it.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 am

Before we start discussing formulas for durability, let's first discuss what would the rope actually be used for and what formulas will there be.

Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 am

Using rope and hook, you can make climbing hook.

Uses of rope-
Coonecting
Climbing
Electrycity coonection (If made from good material)
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 am

WilliamstheJohn wrote:

Electrycity coonection (If made from good material)

Electrical wires would be used for that. Also, I'm pretty sure rope can only be made from one single type of material.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 am

Tarpy wrote:
Also, I'm pretty sure rope can only be made from one single type of material.
Well, I thought chains would be counted as some kinda ropes, adn they can be made out of a lot of different materials...
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:56 am

Chains are a different function part, and ropes should, for the sake of simplicity, be treated as made from only one material.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

I would personally treat chains, ropes, cables and all of that as the same fp. They basically do the same thing: Suport force along its axis.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Agreed. FP's should never be separated because of the material they are made of, if all functions and purposes are the same. We could make them variants of the same FP. It makes them both "sub-FP's" of the same FP, akin to picking between single-sided blades and double-sided blades when selecting a blade FP.

However, the more important question is what uses does a rope actually serve in game?

Electrical conductivity is for wires, not ropes. The question then becomes, however, should wires be a variant of ropes, like mentioned above? Or should they be a separate FP?

Connecting? What would you connect?

Climbing is not in the game.

Any other functions?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Actually, there are a few uses for ropes:

• Keeping a creature in place: From a captured animal, to a prisoner, or even keeping an astronaut on the outside of a spaceship from drifting away.
  • Joining vehicles: As an alternative for a fixed conection. For example, to conect a horse to the vehicle it is pulling.
  • On hanging bridges or other hanging structures. (Actually, by cables i was refering to the cables that keep hanging bridges on place, not wires.)

Uses for wires:

As we are not simulating the interior of the fp at all, all the wires can do is conecting electricity from a place to another. Probably in a similar way of how SimCity handles electricity.

I would treat cables wires as a diferent fp, made out of a connective material on the inside and an optional aislant material on the outside.

Last edited by Daniferrito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 am

Okay, so rope can be used to restrain organisms. To put this in terms of the game, I think it should be that any unit equipped with a rope can restrain an animal. Animal pens will cover restraining animals in buildings. Prisons will handle restraining people in buildings.

Ropes for astronauts might be challenging to implement. How about any astronaut must be equipped with a rope to leave the spaceship? I'm reluctant to propose that for implementation, though, because it just seems like too much micromanagement.

Joining vehicles, easy enough.

For hanging structures, to what extent will we have a full physics, mechanics, and architecture simulator in the Tech Editor?

I agree with merging cables with ropes. We could just make it a later variant of ropes that has more tensile strength.

I don't understand, for the last sentence did you say cables by accident? Did you mean wires?

Also, as a basic restriction for the FP, ropes and cables can only be made of compounds tagged as "fibrous", and chains only out of metals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Function Part Discussion
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next