Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Function Part Discussion

Go down 
+14
penumbra espinosa
Jimexmore
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
FunnyGames
Holomanga
untrustedlife
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
Sundu
US_of_Alaska
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
Tarpy
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 am

^Sounds good^

But makes me think, maybe just have a coded barrier that goes further out from the coastline as you upgrade your technology, then disappears when the barrier shrinks to a certain size?
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 pm

For the first release indeed usefull to keep it simple.
But for the real part, it would more depend on the curvature of the planet and the horizon and how high the mountains are. Its not nessesary, to see what exactly there is, only where the land mass is so you can orientate yourself on it. But i have to agree with your suggestion to keep it more simple. Otherwise the development would take longer as our lifespans. :/
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:27 pm

The height of the mountains doesn't affect how far out to sea your ships can go. I agree with Doctor, having a preset barrier of some certain depth, that would extend with technology and be traversible with the proper function parts.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Yeah thats more or less what I had in mind.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm

So I think the increments should be:

500m
1500m
3500m
5000m

Each one would be unlocked by a different tech. However, we need to scale these to the size of the planets in Thrive, so does someone know how large the average Thrive planet is compared to Earth? How many times smaller?
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I just came back from a trip, so expect activity as usual from me starting from tomorrow.

Nick- So, 500m would be available as soon as you discover boating, 1500m would be seafaring, 3500m would be compass, and 5000m would be what?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Actually where you put compass is navigation, and the last one will have to be a modern tech that makes basically any ocean safe on a planet. Compass itself only affects LoS for naval units. However, we will have to scale these depths to the size of the planet.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 am

I dont really know about that travel restriction idea. I think that storms, diseases, lack of morale and similiar would already stop player from sailing far away. It just looks unrealistic to have a invisible wall on sea, like sea monster in Spore. :| 
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 am

Storms aren't ever present, and those other factors won't affect ships (there won't be morale).
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 pm

One of the reason i gave the idea with the visibility to the mainland. Possible, that something like this will be added later on. But for now its important to keep things simple to be able to create a first version of the game. After the game is released, i think it will gain knowledge and the modding community will add a lot, because of the open source model. But until then its a long way.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 am

I agree with William, the sea in thrive shouldn't be there to taunt you. We should be able to swim out of sea, regardless of how long it would take.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 am

Its not a question of length of time, its a question of being able to or not being able to go to certain types of seas. Deep ocean served as a natural barrier to ships for many centuries, and we are simulating that through the tech unlock system for different depth ranges, as we do not have a simulation of all the forces that would normally stop a ship from going to deep ocean (or destroy it in doing so). Its the same reason why we put predefined limits to the altitude a certain plane can fly at, because we do not have a real time full scale physics simulation in the game world.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Its not a question of length of time, its a question of being able to or not being able to go to certain types of seas. Deep ocean served as a natural barrier to ships for many centuries, and we are simulating that through the tech unlock system for different depth ranges, as we do not have a simulation of all the forces that would normally stop a ship from going to deep ocean (or destroy it in doing so). Its the same reason why we put predefined limits to the altitude a certain plane can fly at, because we do not have a real time full scale physics simulation in the game world.
That makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

How are we going to making scaling the depth relative? The only thing that I could think of is that we take the deepest point of the planets ocean, and make the first limit be 25% of the distance between the lowest point and the water level, the second 50%, the third 75% and the last make it possible to go to any depth.

Anyone got more ideas?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm

No, I said to scale those caps to the size of the average planet in Thrive, not to make them relative to the planet. We need to determine how many times smaller an average Thrive world is to Earth, and then mutliply that by each depth limit.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm

12.7 km's in diameter, at least that's what Seregon said. Since earth is approximately 12,700 km's, that means that we are on a scale of 1:1000. Of course, that would be an earth-sized planet in Thrive, you could still have larger or smaller ones too.

So, how would this formula go? Anyone have ideas?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:12 pm

That would mean 0.5 meters would be the first cap, which I think is ridiculous, so we will have to remodel the depth of oceans compared to the size of the planet. Let's just keep these caps the way they are now, and once we have a prototype out of an average Thrive planet, we can scale them accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 pm

That is exactly why I asked for more ideas. I tried to make my own formula, and I guess we both tried to do the same thing when making the formula and got a small number.

Also, yes, keep these standard caps until we get actual planet sizes.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Remember to update Housing on the OP.

EDIT: Also, how will we determine the max speed an "n" amount of oars would reach? It would have to factor in both the force exerted per oar, and the mass of the vehicle, and the liquid medium.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:45 am

I just wanted to say, this thread may seem dead now, but once I get back, I plan to get back into posting here as much as I can. I have a lot of ideas for Function Parts.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 11:32 pm

To help speed up the discussion on this thread, here are some FP's I filled out concept for.

Crafting Space

Structure – Must have minimum dimensions of 3x4x2m. Every further 24m^3 of volume enables an additional process. Executes processes at half the normal time. Crafts any Tech Object not tagged as a “Structure”.

Sentry Post

Structure – Has triple the line of sight other structures have. Garrisons three units per every 3x3x2m rectangular prism that fits inside the shape it takes. Garrisoned units have only a 35% chance of being hit, with 65% of hits damaging the Sentry Post instead. Units garrisoned inside the Sentry Post can only make ranged attacks.

Statue

Structure – Gives +1 bonus to Culture* regardless of shape or material. Can be shaped or fashioned in any way.

Shrine

Structure – Gives a +4 bonus to Culture per every 8m^3 of volume. Minimum dimensions of 2x2x2m.

Sacrificial Altar

Structure – Gives a +2 bonus to Culture, a +5 bonus to Stability, a -1 penalty to Happiness, and a -0.05% penalty to Pop Growth per every 8m^3 of volume. Minimum dimensions of 2x2x2m.

*All bonuses apply to the specific SC it is located in unless otherwise stated.

Structures are the easiest one to do (I find), so I'm trying to get them all done first before moving on to the others.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 am

Just one question, how would we calculate how long an FP takes to construct. My idea would be that every FP takes a certain time to make, and every time you add a new FP the time it takes to make the TO would be increased by that amount.

Updated the OP.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 3:17 pm

@Nick

These look great.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Tarpy wrote:
Just one question, how would we calculate how long an FP takes to construct. My idea would be that every FP takes a certain time to make, and every time you add a new FP the time it takes to make the TO would be increased by that amount.
That is something to discuss soon, but it will be mostly predefined (while at the same time factoring in the densities of the materials it was made from). Mass will be replacing Construction Cost, so heavier TO's will take more work to make.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Function Part Discussion   Function Part Discussion - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Function Part Discussion
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next