Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Legal problems for a song Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Legal problems for a song Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Legal problems for a song Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Legal problems for a song Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Legal problems for a song Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Legal problems for a song Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Legal problems for a song Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Legal problems for a song Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Legal problems for a song Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Legal problems for a song Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Legal problems for a song Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Legal problems for a song Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Legal problems for a song Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Legal problems for a song Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Legal problems for a song Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Legal problems for a song

Go down 
+3
Daniferrito
RodGame
Doggit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

Legal problems for a song Empty
PostSubject: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

A person contacted me, the author of a song that is on my Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpbQiUmThE) telling me to buy the right to Jamendo PRO or delete the song.

Besides freesounds I found this site a few months ago, and of course I immediately asked what were the terms for use and / or modify their songs.

They told me that there are two types of contracts: one is the use of the songs featured on the site with the only requirement to make credits (what I did) and that the use of this song does not lead to profits (thrive is opensource ), while the second concerns the purchase (money) of a right to use any song even if they are aimed at profit.

Obviously I fall under the first category I got the song and used.

Now this guy tells me to remove it, but I do not know what to do. I'm pretty sure they're right, but I need some of you may know better on the site. I would do it myself, but I'm not very good with English so I could not understand some important concept.

This is the discussion:

[REMOVED AS PER TAKEDOWN REQUEST]
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Straight from Jamendo's FAQ :

Jamendo's FAQ wrote:

Creative Commons are licenses that enable musicians to give away their music for free while protecting their rights. They are easy to use and compatible with internet standards, and allow rights holders to authorize (or not) certain uses of their music, such as commercial uses and derived works.

He mentionned his music was under CC BY-NC-ND license. As mentionned on the link provided, it is a non-derived license and Jamendo allows it.

The question is, did you modify the song or just took it and put it straight on youtube ?

If it's the former, I think he is right that it isn't allowed.

If it's the latter, I think he is wrong and we are allowed to use it. We are non-profit and rediscussed recently for the website. However, I don't think it's worth bothering someone to use it's song. We can just remove it and come with another song for this part later on. It's really not a big problem.

Looking back at the message you exchange and the license, I think he talks about this specific part :

http://mollykleinman.com/2008/10/20/cc-howto-no-derivatives/ wrote:

One Exception

In general, the kinds of adaptations that the No Derivatives license prohibits match the definition of derivative works in the Copyright Act, but there is an exception: Songs used in video. No Derivatives licenses use the word “Adaptation” instead of the legal term “derivative work,” and include this language in the definition of “Adaptation”:

For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical work, performance or phonogram, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image (“synching”) will be considered an Adaptation for the purpose of this License.

Using an unaltered song in the soundtrack to a video does not make the video a derivative work, because the song itself has not been recast, transformed, or adapted in any way. However, the language above extends the definition of adaptation to include “synchronization of [music] with a moving image,” which means that as far as No Derivatives licenses are concerned, videos that use an ND-licensed song violate the terms of the license.

In that particular case, the image is not moving. If you just took his song, put it on the video and put it on youtube, I think you're respecting the license. I still don't think it's worth bothering if you just took his song. You can explain the exact situation to him, and tell him that his song will just be in a free game with its credit, but if he doesn't want, lets just take it down.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 2:49 am

In my opinion, no matter what the licence says, if the author complains about us using it, we should not use it. Even if their licence alows us to.

The problem i see is whether this guy is the real author of the music or just a random troll. Probably contacting directly the page to ask whether they are really complaining.

Finally, the thing he is complaining about is you using it on a video. Maybe it is because youtube videos sometimes have ads on them, which will no longer fall under the free use.

Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 am

Daniferrito wrote:

The problem i see is whether this guy is the real author of the music or just a random troll. Probably contacting directly the page to ask whether they are really complaining.

I also think: Is that real song creator or not? I think, it would not be logic to he doesnt let us use it, when licenses allow. It might be a troll.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 am

I wrote that from the legal point of view we can use it. I sent him the link to this discussion .. in case you want to discuss it only has to register.

In any case, I do not take it off, because we are right.

P.s. I did not make any changes to the song
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 am

I think we should stick to music made by doggit, and our other composers (no legal problems there)
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am

I agree with Untrustedlife. No matter whether he is a part of the company or just a troll, just stick to using one of your or Oliveriver's songs, that way we need not worry about this at all.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 pm

I am with Daniferrito here: if the creator doesn't want their music used in this context, we'll respect their desires. Our composers are sufficiently talented to write music for the game when it's needed.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 7:19 pm

I deleted the video of the song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legal problems for a song   Legal problems for a song Empty

Back to top Go down

Legal problems for a song
Page 1 of 1