Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:00 am

Hello there,

New version! 0.1.8, includes:
- Symmetrical parts
- Delete parts (right mouse click)
- Fixed some bugs

V0.1.7:
- Horizontal parts (Put on the back of the cell)
- The parts are saved after you switch to skeleton mode
- Rotate parts (+-90 degrees)
- Save and Load your cells!

Here's the folder for all versions:
MediaFire folder

i created it with processing, it's a java based, so it'll be easy to convert to C++.

Comment your thoughts, unfortunately I won't reply them right away, but I'll check the forums frequently. (I'll watch this topic) So know that I do read your comments, even if not replying.

Enjoy!


Last edited by FunnyGames on Sat May 04, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniferrito
Experienced


Posts : 726
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 22
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 am

Great! I'm downloading it right now. I recomend you to create a thread for your prototype so we can discuss it separatedly of this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Microbe prototype #3 (editor)   Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 am

~sciocont told me to create it here, and then you will split it and make a new one.

(I don't have permissions to create new threads)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniferrito
Experienced


Posts : 726
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 22
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 am

You are above 10 posts, you should have been able to create it alredy. Anyway, here it is. You should be able to rename it to whatever yourself if you want, if not, notify me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:58 am

Ok, thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RodGame
Newcomer


Posts : 94
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

Hey! Pretty cool!

Here my comments :

o Would be nice to be able to resize the screen, I would like to be able to keep it windowed but full screen.
o DELETE is pretty far, D would be better IMO since we work with Ctrl,a/s/q/w at that moment.
o We don't see point inside the cell so it's hard to pick them.
o CTRL allow to select multiple point but not to modify them. Also, It seems to work in a way I don't understand. Sometime I can pick 4-5, sometimes I can only pick 2-3. Sometimes, it deselect one in the middle, ect...
o Instead of using A/S, I'd see only S for SWITCH. Would be simpler. At first I tried to get back to skelton with A and couldn't revert. Took me a while to realize that S worked.
o Would be cool to be able to add part horizontally.
o Would be cool to be able to switch between Q/W without the need to Right-Click

Lastly, you can go to membrane if you have some "hole" or some "line" inside your cell. It should be mentionned somewhere. Also, I'd like to have the alert that my cell won't go to Membrane mode before I try it. It should be tested after a point have been created and realeased. This way you could make a point, see the alert, then change it right away to not be dissapointed later on.

You probably knew some of those point but I pointed what I saw while trying it and my opinions about some design. This is really good work and it will be a very useful reference for when we'll put it in the real game! Good job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm

This is a great start, and RodGame's ideas are quite good. I have a couple suggestions as well.

-the cytoskeleton currently can exist outside of the cell. I'd prefer the membrane addition step create a membrane completely encasing the skeleton. The method you have now where the membrane is created by creating arcs tangent to the struts looks really good though. I've been able to create quite a beautiful little cell
-being able to add new points on at any position would be quite nice
-I'd like the ability to turn the outside organelles in any direction (s long as it's pointing out of the cell)
Actually, that's about it. This is a really great prototype, and is much more intuitive and probably just as important in gameplay as how I originally envisioned it. Excellent work.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I have no productive feedback as of yet, but very well done!

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead


Posts : 220
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2013-04-05
Age : 18
Location : The United States of America

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Wow great job!

On top of what the others have said, I only recommend you perhaps add some form of color to the next version to give it a bit more life. Also, maybe some different sized outside/inside parts would be great too.

Fantastic job so far, I'm looking forward to what's next with this!

_________________
WJacobC.com, @WJacobC on Twitter.
Revolutionary Games Website Prototype: WJacobC.com/Thrive
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://WJacobC.com
untrustedlife
Regular


Posts : 252
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : [Classified]

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Looks great funnygames, it seems part of the skeleton is not being covered by a membrane though if you make your cell big. /:

----
I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the AI in my prototype for the new physics system, thinking of getting rid of the new system altogether (even though it is more realistic) so I can focus on the environment. (the only reason i'm not finished yet is because i suddenly got really busy this week, i'm disappointed in myself /: ) sorry guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
specialk2121
Newcomer


Posts : 66
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-12-14
Age : 19
Location : Empire State of the South

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm having trouble getting the program to start.
I get the error "cannot find javaw.exe" when i click on the celleditorv2.exe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniferrito
Experienced


Posts : 726
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2012-10-10
Age : 22
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Make sure you have installed java on your computer.

You can get it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 pm

I LOVE it! Great work here guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 am

RodGame wrote:
Hey! Pretty cool!

Here my comments :

o Would be nice to be able to resize the screen, I would like to be able to keep it windowed but full screen.
o DELETE is pretty far, D would be better IMO since we work with Ctrl,a/s/q/w at that moment.
o We don't see point inside the cell so it's hard to pick them.
o CTRL allow to select multiple point but not to modify them. Also, It seems to work in a way I don't understand. Sometime I can pick 4-5, sometimes I can only pick 2-3. Sometimes, it deselect one in the middle, ect...
o Instead of using A/S, I'd see only S for SWITCH. Would be simpler. At first I tried to get back to skelton with A and couldn't revert. Took me a while to realize that S worked.
o Would be cool to be able to add part horizontally.
o Would be cool to be able to switch between Q/W without the need to Right-Click

Lastly, you can go to membrane if you have some "hole" or some "line" inside your cell. It should be mentionned somewhere. Also, I'd like to have the alert that my cell won't go to Membrane mode before I try it. It should be tested after a point have been created and realeased. This way you could make a point, see the alert, then change it right away to not be dissapointed later on.

You probably knew some of those point but I pointed what I saw while trying it and my opinions about some design. This is really good work and it will be a very useful reference for when we'll put it in the real game! Good job!

When you select 2 points, you can add a point between them, that's why you added a point between. And I fixed the multiple selected points, it actually was meant to add a point between, but I changed it now.

I don't know what the bold means, sorry.

~sciocont wrote:
This is a great start, and RodGame's ideas are quite good. I have a couple suggestions as well.

-the cytoskeleton currently can exist outside of the cell. I'd prefer the membrane addition step create a membrane completely encasing the skeleton. The method you have now where the membrane is created by creating arcs tangent to the struts looks really good though. I've been able to create quite a beautiful little cell
-being able to add new points on at any position would be quite nice
-I'd like the ability to turn the outside organelles in any direction (s long as it's pointing out of the cell)
Actually, that's about it. This is a really great prototype, and is much more intuitive and probably just as important in gameplay as how I originally envisioned it. Excellent work.

Unfortunately I did nothing from the above... =(
The first suggestion, if going according that, you don't need the membrane, because think of complex skeleton, I thought of it, but it wouldn't work. (I also tried it or something similar,it resulted that it has TOO many overlaps)
The second suggestion, I don't understand it... Did you mean you can add points between points? If so, it's implemented in 1.5.1r1 already.
The third suggestion, it's a problem, because if you make a complex body where you have 3 points in a sharp edge, it will already points out and in the body. Basically, we can make it to turn all directions.

WJacobC wrote:
Wow great job!

On top of what the others have said, I only recommend you perhaps add some form of color to the next version to give it a bit more life. Also, maybe some different sized outside/inside parts would be great too.

Fantastic job so far, I'm looking forward to what's next with this!

Coloring and texturing won't be now, as ~scio told me once, textures are not the important now, so I don't want to waste time doing it. Different size, is also not a problem, as you can see in Doggit video (in Youtube) about Cell Editor v0.0.9, which you can change the size of the body, it will work the same way. Note: Also the same way about rotation the parts.

To everyone: Thanks for your kind and good comments! I really appreciate them!

New version is out! V0.1.6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RodGame
Newcomer


Posts : 94
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 am

Nice work again!

Thanks for taking my suggestion in account, i enjoyed the "gameplay" much more. It seems more intuitive to me.

About the "horizontal part" that you put in bold, i was talking about putting organelle in any direction. It seems to be working now, except on horizontal vertices, the one linking two symmetrical point together. If you just add two points and go to membrane section, you can't put organelle on the front of the microbe. That would be cool.

CTRL interaction work pretty well! I like how you can move multiple point at one. I also like how you can add point between them, it works perfectly.

Last thing I'd suggest, would be to allow to keep organelle when you switch between skeleton/membrane. You could memorize the position of an organelle, let the user modify the skeleton, when it come back to membrane, check if the position of the 2 points apart from the organelle changed. If the points that "hold" the organelle stayed at the exact position, draw them again. If it changed, don't draw them. You could afterward add complexity to it. i.e : If the two point just translate in one direction, redraw the organelle translate with the same amount.

Excellent work my friend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
untrustedlife
Regular


Posts : 252
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2013-03-26
Location : [Classified]

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 am

Sounds great funnygames, I'll check out the new version when I get home tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Quote :
Unfortunately I did nothing from the above... =(
The first suggestion, if going according that, you don't need the membrane, because think of complex skeleton, I thought of it, but it wouldn't work. (I also tried it or something similar,it resulted that it has TOO many overlaps)
The second suggestion, I don't understand it... Did you mean you can add points between points? If so, it's implemented in 1.5.1r1 already.
The third suggestion, it's a problem, because if you make a complex body where you have 3 points in a sharp edge, it will already points out and in the body. Basically, we can make it to turn all directions.
The first suggestion is the ideal setup for the skeletal system. The point of the skeleton is that it's inside the cell, and the membrane surrounds it.
The second was my fault, I didn't realize that it had already been implemented.
On the third- what I mean is, I'd like to have something like the positioning rings in spore where you could turn the outside organelle to any degree you like, rotating it around the point at which it's fixed to the membrane.

V 0.1.6 looks great, another solid step forward.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Quote :
Unfortunately I did nothing from the above... =(
The first suggestion, if going according that, you don't need the membrane, because think of complex skeleton, I thought of it, but it wouldn't work. (I also tried it or something similar,it resulted that it has TOO many overlaps)
The second suggestion, I don't understand it... Did you mean you can add points between points? If so, it's implemented in 1.5.1r1 already.
The third suggestion, it's a problem, because if you make a complex body where you have 3 points in a sharp edge, it will already points out and in the body. Basically, we can make it to turn all directions.
The first suggestion is the ideal setup for the skeletal system. The point of the skeleton is that it's inside the cell, and the membrane surrounds it.
The second was my fault, I didn't realize that it had already been implemented.
On the third- what I mean is, I'd like to have something like the positioning rings in spore where you could turn the outside organelle to any degree you like, rotating it around the point at which it's fixed to the membrane.

V 0.1.6 looks great, another solid step forward.

1. I understand, but it wouldn't work, it'll every time overlap the body, unless you'll be strict and you'll have less options to model your cell.
3. I understand, I know what you mean, but you said that won't point inside the body, but that's the problem, you can't make it in any way NOT pointing inside the body, or again, if you'll strict the ability putting the part anywhere.

Thanks.

And thanks untrustedlife and RodGame for your comments!

And about RodGame's suggestion, "horizontal part", I'll fix that. (I thought to fix it before even releasing the 1.5 version, but still didn't do it... =\)
And your 2nd suggestion, and what would I do if the player will delete 1 point? It's a little bit of a problem, I don't work the way you mentioned... I already thought of it, I'll try to implement it on the next version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Good and Bad news.   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 am

I have good and bad news.

New versions is out! V0.1.7

That were the good news, read the first post for changes and links.

The bad news, that version is probably my last release, because I don't have time working on it... I'm sorry, but in 2 weeks I'm going to army, so I'll have only 2 days to rest (weekends).
Please understand, but of course I'll keep following and watching the forums for any news. And if there'll be bugs, I'll try to fix them as fast as possible.

If you ask why I'm leaving now, when I have still 2 weeks left, is because I want to enjoy and rest that last 2 weeks.

Anyway, sorry for the bad news, but let's enjoy the good ones!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doggit
Regular


Posts : 444
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2012-04-28
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 am

FunnyGames wrote:
I have good and bad news.

New versions is out! V0.1.7

That were the good news, read the first post for changes and links.

The bad news, that version is probably my last release, because I don't have time working on it... I'm sorry, but in 2 weeks I'm going to army, so I'll have only 2 days to rest (weekends).
Please understand, but of course I'll keep following and watching the forums for any news. And if there'll be bugs, I'll try to fix them as fast as possible.

If you ask why I'm leaving now, when I have still 2 weeks left, is because I want to enjoy and rest that last 2 weeks.

Anyway, sorry for the bad news, but let's enjoy the good ones!

You do not work more with us?

_________________

My Themes: Here

You are a music composer and you can help us? Three simple rules:
1) Have or create a youtube channel
2) Publish the music on youtube (with a picture that relates to the song)
3) Publish it in the appropriate section of the forum.

Then I and Oliveriver will evaluate the song. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 am

I will, but I won't have time doing anything... So I'm not sure how much helping we can call it... =\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doggit
Regular


Posts : 444
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2012-04-28
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 am

FunnyGames wrote:
I will, but I won't have time doing anything... So I'm not sure how much helping we can call it... =\

There is no problem. Good job.

_________________

My Themes: Here

You are a music composer and you can help us? Three simple rules:
1) Have or create a youtube channel
2) Publish the music on youtube (with a picture that relates to the song)
3) Publish it in the appropriate section of the forum.

Then I and Oliveriver will evaluate the song. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 am

FunnyGames wrote:
I have good and bad news.

New versions is out! V0.1.7

That were the good news, read the first post for changes and links.

The bad news, that version is probably my last release, because I don't have time working on it... I'm sorry, but in 2 weeks I'm going to army, so I'll have only 2 days to rest (weekends).
Please understand, but of course I'll keep following and watching the forums for any news. And if there'll be bugs, I'll try to fix them as fast as possible.

If you ask why I'm leaving now, when I have still 2 weeks left, is because I want to enjoy and rest that last 2 weeks.

Anyway, sorry for the bad news, but let's enjoy the good ones!
These changes are excellent! I've just posted this on modDB for our fans to play with, and I think they're going to love it. I'm sorry to see that you won't be making any more of these prototypes, but I have to thank you for all of your hard work and wish you well in your future.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FunnyGames
Newcomer


Posts : 37
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-03-31
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 am

Thank you very much!

I'm not leaving you! All I said that I won't have enough time to make prototypes, I still will visit the website. And if I have free time, I'll try to add/fix new stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead


Posts : 321
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2013-01-06
Age : 17
Location : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 am

This new versions are exellent, and I wish you good luke' mate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8   Today at 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Microbe Editor prototype V0.1.8
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Prototypes-
Jump to: