Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Concept Animation

Go down 
+22
Cellular Dinosaur
WilliamstheJohn
Atrox
Immortal_Dragon
FalmerbloodElixir
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
untrustedlife
Gawbad
dinoman9877
PortalFan1000
WJacobC
Inca
Tarpy
Thriving Cheese
Daniferrito
Nimbal
NickTheNick
~sciocont
Tritium
Oliveriver
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 am

TheFellowWithTheHat wrote:
Oliveriver wrote:
TheFellowWithTheHat wrote:
You misinterpreted me, I do not want adorable Cells with huge eyes either, I was only saying that on the main website of Thrive, under the "Gallery," I saw a colorful but realistic representation of a cellular environment, I thought that was a very good idea.

I'm not sure what the final product is, I have limited knowledge of what it looks like now, but the point I'm trying to make is that even the tiniest things have colors, things see in Monochrome, Ultraviolet, and in Colors, the Universe has an unrelenting palette of colors that exist on every planet in every organism, including microbes.

Oh, sorry. :oops: 

The thing about microbes (and all organisms, to an extent) is that their colour affects how well they survive. Plants are specifically green because it allows them to make the most of yellow/white light. Microbes are the colours ~scio specified for usually the same reason. However, that does give me an idea - what if a cell's colour determined how much it could photosynthesise, and consequently how much ATP it could produce? Those that are the wrong colour to collect enough sunlight will die out, leaving only those that are the correct colours via natural selection.

I wonder why the pinkish flesh of humans keeps us alive, if someone is in the wild and they have their pinkish red or white or whatever color human skin is, they'll stick out like a sore thumb in a Rain forest.

I may have interpreted the "Oh, sorry" by mistake, thinking it was sarcasm, my apologies.

Will the skin colors of creatures also have some sort of effect on how well they may hide? If your cell is green and it is among green matter, is it hidden if it doesn't move?

According to a quick search, human skin pigmentation allows us to regulate the amount of UV radiation that enters our bodies. Skin colour correlates with the UV radiation of the region - those with lighter skin tend to live or have ancestry in higher latitudes where the sunlight is less intense.

Generally, the colour of organisms is not random - those with bright colours which may result in them being eaten are bright to attract mates. The payoff outweighs the risk.

And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if I came across that way. I'm just beginning to get annoyed that this thread has derailed so much.

EDIT: In an effort to keep this thread on topic and as an update to my progress, here's the latest frame of the animation:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 pm

beatifull.....i cant wait to see the final animation
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Looks excellent. This is really good and should help give the programmers a good idea of what it should look/play like.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
FalmerbloodElixir
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Looking good!

If the actual game looks even half that good, it'll be one of the more visually appealing games I've played.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

This is looking great. The only problems I see are in GUI design, which is a pretty minor complaint. The GUI in gameplay looks pretty good, if a bit large, except that the right side doesn't have a coherent shape and flow, and uses concave polygons. One of the rules of the "Shattered" design is that only convex polygons should be used. It leads to a more ordered final product.
I love the welcome text, very well written.

Obviously, I don't want you to drop everything and change this, I'm just voicing my thoughts here so they're known. Keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 4:46 am

Yes, the GUI does need a little work, although, like the editor concept, it is of course just a concept. It's going well so far, but it may take longer than I was hoping if I continue at the current rate.
Back to top Go down
TheFellowWithTheHat
Newcomer
TheFellowWithTheHat

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
According to a quick search, human skin pigmentation allows us to regulate the amount of UV radiation that enters our bodies. Skin colour correlates with the UV radiation of the region - those with lighter skin tend to live or have ancestry in higher latitudes where the sunlight is less intense.

Generally, the colour of organisms is not random - those with bright colours which may result in them being eaten are bright to attract mates. The payoff outweighs the risk.

And no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Sorry if I came across that way. I'm just beginning to get annoyed that this thread has derailed so much.

EDIT: In an effort to keep this thread on topic and as an update to my progress, here's the latest frame of the animation:

Spoiler:

Well, that's gorgeous. :shock: 

I'm loving how the animation is turning out to be, I can imagine this scene with the Microbe Stage theme playing in the background as ambiance as you have the (assuming there are any) sounds of the Cells wriggling around to move and eat bits of plant matter and other cells.

Ahh, evolution...
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Oliveriver wrote:

Spoiler:
This already looks far better than spore :lol: :P
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Thriving Cheese wrote:
Oliveriver wrote:

Spoiler:
This already looks far better than spore :lol::P

:lol!: 

I've been working on the animation some more, and have finally reached the first editor session:

Spoiler:

You'll see that I've made icons for each of the organelles:

Spoiler:

They are all made using two shades of an easily distinguishable colour with a simple icon inside. However, part of me thinks that they're far too bright or gaudy for use in Thrive. What does everyone else think, and, if necessary, what should I change them to?
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Looks excellent, but maybe just soften the colours a bit, not necessarily change them, like lower the opacity a tad.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I agree. Also try making them a bit darker.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:26 pm

You're correct in saying they're too bright. The shapes are all correct though. I imagined the tiles to be the actual ingame organelle shown with the hexgrid border around it. Somewhere down the line, I'd like to have organelles move around within their borders slightly to give the impression of a shifting internal environment.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm

(for me on my computer atleast)I can not really distinguish the icon of the mitochondria because it's to bright(IMO).
Otherwise it seems pretty good to me, maybe just a little bit darker on the other ones too (except for the agent vacuole wich's already relativly dark).

So far, nice job Oliver
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:26 am

I'll replace what I can with the actual organelles models. Could someone give me a link to them as 2D images?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 am

Thriving Cheese should have the download links to all of them. They could then be converted into 2D images.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 am

Oliveriver wrote:
I'll replace what I can with the actual organelles models. Could someone give me a link to them as 2D images?
I'll do it.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks, Cheese. :) 

With the organelle models I've already got, here's an updated editor screenshot:

Spoiler:

EDIT: And another:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Wow, that's lookin' great Oliver.
Back to top Go down
Atrox
Newcomer
Atrox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm

That looks awesome
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 pm

These are some cool microbe editor concepts!
Back to top Go down
Cellular Dinosaur
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Wow, if only I could actually draw stuff well...
Back to top Go down
LegoHoss
Newcomer
LegoHoss

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Things are looking great! I like the concept of adding the organs like that and shaping it so. One question though. Is there any more musical concepts for the microbe stage that's needed? I can get another in so the programmers can easily put that in before it's theoretically finished. Sorry if this is a bit out of place, but I thought it was a good time to ask.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
Thanks, Cheese. :) 

With the organelle models I've already got, here's an updated editor screenshot:

Spoiler:

EDIT: And another:

Spoiler:
That just looks so awesome Oliver, can't wait to see the finished animation :D 

Just a little note: that blue thing your using as a Mitochondria's actually not a Mitochondria, but a 'film layer bacteria'.

Last edited by Thriving Cheese on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 2:49 am

@LegoHoss
Although we probably have enough microbe stage music now, it won't hurt if you compose more. There are three types of microbe theme - loading screen, editor and gameplay. Choose one of these to compose a theme for.

@Thriving Cheese
Oops. :oops: 
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 am

So is the cell supposed to be grown in a hexagon format, and it's translated into a realistic shape?

When did Civ 5 become part of the equation?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Concept Animation   Microbe Stage Concept Animation - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Concept Animation
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next