Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Main Theme Organisation Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Main Theme Organisation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

Main Theme Organisation Empty
PostSubject: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 am

As suggested on the Music List Thread, I'm going to have a go at composing a further iteration of the Main Theme, but instead of just being a solo project it will be a collaborative effort, involving any members of the team who can compose music. The Main Theme is by definition the most important theme in the entire game, so naturally it needs the most work to perfect.

Currently, I have the Main Theme v6 as a .cpr file in Cubase AI6. Unless anyone else has a program which can work with .cpr files, I'll have to put everything together. I suggest we add new sections to it and new instruments/motifs over the top of existing sections rather than starting over again. Anyone who wants to help can either send me an audio file which fits the requirements I'll go into later (providing they have a connection with me such as Skype which allows files to be sent) or, preferably, create sheet music of their section/motif, take a screenshot of it and post it to this thread. If you are going to create sheet music, I recommend a free program called MuseScore: http://musescore.org/

To prevent everything from going pear-shaped with unrelated, dissonant passages, here are some requirements for your section/motif:

Spoiler:

If you have any suggestions for where your section/motif could be placed within the piece, don't hesitate to tell me. Ideally, we should end up with something which goes from ambient to fully orchestral. However, it's possible that we could end up going over the top with new passages, turning the theme into a bit of a mess with so many different parts. But there's no reason we can't try, right?

Last edited by Oliveriver on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm

This is a good idea, Oliver. I remember you sending me the sheet music at some point, so I'll take a look at playing and recording some of it on piano and maybe even guitar this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
LIonGraphiK
Newcomer
LIonGraphiK

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 5:56 pm

I am glad a post has been made on it!! I've also got my copy of Sibelius and a nifty midi keyboard to mess around with, sheet music will be useful to eliminate clear error and to evaluate/analyse which themes work where and whether or not the piece flows.

Just a thought; could we perhaps have some light dissonance on those F minor choirds? To me, although the piece is ambient, I feel that fminor chord should grow each time (like in evolution, the chord evolves, expanding with notes.) So...

F3 C4 (left hand)   F4, G4, Ab5 (right hand) with certain synthesised sounds- it could work really nicely, if the 'G' is slightly quieter (or if it just works leave it be); it creates that feeling of tension, which is the gravity and forces of Space. (Dissonant harmonic motif on the F minor chord resolving itself?) It would really compliment the add9th, as we go 'tension', 'resolve' etc. And then put the dissonance on different chords later on (to convey evolution? Expand the dissonant theme slightly by having more dissonance..? The light dissonance should remain diatonic to really get that beautiful sound with the waves bouncing off each other. later, pulling away from the dissonance and having more of these 7th chords and just stacking thirds rather and pushing the original dissonant notes an octave out, really playing with that ' harmonic motif'.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 am

I think I understood all that.

The best place for that sort of ambient synthesized style would be at the start, before even the strings come in. I like your idea of having the chords 'evolve', but of course we won't be able to do that all the way through. I've actually been fiddling around with the Main Theme for the last hour or so, and I've added in a completely new section, making it almost two minutes longer.

@Jacob
I can also record some piano parts if need be - at the moment they feel a little mechanical being played in strict time by the computer, so adding some human-played instruments might make it feel a little more natural. A guitar would certainly be good to fit in somewhere as well. Tell me if you want me to write a part for it or whether you'll write it yourself.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I would be very interested to hear what the combined music team could compose.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I would be very interested to hear what the combined music team could compose.

Unfortunately it may be a while before that, as Doggit's currently busy and LIonGraphiK seems to have disappeared.

Also, I think I mis-clicked and accidentally thanked you instead of quoting you.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Don't worry, you need not apologize for thanking me.
Back to top Go down
LIonGraphiK
Newcomer
LIonGraphiK

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm still here!! But, I'm also going to be away for another 4 days as I'm going to Oxford. I've just been rustling up a few ideas for the main theme and accidentally made a separate construct theme. It should be in the themes topic, feel free to check it out!
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 am

Since LIonGraphiK and Doggit aren't here at the moment, but I want to keep progress on the Main Theme going, is anyone able to play and record an instrument? Jacob's said he'll record himself playing the guitar, and I can record any piano parts, but it would be great if others wat to get involved too. Tell me if you can, and I'll PM you the score for a part for you to play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Theme Organisation   Main Theme Organisation Empty

Back to top Go down

Main Theme Organisation
Page 1 of 1