Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Bacteria Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Bacteria Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Bacteria Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Bacteria Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Bacteria Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Bacteria Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Bacteria Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Bacteria Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Bacteria Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Bacteria Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Bacteria Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Bacteria Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Bacteria Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Bacteria Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Bacteria Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Bacteria Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Bacteria Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Bacteria Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Bacteria Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Bacteria Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Bacteria

Go down 
+4
US_of_Alaska
GamerXA
~sciocont
The Uteen
8 posters

Bacteria?
Yes
Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c80%Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 80% [ 4 ]
No
Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c0%Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 0% [ 0 ]
Other (post)
Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c20%Bacteria Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Bacteria.
Will bacteria exist and evolve in the creature era? I say yes!

Importance:
Deseases and evolution of deseases.
Above creates the possibility of mass extinctions by plague.
Bacteria on corpses mean the corpse could be bad to eat, causing evolved instincts not to eat rotting corpses.
Above means the strategy of playing dead works.
Also means certain organisms, such as flies, could evolve resistance and possibly a relationship beneficial to both organisms, such as: Fly thing eats dead thing. Fly thing excretes waste products. Bacteria eats waste.

The problem is programming organisms which are microscopic and number in, well, trillions?

One solution is that they could be done as a huge cloud surrounding the planet, higher intensity around dead corpses, ill organisms etc. and lower in places such as lifeless deserts.

So, what do you all think?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Bacteria should pop up randomly. Certain creatures could have higher resistances, etc. This could work for viruses and other diseases as well.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm

I believe we should take the approach where the bacteria are separate, evolving Organisms. Microbes will have to be treated differently than macroscopic Organisms.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:36 pm

GamerXA wrote:
I believe we should take the approach where the bacteria are separate, evolving Organisms. Microbes will have to be treated differently than macroscopic Organisms.
I think for the sake of complexity Bacteria should simply pop up randomly to do good or evil on the macro scale.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 pm

I think that after becoming a macro organism (ie, not a microbe), then bacteria and viruses should simply be done via calculations. A random event would trigger a colony of bacteria or viruses somewhere, and then the game could randomly decide what traits it has (bacterial and viral traits will need to be discussed for this to work). After that, the colony would be handled as a single object, with calculations to figure out how many die or survive or get inside organisms. Then, if an organism is infected in close proximity to the player (close enough to be loaded fully), it would gain a value saying what kind of bacteria/virus it had. If it then left the proximity, the species as a whole would gain a value for what bacteria/virus they had, and how many of them are infected. Then more calculations would occur every few minutes to see how many more the bacteria/virus had spread to. If an infected species entered the proximity zone, then whether or not the individual organisms are infected could be calculated with a random chance multiplied by the infection percentage.

Did any of that make any sense?
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 7:50 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think that after becoming a macro organism (ie, not a microbe), then bacteria and viruses should simply be done via calculations. A random event would trigger a colony of bacteria or viruses somewhere, and then the game could randomly decide what traits it has (bacterial and viral traits will need to be discussed for this to work). After that, the colony would be handled as a single object, with calculations to figure out how many die or survive or get inside organisms. Then, if an organism is infected in close proximity to the player (close enough to be loaded fully), it would gain a value saying what kind of bacteria/virus it had. If it then left the proximity, the species as a whole would gain a value for what bacteria/virus they had, and how many of them are infected. Then more calculations would occur every few minutes to see how many more the bacteria/virus had spread to. If an infected species entered the proximity zone, then whether or not the individual organisms are infected could be calculated with a random chance multiplied by the infection percentage.

I love you

Yes, in the interest of not speed, we cannot simulate trillions of microscopic organisms. We could get quite detailed with how orgnanisms spread, and weither they survive in certain conditions (i.e. an extremely cold environment would decay bodies slower than a temperate one) but yes, it would have to be in some for of script, as we don't all have supercomputers.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 am

The Uteen wrote:
Bacteria on corpses mean the corpse could be bad to eat, causing evolved instincts not to eat rotting corpses.
Above means the strategy of playing dead works.
Also means certain organisms, such as flies, could evolve resistance and possibly a relationship beneficial to both organisms, such as: Fly thing eats dead thing. Fly thing excretes waste products. Bacteria eats waste.

I'm not sure this is being considered with these ideas, (Resistance and bacteria eating corpses)

I'm not sure about the events making colonies with ranom traits, as bacteria should evolve to get better at populating inside organisms while producing symptoms to get the creature killed so it cannot resist, and so organisms evolve to stop them. Random traits mean the bacteria either are or are not good enough, while evolution means there is a constant battle for survival.

And we want to be able to give the realistic impression of bacteria without making trillions simulted. So...

Using the idea of one area of the planet loaded at one time, I think the area should have, let's say, invisible multicoloured fog, red for cold, yellow for cough, and so on (obviously colours won't be used). In most areas, the red fog is very pale, but around an infected organism, it is denser. Every time a new organism enters the area being loaded, using such things as the effectiveness of the organisms immune system, and the average density of the species of bacteria, the chance of the organism having each one of the possible deseases is calculated. The chance is then used to determine whether the organism is infected by each desease (basically a dice is rolled for each desease possible to occur). If the organism has a desease, the invisible fog will be denser around it.

Now, the chance of infection occuring to the players organism, and those near it being simulated, is determined in a very simular way, so each second/minuite the dice is rolled. The chance of an infection occuring would be so low infection would not occur very much.

But the 'ambient' density of a areas can range, depending on what suites the bacteria best. For example, at a temperature too hot/cold the density would be lower. at the perfect temperature it would be at its highest.

Thanks for reading (If you read this, you must read it all again)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I love you

Yes, in the interest of not speed, we cannot simulate trillions of microscopic organisms. We could get quite detailed with how orgnanisms spread, and weither they survive in certain conditions (i.e. an extremely cold environment would decay bodies slower than a temperate one) but yes, it would have to be in some for of script, as we don't all have supercomputers.
i support this. It is simple, sraightforward, and should not be too hard to implement.

Uteen, what you are describing is basically the system Alaska described, but a little more complex, and it's not running in the background. Infections can simply be random in the game. I doubt many players will care whether what they caught has a name or not, they only care if it's going to kill them. With Alasks's system we can quickly figure out what damage the disease will do and it will take up virtually no processing power, since the script could be very simple and it only runs every few minutes.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Bashinerox wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

I love you

I also support this. It uses almost no processing power and disease/bacteria is a major part of the ecosystem. I definately support this.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Uteen, change the poll to Alaska's method, and other, please.
Back to top Go down
fungus3

fungus3

Location : See that mold on your bread? That's what I thought...

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Microbial sentience   Bacteria EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 4:10 pm

I also have an idea for sentience at a microbial level. How would microbial sentience play out? :?: 

You could control sapient hordes of bacteria that can communicate with macroscopic organisms, and may even develop technology of their own...

So, how would a civilization of bacteria play out?
Back to top Go down
spacetime_dinosaur
Newcomer
spacetime_dinosaur

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 5:17 pm

fungus3 wrote:
I also have an idea for sentience at a microbial level. How would microbial sentience play out? Question

You could control sapient hordes of bacteria that can communicate with macroscopic organisms, and may even develop technology of their own...

So, how would a civilization of bacteria play out? :scratch: 
this was three years ago, check what the date is to avoid necroposts.

also i don't think that may be possible other than counting as a gelatinous blob with a brain, or a colony of multicellular creatures like ants, but smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bacteria   Bacteria Empty

Back to top Go down

Bacteria
Page 1 of 1