Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Alternate scheme of modes Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Alternate scheme of modes

Go down 
+5
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
YourBreakfast
eumesmo
roadkillguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

Alternate scheme of modes Empty
PostSubject: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Here's a proposal.

You have the species you created no?

There are other species/continents/races no?

Well, I think we should be able to switch sides at any time.

For example, if you want one species to do a certain thing, simply switch sides and do it!

I realize this is the equivalent of a diminished god mode, but I think it would be a lot more fun.

Also, what exactly are the limitations of org mode? While I realize eating squiddies at a pentagonal table with your three parents through your bellybutton would be nothing but EPIC, it's close to the speed of light (If you know what I mean).
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:24 pm

maybe you in the town's market buying purple fruits....
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:42 pm

When you unlock god mode, you will be able to do this. This was decided a long time ago.

On the issue of Org mode, multiple threads have been created regarding the issue. We've covered that you're able to enter buildings if you make an interior to it but not really much has been put forward to it.

I was inevitably going to make a thread about it. Might aswell make one now...
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:29 pm

When you unlock a certain god power, you will be able to jump factions, species, etc.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 7:21 pm

But entering buildings.. and doing everything we do.. that's just...

Imagine going to school or whatever it's called based on the language. Would you learn math based on procedurally generated species knowledge of math? Would you take tests? Would you get so bored at school you come home and program computers? Would there be computer generated symbols? Would you learn about your species concept of atoms?

Would you be able to live in a house? Would you do the dishes? Would you work on your car? Would you go into space? (This is, of course, acceptable in the space stage) Would you be able to fight with your neighbors?

There has to be some sort of limit.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 7:29 pm

entering and bieng in buildings is one thing, having interactions with the inside objects is another
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Either way, It's still drawn on the screen.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
We were thinking at one point just to have furniture added in procedurally according to the species' structure. I guess things like dishwashers, ovens, baths and computers could be triggered at certain technology points if we decide to include them. But no interaction. That would be asking too much. If you did choose to lead a civilian life in Org Mode, you'd probably just walk around the cities and interact with others.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 10:30 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
We were thinking at one point just to have furniture added in procedurally according to the species' structure. I guess things like dishwashers, ovens, baths and computers could be triggered at certain technology points if we decide to include them. But no interaction. That would be asking too much. If you did choose to lead a civilian life in Org Mode, you'd probably just walk around the cities and interact with others.

So... these would look like what? I mean, stoves and computers- these will look totally different on an alien world..
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 10:36 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:

So... these would look like what? I mean, stoves and computers- these will look totally different on an alien world..
Would thing that they don't need to fit into really look any different? I mean, generally these objects are made to be efficient, not in any certain shape.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Hotplates are generally round because it's an efficient design and does not need any more material than necessary, the things that go on top too, are round for a similar reason. Ovens would generally be a similar shape as to what we have today, because what overall general shape could an oven be to still be an oven. It has to have a closed in area with heating filament and some sort of shelving type structure for efficiency.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:02 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Hotplates are generally round because it's an efficient design and does not need any more material than necessary, the things that go on top too, are round for a similar reason. Ovens would generally be a similar shape as to what we have today, because what overall general shape could an oven be to still be an oven. It has to have a closed in area with heating filament and some sort of shelving type structure for efficiency.
Exactly. Technologies that do not rely on the structure of the organism will be similar.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:50 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
Exactly. Technologies that do not rely on the structure of the organism will be similar.

Okay, but not the same. How do we determine what objects will look like?
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:55 pm

We could create generalized parts such as handles, buttons or levers of a few varieties that are constant depending on the structure of the hands of the organism, these would then be used in the tech object that represents the oven, microwave or any other object.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 am

I'd imagine Org Mode in the Society Stages would act sort of like being a sim in Sim City. I don't really know about tht game much, (all I know is that you could follow what he was doing), but the player would be able to influence his job path, where he lives, where to go and control most techs. Being able to interact with EVERY SINGLE THING in the game is too much.
Anyone else agree?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 am

But why go in buildings if you can't interact with anything? Seems a waste of time putting it in without interaction...
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:57 am

Yeah.. it's just like sims at that point. I think you shouldn't be able to go into org mode during the civ stage. In space, I think you should be able to go into org mode, in which case you would fly a spaceship.

I believe if someone wants to write an extension for civ org mode, they can.

That's just me.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 1:04 pm

You forgot the military. Ordering several divisons into battle and then taking control of one of it's members, that's what it might be good for.

Honestly, I fail to see how to reasonably simulate civilian simulation without implementing practically everything.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

Honestly, I fail to see how to reasonably simulate civilian simulation without implementing practically everything.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
You forgot the military. Ordering several divisons into battle and then taking control of one of it's members, that's what it might be good for.

You're not expecting us to be able to sit down on our couch we made in the TE and watch our favourite program on our TE-made television are you? That would need another game to be made entirely!

Civilian simulation can be done, but we do need limits. We could go into buildings and maybe 'eat or 'sleep' or something, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:01 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
You're not expecting us to be able to sit down on our couch we made in the TE and watch our favourite program on our TE-made television are you?

No, I'm not.

YourBreakfast wrote:
Civilian simulation can be done, but we do need limits. We could go into buildings and maybe 'eat or 'sleep' or something, but that's about it.

Good point. We should provide only very basic functionality, and let the rest be supplied by modders.
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

YourBreakfast wrote:

Good point. We should provide only very basic functionality, and let the rest be supplied by modders.

Precisely.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 4:38 pm

maybe this civilian part should only be done after the main things are since it's a extra thing
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 pm

eumesmo wrote:
maybe this civilian part should only be done after the main things are since it's a extra thing

That's what I was saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternate scheme of modes   Alternate scheme of modes Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternate scheme of modes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes-
Jump to: