Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Fine Manipulation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Fine Manipulation Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Fine Manipulation Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Fine Manipulation Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Fine Manipulation Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Fine Manipulation Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Fine Manipulation Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Fine Manipulation Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Fine Manipulation Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Fine Manipulation Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Fine Manipulation Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Fine Manipulation Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Fine Manipulation Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Fine Manipulation Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Fine Manipulation Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Fine Manipulation

Go down 
+3
GamerXA
Noitulove
Tenebrarum
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 10:01 am

So, alot of the game world will have things that the player will want to do that's simply impossible to design into the game system. So here's my thought: have a button that let's the player treat their organism as a manican(sp?) as in the tech editor. Then, plot a course for the different limbs. Press the button again and the critter will attempt to complete the course set out for them. This will be great for everything from playing a game-generated board game to climbing a rock-face.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
So, alot of the game world will have things that the player will want to do that's simply impossible to design into the game system. So here's my thought: have a button that let's the player treat their organism as a manican(sp?) as in the tech editor. Then, plot a course for the different limbs. Press the button again and the critter will attempt to complete the course set out for them. This will be great for everything from playing a game-generated board game to climbing a rock-face.

So... I didn't really get that much of it, but you mean pressing a key = doing stuff, especially climbing?

It's good but of course surfaces may vary, and your creature might lose a grip on one. Or you could go through a long, time-consuming, painstaking process of making many, many courses. But I think that might be our job rather than the player's.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 pm

It does seem overly time consuming and tedious for Casual Players and most Hard-Core Players too.

And aren't we already using the Mannequin idea in the tech editor already. The player should only really have to place the Organism in the tech and then the computer fills in the controls and behaviour with the tech's.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 10:34 pm

GamerXA wrote:
It does seem overly time consuming and tedious for Casual Players and most Hard-Core Players too.

And aren't we already using the Mannequin idea in the tech editor already. The player should only really have to place the Organism in the tech and then the computer fills in the controls and behaviour with the tech's.

It seems tedious, but in comparison to say, making a shelter without the TE (Awakening) the whole thing comes into veiw for me.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 am

It really wouldn't be too hard to do if we have decent controls. An option to "grab" and "place on top of" will sort out most options for pre-TE construction.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:23 pm

The point of this is FINE manipulation, say, weaving grasses together to make a reed mat for the hut. The itty-bitty things that 'grab' is too coarse for.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
The point of this is FINE manipulation, say, weaving grasses together to make a reed mat for the hut. The itty-bitty things that 'grab' is too coarse for.
Well, i don't think this should be possible until you've discovered the research "Weaving", and you'll therefore already have the TE.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 5:05 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Well, i don't think this should be possible until you've discovered the research "Weaving", and you'll therefore already have the TE.
Basic weaving is done by certain apes. I assumed weaving in the research meant hand-loom.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Basic weaving is done by certain apes. I assumed weaving in the research meant hand-loom.
Well if it's possible, then i guess we'll just have to have a click-option for "Weave" or "Join" or something. Because your suggestion is simply too fiddly and annoying for most players.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Again, this is more than just a needlessly roundabout solution. It's a way for players to solve problems that would otherwise be unsolovable due to control limitations.

Let's say I want to dig a hole. The standard dig action uses my front limbs. I realize that my critter has tusks that would be great for digging. With Fine Maniulation, I can tell him to dig with his tusks. Without it, either I deal with the ineffciency, or the dev team comes up with a comlicated and buggy system to try and get the game to analyze the best way to dig, on top of the complicated procedurals we're already working with.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Again, this is more than just a needlessly roundabout solution. It's a way for players to solve problems that would otherwise be unsolovable due to control limitations.

Let's say I want to dig a hole. The standard dig action uses my front limbs. I realize that my critter has tusks that would be great for digging. With Fine Maniulation, I can tell him to dig with his tusks. Without it, either I deal with the ineffciency, or the dev team comes up with a comlicated and buggy system to try and get the game to analyze the best way to dig, on top of the complicated procedurals we're already working with.
like this idea. fine manipulation could put you in a third person view of your creature where you could drag body parts around, as long as you obey the restraints of physics and your creature's own body.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:25 am

I still think it is a huge ask to get the player to create animations for his species to perform and get the programmers to make the game understand what is happening in the fine manipulation. For instance, if you make a digging animation and call it "Dig with Tusks", how does the game know to displace dirt? The physics will surely not be that advanced.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:48 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I still think it is a huge ask to get the player to create animations for his species to perform and get the programmers to make the game understand what is happening in the fine manipulation. For instance, if you make a digging animation and call it "Dig with Tusks", how does the game know to displace dirt? The physics will surely not be that advanced.

Good point, that was a bad example. This would function as a way to get critters to do things that they should be able to, but can't due to controls. Pushing with your mouth instead of limbs, whacking an egg out of a tree with your tail, kicking something, that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Good point, that was a bad example. This would function as a way to get critters to do things that they should be able to, but can't due to controls. Pushing with your mouth instead of limbs, whacking an egg out of a tree with your tail, kicking something, that sort of thing.
I hate to be a pessimist, but you still haven't explained how the game will know what each action actually does to the environment around it.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Has anyone ever played Toribash. In it the Player modified which muscles were activated in order to control the Avatar and do battle with another, some complex moves were resulting (both fight and dance moves).

Thrive would only need to simulate about 1 Meter (Relative to Size) Radius around the Player.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:15 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Has anyone ever played Toribash. In it the Player modified which muscles were activated in order to control the Avatar and do battle with another, some complex moves were resulting (both fight and dance moves).

Thrive would only need to simulate about 1 Meter (Relative to Size) Radius around the Player.
I hate to be a pessimist, but you still haven't explained how the game will know what each action actually does to the environment around it.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:47 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Physics. The game would calculate the organism as a physics object when in Fine Manipulation mode. It would calculate the result and then play the action.
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:25 pm

i agree with USA... it would be a very cool feature, but it seems like in-game scripting would have to happen for the game to finally know what you are trying to do. and it would be even harder for the game to know exactly when is the opportune time to do it automatically with other organisms.

examples - set a rock in front of a wall to climb onto it, stand on a building and drop a rock onto a clam-like thing, etc.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:56 pm

toxiciron wrote:
i agree with USA... it would be a very cool feature, but it seems like in-game scripting would have to happen for the game to finally know what you are trying to do. and it would be even harder for the game to know exactly when is the opportune time to do it automatically with other organisms.

examples - set a rock in front of a wall to climb onto it, stand on a building and drop a rock onto a clam-like thing, etc.

The game doesn't need to know what we're trying to do, it merely needs to understand physics and calculate the organism as a complex physics object for the duration of the manipulation. Other critters wouldn't pick up on it. This doesn't act as one of the actions that affects auto-evo or intelligence.
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 pm

okay, i see what you're sayin.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:05 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
toxiciron wrote:

The game doesn't need to know what we're trying to do, it merely needs to understand physics and calculate the organism as a complex physics object for the duration of the manipulation. Other critters wouldn't pick up on it. This doesn't act as one of the actions that affects auto-evo or intelligence.
That sounds a little better. I'll only be convinced when i see it working in-game, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 am

GamerXA wrote:

Heard about it, but seemed too complex to play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fine Manipulation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fine Manipulation   Fine Manipulation Empty

Back to top Go down

Fine Manipulation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes :: Organism-
Jump to: