Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Complex Damage System Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Complex Damage System Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Complex Damage System Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Complex Damage System Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Complex Damage System Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Complex Damage System Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Complex Damage System Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Complex Damage System Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Complex Damage System Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Complex Damage System Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Complex Damage System Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Complex Damage System Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Complex Damage System Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Complex Damage System Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Complex Damage System Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Complex Damage System Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Complex Damage System Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Complex Damage System Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Complex Damage System Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Complex Damage System Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Complex Damage System

Go down 
+14
BastianKraft
Pyrotin
Poisson
Waap
Invader
Djohaal
andry796
Noitulove
Albalrogue
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Commander Keen
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Complex Damage System Empty
PostSubject: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Recently, there was a discussion over the HUD how health should be shown. This has pointed to we haven't discussed and settled damage yet. I still remember the old concept fairly good, so I'l try to recreate it here.

Basically, each organism or TO would have it's own damage system. These damage systems would consist of parts of the object (such as limbs and organs for living things or FPs for Tech objects). If a player controls a TO or organism, a window with a wireframe is shown, displaying the current condition of each part of the controlled object.

Each part can have one of five statuses:

Nominal (0% - 10% damage): Part functions normally, no visible traces of damage
Light damage (10% - 25%): Part effectiveness slightly below 100%, rare traces of damage
Moderate damage (25% - 45%): Part effectiveness lowered, visible traces of damage
Heavy damage (45% - 70%): Part effectivenes highly reduces, serious traces of damage
Critical damage (70% - 99%): Part effectiveness almost zero, using it can damage the part even more
Destroyed (100%): Part either torn off or crippled, can't be regenerated or repaired, must be replaced

The player can change among several views in the window, or even select a simplified rotating 3d mesh of the controlled object.

Any suggestions and criticisms are welcome.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm completely happy with a complex damage system, as long as Bashi says it's feasible.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm wondering if this is a bit too complex- when exactly will you need to know that your left leg has moderate damage, and what (as an organism) are you supposed to do about it? As an organism that isn't sapient, all you can do is rest, so your recouperation for all injuries is the same, which begs the question: why differentiate between them?

if we decide that we do need a complex damage system, that's fine, but I'd rather not have it on my screen at all times. I'd say bring up the wireframe only if you click on your basic damage bar.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 8:15 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I'm wondering if this is a bit too complex- when exactly will you need to know that your left leg has moderate damage, and what (as an organism) are you supposed to do about it? As an organism that isn't sapient, all you can do is rest, so your recouperation for all injuries is the same, which begs the question: why differentiate between them?

if we decide that we do need a complex damage system, that's fine, but I'd rather not have it on my screen at all times. I'd say bring up the wireframe only if you click on your basic damage bar.
I was under the impression that's how it would work. You'd have an overview of how badly you are affected by your injuries (limb and organ damage would redden the bar more than a bruised back), and then clicking the bar would give you a more in-depth view of what's wrong and what you need to avoid doing. Say, if i had a bad leg, i wouldn't run to a known safe place to rest, whereas if i had a gash in my gut i might risk it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 am

~sciocont wrote:
when exactly will you need to know that your left leg has moderate damage, and what (as an organism) are you supposed to do about it? As an organism that isn't sapient, all you can do is rest, so your recouperation for all injuries is the same, which begs the question: why differentiate between them?

It's how it affects the organism that makes it special. A crippled leg makes you slow, so you are easy prey for predators. Brain concussion would make you "dizzy" by blurring the view, etc.
Also don't forget that it remains after you have Strategy mode, when you can do something different than resting.

~sciocont wrote:

It's a good idea to have it togglable.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:43 pm

I agree. Click the basic indicator to see the complex damage system.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I like everything stated here so far.

How about, to save our computers, the more distant the organism, the more simplified the damage? It'd be just like the simiplification of their models through distance.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Quote :
How about, to save our computers, the more distant the organism, the more simplified the damage? It'd be just like the simiplification of their models through distance.

Well, the damage model itself can't be simplified by distance, but damage distribution can. Instead of exactly calculating the part hit, we can just take a rough calculation by position, and do the rest by random. I'm not exactly sure how much it would help though...

Now, the only problem I see is how to make the simple health indicator work properly. It should be predictable by players (we don't want it to jump around like crazy) and should also display accurate informations (nothing upsets more than dying with healthbar still being one half full).

Simply averaging the health doesn't work, and taking minimal values doesn't work too. Looks like each part will have it's own value and will be calculated indenpedently (man, that will be a long algorithm...) .
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 am

Commander Keen wrote:
(nothing upsets more than dying with healthbar still being one half full)

Health bar? Isn't it a colour?

To be honest, if we just have a colour, I'd be more happy to see a colour change from green to orange suddenly than full bar to quarter bar. Colours are vague enough to get away with it, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 pm

I like the click-to-bring-up-complex-damage system.

Currently, our healthbar isn't a bar, it's more like a light- it gets more intense the more hurt you are.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 am

~sciocont wrote:

Currently, our healthbar isn't a bar, it's more like a light- it gets more intense the more hurt you are.
The more hurt you are? I thought it would be lighter the healthier you are...
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Well, if we are having a red light, then more intense = more hurt.
If we are having a green light, then more intense - more healthy.

Which colour are we thinking of having?
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am

The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Red would be the logical choise. You won't be able to make the difference between the bright green and the transparent green easily. Where as red is quite flashy and will bring you're attetion to it, which is what we wan't since you're organism is hurt.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Red would be the logical choise. You won't be able to make the difference between the bright green and the transparent green easily. Where as red is quite flashy and will bring you're attetion to it, which is what we wan't since you're organism is hurt.
It will be red.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 am

~sciocont wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

It will be red.

I'm thinking red, that turns into a sort of reddish-orange, fading into a bright orange in the middle. Although, that orange is just for a visual "glowing" sort of effect. And along with the color red sort of spilling out of the crystal/button/whatever thing, this should be enough to signify that it is glowing and that your organism needs something. Now.

And, of course, all colors will become increasingly high-contrast as your needs get higher and higher, to, much like in reality, become distracting at a point, and you will be automatically driven to, say, the refrigerator, and no matter how hard you try you won't be able to head back to the office chair to finish writing your documents before they're due. But I think someone said it's only if you had writers' block and just sat there doing nothing but letting your stomach rumble, for a few minutes, before this happens. I'm confused..

Goodness Belgium! I'm explaining this like I invented it. I guess I should stop about now? Yes? Okay, good.

But the problem with the color red being applied to all the instinct bars when they reach the highest (or lowest?) point, you won't be able to tell them apart. See, in reality you can easily tell hunger from fatigue. It'd be odd to confuse them.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 am

Please, if you want to discuss color of instinct bars, continue it in the GUI thread.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you Keen.

Now, back on topic.

It seems my simplifying system is out then? Okay, I get the issues. Still, how will we deal with, say, epic strat. mode battles with thousands of troops involved? Most games I know of either use very simple hit point systems in those cases, or have one soldier represent many.

Back off topic again, I want to make a thread about stealth/camo/AI responses/relationship with sensors/etc. Where would it go?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
It seems my simplifying system is out then? Okay, I get the issues. Still, how will we deal with, say, epic strat. mode battles with thousands of troops involved? Most games I know of either use very simple hit point systems in those cases, or have one soldier represent many.

If the object is small/zoomed out enough, we could deal the damage randomly. Players aren't going to see it, and it's certainly CPU cheaper than raytracing everything.

Tenebrarum wrote:
Back off topic again, I want to make a thread about stealth/camo/AI responses/relationship with sensors/etc. Where would it go?

I think you should put it either into Org. mode or Strategy mode section.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

If the object is small/zoomed out enough, we could deal the damage randomly. Players aren't going to see it, and it's certainly CPU cheaper than raytracing everything.

Tenebrarum wrote:

I think you should put it either into Org. mode or Strategy mode section.
I think we should restrict the camera in strat mode to a certain level of zoom. That would allow Keen's random system to work and simplify a lot depending on our LOD system.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I think we should restrict the camera in strat mode to a certain level of zoom. That would allow Keen's random system to work and simplify a lot depending on our LOD system.
:s

No thanks. How about we just stick to the random system in strat. mode?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

~sciocont wrote:

That could work, but I found myself zooming nearly into third person third of my game time in most RTS games, watching the fight closely while still maintaining situational awareness.

Quote :

I think Scio meant we would limit zooming in order to be able to apply random damage to every unit.

By the way, wait a day or two and I'll show you a game with complex non-random damage, lots of units and unlimited zooming.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
:s

That's what I was suggesting.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:29 pm

~sciocont wrote:
That's what I was suggesting.

You also suggested limited zoom.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
By the way, wait a day or two and I'll show you a game with complex non-random damage, lots of units and unlimited zooming.

I don't think limiting zoom will be needed.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

I don't think limiting zoom will be needed.
I think it may, considering how many polygons we could potentially have on screen, zooming in only to a point where lod simplifies things only slightly would be a very helpful thing.

For instance, lets say you have a creature- that creature is 2000 polys (not an unrealistic estimate, they pile up quickly)

Lets say you add clothing- another 500 polys. That's 2500 poly. Then add a weapon, maybe 150 polys.

This is your soldier- 2650 polygons.
If you have a group of 50 soldiers, that's 132,500 polygons. Now add in their environment (let's say 500,000 polygons, considering they could be in a city)
632,500 polys. not good for gameplay.

Now lets say we reduce complxity by just 25% 474375
polygons. still a lot, but under the half million mark. Drastic reductrion in number while still keeping 75% of the total complexity and allowing the game to run a lot faster.

If we stick trat mode zoom to a level where detail is reduced by 75%, we could save a lot of headaches with processing power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System Empty

Back to top Go down

Complex Damage System
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next