Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Empty
PostSubject: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Okay, Chemosynthesis is similar to Photosynthesis, except instead of using the sun's energy to make sugars, bacteria use chemicals (and sometimes large heat sources) to create their own fuel. This exists on earth, in deep sea trenches and the like, in bacteria. It might also be feasible for multi-cellulars, leading to a different classification of "plant," which would not look anything like our usual trees, grass, etc, as it would be designed to capture chemicals, not light.
Thermosynthesis is theoretical, but involves the production of sugars, proteins etc. using the energy from heat. However, it throws in jargon such as "reverse entropy," and basically involves the creation of order out of disorder. I need to look up more about it, and not just on wikipedia.
But the question is - Okay, the question is open here. If we put this in the game, what do we do with the suckers? It's beyond what most people know about evolution. However, it would be hideous fun.
So, anyone with ideas (or links) on a new type of autotroph to supplement our plants and algae can post here.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Well, there are only so many kinds of energy. So far this covers Electro-Magnetic, Chemical, and Thermal. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the only forms of passive energy out there. I have trouble imagining an organism that lives off of say, kinetic energy.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 pm

@Rex-
Kinetic energy is just energy inmotion. If it's not stored energy, it's kinetic.

Basically, we need to think of organs forr all types of energy gathering we may include.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:43 pm

~sciocont wrote:
@Rex-
Kinetic energy is just energy inmotion. If it's not stored energy, it's kinetic.

Basically, we need to think of organs forr all types of energy gathering we may include.

1. I was thinking macro-kinetic

2. We have to think of all the different types of energy gathering we will include at all first.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

Well, I think chemosynthesis is inherently plausible, and given that it actually occurs on earth, we know it's evolved at least once. And it really is very similar to photosynthesis, but with a different set of conditions providing the energy.
Wouldn't be too hard to have a look at deep-sea organisms that use chemosynthesis and set up the option similar to photosynthesis.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
@Rex-

1. I was thinking macro-kinetic

2. We have to think of all the different types of energy gathering we will include at all first.

I suppose creatuires could use a piezioelectric effect to harvest energy from blows and shockwaves, sound waves as well.

That's actually not a bda idea- think of a tree on a planet that is almost always in dark- it could harvest sound energy, shockwaves from earthquakes, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Piezioelectric sounds good, but would the organism running off of it be using the electric charge directly or would it be using it to convert chemicals into forms that it can use (analogous to sugar production?)
I wouldn't imagine that the electric charge would be large (or constant) enough for the second option, and the only part of an organism that can really be run without "sugars" is the CNS.

Still, I've read of stranger things in science fiction... if we can think out a logical way that this could work I say go for it. Variety is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Piezioelectric sounds good, but would the organism running off of it be using the electric charge directly or would it be using it to convert chemicals into forms that it can use (analogous to sugar production?)
I wouldn't imagine that the electric charge would be large (or constant) enough for the second option, and the only part of an organism that can really be run without "sugars" is the CNS.

Still, I've read of stranger things in science fiction... if we can think out a logical way that this could work I say go for it. Variety is awesome.
Such a charge could be both large and constant on an alien world.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 pm

I've been doing some reading on alternate energy systems, and I have some numbers concerning chemosynthesis.

-Aerobic respiration2 yields about -2880 kJ/mol glucose (which would be around -2830 wihtout glycolysis)
-Glycolysis3 yields about -53.4 kJ/mol glucose
-Iron Oxidation respiration1 could yield -167 kJ/mol Fe
-Sulfate Reduction4 yields about -20 kJ/mol Sulfur
-Denitrification5 yields about -561 kJ/mol NO3- or -455 kJ/mol when using sulfur oxidation

This means aerobic respiration is far more efficient than any other type of respiration, but in the absence of oxygen, denitrification is an excellent respiratory strategy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.   Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun. Empty

Back to top Go down

Chemosynthesis, Thermosynthesis, and good ol' fashioned Autotroph fun.
Page 1 of 1