Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Pre-Tech Tech...? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Pre-Tech Tech...?

Go down 
+9
Waap
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
Commander Keen
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Poisson
toxiciron
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:19 am

I just got a kind of idea that I'm not too sure which category this would go under, but I will try to explain it for now.

I know we have a big tech tree for after you become sapient, but what about before you become sapient? Almost like researching basic brain functions with DNA resources (Spore analogy for now), I could see this being pretty fun in strategy mode.

Like, for instance, you could research pack behavior, and all your creatures would gradually start to stick together.
Or you could research hive behavior, or communication, or whatever. The thing is this - I think we kind of agreed on once you become sapient, you get to do strategy mode. But wouldn't it be fun to kind of start before you're fully evolved?
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 am

That is an interesting idea, as it sort of preparees you for researching techs. The problem is how to impliment it realistically.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 am

Perhaps there could be a range of different branches eg. Social, Aggressive, Passive [first things that came to my mind] Im gonna give an example of how I see it happening here

So say the player selects Social [you can only select one at a time]. Then your creatures would begin to instinctively pack together over time. So they would start out as creatures going solo, wandering into anotyhers territory would get you killed. Then after a while they become slightly more tolerant of each other. Later on they may begin to 'hunt' in twos, then in threes and they continue to get into larger packs until the player decides to change what they selected on the tree. After, lets say, the creatures began to work in groups of two or three, it would unlock other things like communication, pack mentality or something, and yeah.

I'll try to explain better later on.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 am

I'm not to keen on this (pun unintended). Research is supposed to reflect people actively pursuing new knowledge, but that's something that happens when the organism is sapient.

But you brought another valid point. How will things like evolving from loner to social orgs work?
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

Indeed.

However what I mean is more of you pretty much 'steering' the direction in which your species evolves by selecting an option from the, I suppose we could call it the 'Evolution tree'? There's no DNA points or evolution points involved, it's just a simple [enough] place from which to make your species as you see fit.

Yeah thats a much better explaination of what I meant ^^^ please read this instead of the above post if you have the luck to read this one first. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I'm not to keen on this (pun unintended). Research is supposed to reflect people actively pursuing new knowledge, but that's something that happens when the organism is sapient.

But you brought another valid point. How will things like evolving from loner to social orgs work?

Wouldn't it work through others copying your actions? You stick with other creatures, they do the same, and herds emerge...

I'm afraid I'm with Keen, I'm not keen. This is using the points system to evolve (behaviourally, but it's evolution), which is too much like Spore. Creatures don't use points to develop their behaviour. I'm sure all this could be done in a more realistic way.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:49 pm

I actually like this idea, but with one major tweak. Instead of having the good old fashioned research button, treat it like our current research tree, minus all system of gaining research points except triggers. That way, each advancement is custom tailored to have a respective and understandable cause. This would help out our planned Player-Evo system by splitting it into two systems: mental and physical changes.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Quoted from my post:
Quote :
There's no DNA points or evolution points involved

Uteens post:
Quote :
This is using the points system

I rest my case.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

Behavior mutations, like those pointed out by Uteen.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Anyone catch my post?

I wrote:
I actually like this idea, but with one major tweak. Instead of having the good old fashioned research button, treat it like our current research tree, minus all system of gaining research points except triggers. That way, each advancement is custom tailored to have a respective and understandable cause. This would help out our planned Player-Evo system by splitting it into two systems: mental and physical changes.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Anyone catch my post?

I wrote:
I don't quite understand, but I think that's because I don't keep track of the Tech Tree.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Yes behavior mutations. Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:52 am

I caught Rex's post - I'm thinking it can be meshed quite nicely with the "mutations" idea - letting the savvy player steer while still keeping an element of randomness.
Basically, behavioral changes (Not mutations - they are not necessarily genetic) could be triggered in certain circumstances where it is helpful to the organism/species survival and be passed on if they remain useful. Some behavioral changes could lead to others (group nesting could lead to group hunting could lead to pack structure) in a sort of pre-sentient behavioral web.
Hopefully, that's along the lines of what Rex was implying anyway.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
I caught Rex's post - I'm thinking it can be meshed quite nicely with the "mutations" idea - letting the savvy player steer while still keeping an element of randomness.
Basically, behavioral changes (Not mutations - they are not necessarily genetic) could be triggered in certain circumstances where it is helpful to the organism/species survival and be passed on if they remain useful. Some behavioral changes could lead to others (group nesting could lead to group hunting could lead to pack structure) in a sort of pre-sentient behavioral web.
Hopefully, that's along the lines of what Rex was implying anyway.
Sortof. I was hoping it would still be more accidental improvement though. I want the player to gain sentience through experimentation and curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:01 am

We'd still need a cause-and-effect web.
Savvy players are going to figure out what leads to what eventually, though. (Unless we want to go overboard with random values...)
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
We'd still need a cause-and-effect web.
Savvy players are going to figure out what leads to what eventually, though. (Unless we want to go overboard with random values...)
Yup. QFT
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 am

This is making me think...
Groups like wolf packs and such can form before sapience, so shouldn't we be able to access strategy mode before then? In a wolf pack, there is a leader who leads the rest of the pack, so(most likely simplified version of) strategy mode should be available in that situation, should it not?
In all seriousness, I'm unsure of all of the features of strategy mode, so I'd rather like it if someone disagreed(with reasons, of course).
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 am

Waap wrote:
Groups like wolf packs and such can form before sapience, so shouldn't we be able to access strategy mode before then? In a wolf pack, there is a leader who leads the rest of the pack, so(most likely simplified version of) strategy mode should be available in that situation, should it not?
In all seriousness, I'm unsure of all of the features of strategy mode, so I'd rather like it if someone disagreed(with reasons, of course).
-Waap.
Thank you. I've been suggesting this.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:54 am

~sciocont wrote:
Waap wrote:
-Waap.
We've been over this before. Wolves don't stratgize. They function on instinct only. No strat mode for them.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Waap wrote:
-Waap.
We've been over this before. Wolves don't stratgize. They function on instinct only. No strat mode for them.
We have been over this before, and they do. Where was it that we discussed this and I put up a ton of links providing evidence for animal strategizing?
Even if you insist wolves don't strategize, the player should still be able to create animals that do, but are not sapient, right? I think that's the best way to ease players into strat mode.
Back to top Go down
Redstar
Newcomer
Redstar

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Ugh, I hate the idea of strategy mode being available for animals. See, here's the thing: Wolves do operate based on strategies, but they don't give and receive orders in real-time - and that mechanic is the linchpin of Strategy Mode's gameplay justification.

Wolves do work together, and they do use teamwork to carry out complicated goals. I get that, based on that, people think they should get strategy mode. However, once a hunt is in progress, each wolf is acting autonomously and making decisions independently in real-time. They're not taking orders from a central commander - and that's what Strategy mode is intended to represent.

I'm inclined in favor of more advanced AI for pack-hunters, certainly - and the issue of how behaviors of any kind will evolve in NPCs has yet to be really discussed. I just don't think you should get a suite of real-time command options. Perhaps something squad-based? I haven't played a lot of squad-based combat, but that idea just feels... better. More appropriate.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Redstar wrote:
Ugh, I hate the idea of strategy mode being available for animals. See, here's the thing: Wolves do operate based on strategies, but they don't give and receive orders in real-time - and that mechanic is the linchpin of Strategy Mode's gameplay justification.

Wolves do work together, and they do use teamwork to carry out complicated goals. I get that, based on that, people think they should get strategy mode. However, once a hunt is in progress, each wolf is acting autonomously and making decisions independently in real-time. They're not taking orders from a central commander - and that's what Strategy mode is intended to represent.

I'm inclined in favor of more advanced AI for pack-hunters, certainly - and the issue of how behaviors of any kind will evolve in NPCs has yet to be really discussed. I just don't think you should get a suite of real-time command options. Perhaps something squad-based? I haven't played a lot of squad-based combat, but that idea just feels... better. More appropriate.
What I was thinking goes with my other ideas for creature strategy- you suggest actions to creatures. They will most likely take them, but they may act on other whims, or deviate from the plan.
Back to top Go down
Redstar
Newcomer
Redstar

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:28 pm

~sciocont wrote:
What I was thinking goes with my other ideas for creature strategy- you suggest actions to creatures. They will most likely take them, but they may act on other whims, or deviate from the plan.
I think part of the problem here is that we're talking about different things when we say "strategy mode"

I use it to mean a top-down, HUD-intensive, Starcraft-style control scheme, where the player no longer controls an individual. You seem to be talking about a kind of squad-based third-person tactical control scheme (a la Dragon Age or Mass Effect)

I kind of worry that the game will become a confusing mess, with all these different control schemes to manage. Is it really a good idea to try and throw all this stuff together?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Redstar wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
I think part of the problem here is that we're talking about different things when we say "strategy mode"

I use it to mean a top-down, HUD-intensive, Starcraft-style control scheme, where the player no longer controls an individual. You seem to be talking about a kind of squad-based third-person tactical control scheme (a la Dragon Age or Mass Effect)

I kind of worry that the game will become a confusing mess, with all these different control schemes to manage. Is it really a good idea to try and throw all this stuff together?
The only real "definition" of our strat mode is controlling more than one org at a time. You could be playing it like starcraft, but I think it could also function on smaller units.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Strategy and tactical controlls should really be different. Strategy needs quick large commands on large scale, while tactics need precision. I think we should draw inspiration from tactical combat games and milsims, these usually use F1-F12 keys to select specific members of the squad and then use number keys to select orders.

As to availability, I think tactics controls should be available to packhunters and similar, while strategy would get available later (maybe in the Awakening stage?). Packhunters really don't have any form of communication, but not giving player the control would be too limiting I think.

Quote :

There are still two main sets of controls (Org mode, Strategy mode), all these discussed things are just possible extensions of the main two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Tech Tech...?   Pre-Tech Tech...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pre-Tech Tech...?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes :: Strategy-
Jump to: