Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?

Go down 
+5
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Poisson
US_of_Alaska
Thrivial Pursuit
~sciocont
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Empty
PostSubject: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Please post here only if you wish to be part of the podcast.

Podcast Moderator: Hello, and welcome to the first official Thrive development podcast. The Thrive developers have decided to begin releasing audio question and answer sessions for their fans, so that those outside of the development team can have a look into what the project is about. These podcasts will cover basic concepts of the game as well as the progress of its development. The Thrive team wants to reach out to its fans as much as possible, so If you have any questions about the project, please post them on our website forum or ModDB page.

Today, we're going to hear from some of the top developers of Thrive, {insert participating members & who they are here}

And so, the first question of the podcast is: What is Thrive?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello, I'm Isaac, known as sciocont or scio within the development forums. I co-lead the project and developed the organism editor concept, as well as some of our art style and other aspects of the game. I'm the go-to guy around the forums for basically anything, and I run our ModDB account.

So what is Thrive?

I didn't invent Thrive, or come up with the idea of a game for everything. I simply stumbled across the project a few years ago and decided it was something I could get into. Thrive truly is a great game concept. It's based around the idea that people do things better than companies, and that a community can come together from all corners of the world and create a game for free, then distribute it to anyone for free. I'll stress that again- we are non-profit. Nobody on the development team makes money off of this game, and our goal is to keep it that way.

:next reply:
Back to top Go down
Thrivial Pursuit
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello! I'm Justin, or Thrivial Pursuit on the forums. As a concept artist, I essentially work for scio, crating conceptual flora and fauna. I'm basically an artist in development, so my art will improve.

Well. What exactly is Thrive, anyways?

I learned about the project when I was on the Spore Forums, when it was still "Evolutions!" run by Sven Littkowski. I joined as "Evolutions2000," and never went on the forums much. People didn't really like my ideas. A few years later, I joined Thrive. The environment was much more user-friendly, and I got to know the other developers better. I joined the Art team in order to help create the game. The art will be rendered, put into procedurals(hopefully) and animated. The art may even be implemented into the game, once completed. Personally, I like the idea of a non-profit game being put into production. Plus, it's all free. Yet we all get credit. I hope the game will become famous enough to make it into the papers.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Hiya, i'm Luke. But 'round these parts they call me Alaska.

What is Thrive? Thrive is a dream. A goal for a few dreamer teenagers and a crazy Jamaican that has since grown into an ambitious goal for a few driven and dedicated developers. The game itself is an everything simulator, ultimately. Evolving from a cell to an intergalactic federation, if that's the goal you want to pursue of course. No one goal is the goal for Thrive, and the player will do whatever they please, with as few restrictions as possible.

One thing that never ceases to amaze be about the project is its resilience. We've been through corruption, shut downs, complete restriction of communication, members disappearing randomly. For an outsider, it'd be easy to confuse the history of Thrive with the history of a dynamic nation like France or Russia. But throughout all this, Thrive has thrived. We now have a large number of rather concrete concepts recorded in our wiki, and we actually have programmers that are working towards creating the game. Thrive is a dream. But every day it creeps closer to becoming a reality. And i, for one, can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Salut tout la monde. I am Zach, however here I am known as Poisson.

What is Thrive?

Thrive is a similation game. Our goal with Thrive is to create a game where one can do anything naturally possible with a species they create through evolution, both genetically, technologically and socially. During the creation process we have tried to adhear as closely to the current scientific model of evolution and physics, though certain things were sacrificed for gameplay, such as speed of light travel. But we are still very satasfied with the current concept. I don't think many of us truely expected to have made it this far.

As to the project itself, Thrive is, like Alaska has previously said, a dream that we all had several years back. I won't go into the details, as that may be a question for another time, but basically we were just regular forumers who stumbled upon an idea a man had for a game to compete with Will Wright's Spore, but as time passed and people came and went, the game evolved into it's own thing. I for one, have a fairly positive outlook on what this project may become.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Salvete, Hola, Bonjour and all that. I am Kenna, also known as Mysterious_Calligrapher or just plain Calli, and I'm here to do everything but the kitchen sink. I am primarily the team ecologist, though I'm also often called upon to be team botanist, biologist, chemist and linguist.

Thrive is a project that I am surprisingly new to. I didn't become an active participant on the forums until 2010, when my younger brother Isaac (sciocont) finally got me to have a look at the forum, and I was amazed at how much had been accomplished in so little time.

Along the way, I've come to realize that Thrive is life. Not life-consuming, (though it has the potential to be) nor life-changing, (though we can only hope) but a computer-simulated representation of life from it's most basic, single cells, to creatures and environments that could only exist on other planets, to whole civilizations from those first struggling to piece together pictographs to those that have achieved spaceflight. The possibilities present in Thrive are endless. Be a plant, if you wish. Be the perfect predator. Be an entire civilization or a single humble citizen. Be an amoeba.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Zdravím vás, přátelé. I'm Tomáš, better known as Commander Keen on the forum. I'm mostly the all around military guy here, with a strong word in industrial age and research sections.

What is Thrive, you ask?

Thrive is an attempt to make THE game. The game offering both peace and war, the game allowing you to roam the wild or explore the deep space, the game forcing nothing on you, yet allowing you to do everything.

This might seem to be an impossible goal for a bunch of random people on the internet. But we have thing many others lack: history. Thrive is already three years old, and in this time, we have already got through things one could mistake for historical events of a real country. Betrayal, revolution, sabotages, that's just naming a few. All those difficulties only served us, they made us stronger. They made us prepared to create Thrive.

:Could someone be so kind and grammar check this, please? I really don't want to be talking nonsense in the podcast.:

^All clear ~sciocont
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
:Could someone be so kind and grammar check this, please? I really don't want to be talking nonsense in the podcast.:

^All clear ~sciocont
Seconded. :What language was that first bit? *Is curious*:
Back to top Go down
Gorbachof
Newcomer
Gorbachof

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

^All clear ~sciocont
Seconded. :What language was that first bit? *Is curious*:

Czech, right?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Yep, my beloved Czech.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 10:59 pm

My second guess would have been polish... only because of the z's and c's. I have no idea if they're related at all.

Okay, no longer curious.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm

The was only one Z and no C's at all Anyways, yes, Polish is the third most related to Czech, after Slovak and Upper Sorbian.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The was only one Z and no C's at all Anyways, yes, Polish is the third most related to Czech, after Slovak and Upper Sorbian.

Good to know. (Please excuse my foreign language dyslexia - I could have sworn that there was a C!) I think we might want to end the OT here, though. Someone might actually want to contribute.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 am

If that's all the replies, I'd like everyone to start recording.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Expect a delay from me, my microphone is at a friend's house. I'll try to get it back ASAP.

Oh, and do you have anywhere in particular you want us to upload to?
Back to top Go down
Hellome118
Newcomer
Hellome118

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Can I squeeze into this, I know I'be been away for a while but I want to be part of it!

Hi, my name is Byron, I found this from a friend on another fourm sort of early 2011 and have been following it ever since.

What is Thrive?
To me, well, Thrive is just an idea in a load of peoples heads, but if you spend time looking at some of the concept art that people have taken their time to create, you start to realise how amazing those ideas are, and after a while, you start to beleive that the game could become reality, and you helped make it!

(BTW I am writeing this on my phone so feel free to point out any errors)

hopefully I'll be getting some nice headsets soon so that will be good!
Back to top Go down
http://novelmicro.co.uk/
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

@ Hellome: Approved. No glaring errors.
(Okay, it's spelled "writing" but that wasn't in your script bit.)

Only thing I'd change is not reading this as two long sentences. They're gramatically correct, but people do need to breathe when they talk.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Oh, and do you have anywhere in particular you want us to upload to?
Bump
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am

I have no idea. 4 shared, mediafire, box.com are all usually safe in my experience, but we may want to be careful as some sites will automatically flag audio files as "illegal." (Grrr, anti-pirate paranoia...) Maybe we should ask the music people where they've been uploading their stuff?
Back to top Go down
Hellome118
Newcomer
Hellome118

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 am

most of it is on SoundCloud
Back to top Go down
http://novelmicro.co.uk/
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:45 am

I'd go for Soundcloud, Youtube, any free place that it will be seen heard on. I suppose we want people to be able to hear it before they download it off places like 4shared (which has been used in the past) and mediafire.
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am

I compiled all of the forum posts and made them into a sort of script. I'm not really interested into being in the podcast but I wanted to help. Now all we need is a podcast moderator and an ending. I fixed grammar and spelling mistakes and edited some posts. Here's the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?hxjdwn0toa03q1k#1

Download from Mediafire just for Microsoft Word. This is for easier reading on the podcast. If it needs editing just tell me and I can reupload it.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I'll have a look. Four eyes are better than two, right?

Edit: Edited version Here.

Fixed: Comma issues that were annoying no one but me, typo
Edited: A sentence in my part, because it looked at me funny.

Last edited by Mysterious_Calligrapher on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No sentence should have the nerve to look at me funny.)
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Great! How you going to record? A Skype call through Audacity? Good luck anyhow. I'll be waiting on the mp3.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Each person will send in their own recording according to their part in the edited script.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?   Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Podcast Script: What is Thrive?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Archive-
Jump to: