Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
by Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am


Share | 
 

 A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 25
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:14 am

There is nothing further away or less central to Thrive in my mind, than the Post-Ascension stages. But it is something I'm fond of keeping in the back of my head.

And the more I think about it, the more I hope it gets to be as thoroughly belgiumed up as this.

We have the opportunity to make something truly alien and weird. I see no reason not to.

Just some stuff to ponder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular
avatar

Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 104
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:24 am

Tenebrarum wrote:


And the more I think about it, the more I hope it gets to be as thoroughly belgiumed up as this.
.

"ADMIN is serious about your dirty mouth. ADMIN treats every cuss as if it were Belgium."


LoL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:51 am

Wha..?

Post-ascension was going to be simply observer mode with god tools. I'm not sure how this relates to anything... Are you saying we change it, or this is what it should look like, or what? And isn't post ascension one stage? Explanation please. I'm a bit confused completely and hopelessly oblivious to the meaning of this.

And indeed, swearing filter fail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular
avatar

Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 104
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:20 am

The Uteen wrote:
Wha..?

Post-ascension was going to be simply observer mode with god tools. I'm not sure how this relates to anything... Are you saying we change it, or this is what it should look like, or what? And isn't post ascension one stage? Explanation please. I'm a bit confused completely and hopelessly oblivious to the meaning of this.

And indeed, swearing filter fail.

I think he want to do some kind of FULL sandbox where you can control.
All The things in the game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:36 am

ido66667 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Wha..?

Post-ascension was going to be simply observer mode with god tools. I'm not sure how this relates to anything... Are you saying we change it, or this is what it should look like, or what? And isn't post ascension one stage? Explanation please. I'm a bit confused completely and hopelessly oblivious to the meaning of this.

And indeed, swearing filter fail.

I think he want to do some kind of FULL sandbox where you can control.
All The things in the game
I believe that's what he means, and the cause for the surrealist stuff.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:43 am

~sciocont wrote:
ido66667 wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Wha..?

Post-ascension was going to be simply observer mode with god tools. I'm not sure how this relates to anything... Are you saying we change it, or this is what it should look like, or what? And isn't post ascension one stage? Explanation please. I'm a bit confused completely and hopelessly oblivious to the meaning of this.

And indeed, swearing filter fail.

I think he want to do some kind of FULL sandbox where you can control.
All The things in the game
I believe that's what he means, and the cause for the surrealist stuff.


So... Concept art?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 25
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:30 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I believe that's what he means, and the cause for the surrealist stuff.

There we go.

That's the point of Post-Ascension, isn't it? Complete control of the entire game, allowing the player to do whatever they want, throwing science out the window.

If not, feel free to ignore this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
I believe that's what he means, and the cause for the surrealist stuff.

There we go.

That's the point of Post-Ascension, isn't it? Complete control of the entire game, allowing the player to do whatever they want, throwing science out the window.

If not, feel free to ignore this.

Yeah... That is the point of post-ascension...

I'm just not sure what the pictures have to do with it. Maybe I need to be into art to get it, rather than just appreciating a decent stickman.

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 25
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:27 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Yeah... That is the point of post-ascension...

I'm just not sure what the pictures have to do with it. Maybe I need to be into art to get it, rather than just appreciating a decent stickman.

Spoiler:
 

The pictures themselves I chose because most of them showcase figures and settings that in and of themselves would be impossible to have when following the basic rules of physics and evolution.

Barlowe's Inferno contains writing suspended above a creature's head, buildings that occasionally fly off of their own accord, and bricks that stare and blink at you.

Belsinski gives us upside-down cities and twisted, abstract faces. The sun and moon are joined by a pale mask in one, and others contain hands and walls that are one and the same.

Bosch shows off still-moving creatures that have been hollowed out and turned into structures.

My point is that post-ascension could end up being just the main game plus cheats, but it could also be something wildly different and strange. If the goal is to be a God, then let our Gods build something truly haunting and alien.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Yeah... That is the point of post-ascension...

I'm just not sure what the pictures have to do with it. Maybe I need to be into art to get it, rather than just appreciating a decent stickman.

Spoiler:
 

The pictures themselves I chose because most of them showcase figures and settings that in and of themselves would be impossible to have when following the basic rules of physics and evolution.

Barlowe's Inferno contains writing suspended above a creature's head, buildings that occasionally fly off of their own accord, and bricks that stare and blink at you.

Belsinski gives us upside-down cities and twisted, abstract faces. The sun and moon are joined by a pale mask in one, and others contain hands and walls that are one and the same.

Bosch shows off still-moving creatures that have been hollowed out and turned into structures.

My point is that post-ascension could end up being just the main game plus cheats, but it could also be something wildly different and strange. If the goal is to be a God, then let our Gods build something truly haunting and alien.


My mind is struggling with the artisticness of these examples... Hold on a minute...

...

Yeah, it should be weird. Hopefully not too artistic, my mind would go blank, but weird. Most of the haunting alien stuff will just be in the god wars, pre-ascension but with godly powers at their disposal. Complete annihilation opponent, followed by the opponent coming from the future and destroying you in the past before you destroy them in the present, allowing them to exist in the future to do what they just did, followed by a counter by turning the entire opponent's species into a form of green raisin that looks suspiciously like a nasal ornament, but quickly rebounds due to the fact that from now on you never had a single god machine in the first place.

That's the point of the game I imagine all the craziness. Post-ascension means the species is now unaffected by the god powers, so I'd see that more as calm, or at least a very one-sided god war which will end very quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Waap
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 77
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-07-20
Age : 20
Location : Waap. HQ

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Yes, but you can't travel through time. It is simply impossible to do without the chance certainty of a paradox.
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Waap wrote:
Yes, but you can't travel through time. It is simply impossible to do without the chance certainty of a paradox.
-Waap.
It was just an example, I do know we aren't planning to have a time machine god machine. The point it, the godly powers will make epicly confusing and devastating wars pre-ascension, when both sides can actually be wiped out, and would probably be more like the surrealist stuff then than post-ascension, when you are untouchable.

Although, Achron managed to deal with paradoxes. Put simply, the paradox just switches between one possible situation and the other. Quite hard to copy how it does it without just copying their game though. Not that that's a bad idea. (Unless, of course, they could sue us for using similar gameplay elements, unlikely they would bother though)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay   

Back to top Go down
 
A Few Quick Pieces of inspiration for Post-Ascension Gameplay
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes :: God Tools-
Jump to: