Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Can a organism of immense size be a biome?

Go down 
+9
Orygandian2
GmansWatching
Mysterious_Calligrapher
PTFace
Holomanga
4017jman
Pezzalis
~sciocont
Splicer
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Splicer
Newcomer

Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Empty
PostSubject: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:17 am

Im thinking of a creature that can support a entire ecosystem on itself, let me explain further.

For example scavengers can just bite away at it in glee since there is so much to eat upon it without barely scratching the surface or majorly injuring the animal with it just healing over like a small cut. Whereas moss or certain plant matter like fungi can grow upon it.

excessive feeding may bring about its demise however though a single carcass could feed a entire other ecosystem for a long time with predators coming around for miles and miles in search of a free meal creating competition and a massive rise in predator population.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Splicer wrote:
Im thinking of a creature that can support a entire ecosystem on itself, let me explain further.

For example scavengers can just bite away at it in glee since there is so much to eat upon it without barely scratching the surface or majorly injuring the animal with it just healing over like a small cut. Whereas moss or certain plant matter like fungi can grow upon it.

excessive feeding may bring about its demise however though a single carcass could feed a entire other ecosystem for a long time with predators coming around for miles and miles in search of a free meal creating competition and a massive rise in predator population.
Are you suggesting something akin to a whale fall? It's not a biome in itself, but a dead animal allows a biome to exist.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:29 am

Remember the general rule of thumb with organism size - Surface Area to volume ratio that is. Its highly unlikely that an immensely large organism could exist on land - General physics dictates that it just couldn't simply exist to function efficiently, due to every increase in size causing a much larger increase in volume.

However on a less macro scale we ourselves are effectively biomes. We are capable of providing an environment which can house multitudes of bacteria, fungi and parasites.
I guess it could be possible to allocate some niches to particularly large organisms. Actual specifics of a biome such as temperature etc would be determined by where the large organism actually is.

So many large organisms could effectively have niches to go with them - small parasites or scavengers (Bacteria, fungi, insect-like organisms), small and large cleaners (Like remora or cleaner birds - symbiosis).

I appear to be arguing with myself. Basically yes but the largest organisms you'd get in these niches would be bird or remora sized due to the physical restrictions of life as we know it.

Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am

I'd imagine that the niches actually got a lot bigger. If we assume Amphicoelias to be an accurate fossil and the largest land organism ever, I'd assume that it had some pterosaurs traveling with it, feeding on skin parasites and such. These pterosaurs could probably be of a relatively large size- maybe as big as a hawk.
Back to top Go down
4017jman

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Remember the general rule of thumb with organism size - Surface Area to volume ratio that is. Its highly unlikely that an immensely large organism could exist on land - General physics dictates that it just couldn't simply exist to function efficiently, due to every increase in size causing a much larger increase in volume.

However on a less macro scale we ourselves are effectively biomes. We are capable of providing an environment which can house multitudes of bacteria, fungi and parasites.
I guess it could be possible to allocate some niches to particularly large organisms. Actual specifics of a biome such as temperature etc would be determined by where the large organism actually is.

So many large organisms could effectively have niches to go with them - small parasites or scavengers (Bacteria, fungi, insect-like organisms), small and large cleaners (Like remora or cleaner birds - symbiosis).

I appear to be arguing with myself. Basically yes but the largest organisms you'd get in these niches would be bird or remora sized due to the physical restrictions of life as we know it.

planets can have lower gravity so things good get immense i mean on Darwin IV there where humungus FLYING creatures like the ebony blister wing(300 metre wingspan 0_o) due to the gravity being only 0.6 of earths also the creatures like in the Darwin IV book could have a form of feeding that was so effienct that it could grow to Massive sizes
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

You could have massive creatures on low gravity planets supporting their own biomes, but I wouldn't want to try to feed one!

Square/cube law for jman's Blister Wing (using albatross-like proportions) puts its mass at 6592 metric tons, which would require a lot of food. Emphasis on a lot.

In short, a massive biome-beast would be so large as to be unfeedable.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Holomanga wrote:
You could have massive creatures on low gravity planets supporting their own biomes, but I wouldn't want to try to feed one!

Square/cube law for jman's Blister Wing (using albatross-like proportions) puts its mass at 6592 metric tons, which would require a lot of food. Emphasis on a lot.

In short, a massive biome-beast would be so large as to be unfeedable.
QFT, though it's feasible for autotrophs and saprobes.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm

As soon as I saw this thread I thought of a giant spacewhale the size of planet with life on it.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 am

PTFace wrote:
As soon as I saw this thread I thought of a giant spacewhale the size of planet with life on it.

Yeah but with immense size only comes more problems, such as how it gets energy to all parts of its body etc.

Simply not possible with the Universes Physics.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Physics says no. For that matter, the ecologist (me) says no and probably the programmers too.
On that note, however, Aspen groves (really huge organisms - the thicket is alive!) could, theoretically, influence the formation of microbiomes, but they couldn't be a biome in and of themselves. A whale fall would be handled in game most likely as a concentration of resources. They would definitely influence the biome around them, but not make a new one.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 pm

What if the creature never/rarely moved thus preserving its energy. And it just so happened to have its mouth in a cave where freshwater and fish flow into, giving it food. And when it moves, it causes earthquakes like tectonic plates moving around.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

Location : In the middle of nowhere, calling for pizza delivery.

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Good idea Gman, but I don't think it would work because there would be more than one of those creatures, and even if they moved rarely, there would be problems if multiple moved at once, no matter how unlikely. If it didn't cause earthquakes, then maybe that could work.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Physics says no. For that matter, the ecologist (me) says no and probably the programmers too.
On that note, however, Aspen groves (really huge organisms - the thicket is alive!) could, theoretically, influence the formation of microbiomes, but they couldn't be a biome in and of themselves. A whale fall would be handled in game most likely as a concentration of resources. They would definitely influence the biome around them, but not make a new one.

Agree.
Plus Remeber to not watch to many Science fiction movies.
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
PTFace wrote:

Yeah but with immense size only comes more problems, such as how it gets energy to all parts of its body etc.

Still, it would be pretty neat. Even it's hills of dooky would be epic to a point.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 pm

jaws2blood wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
PTFace wrote:

Still, it would be pretty neat. Even it's hills of dooky would be epic to a point.

From sciocionts's sig:

"Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always."
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 5:34 pm

ido66667 wrote:
From sciocionts's sig:

"Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always."

From Ido66667's sig:

Rise And Shine...Mr.Thrive
Rise and Shine........ And Stop Quoting Other People's Signatures.

Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:40 pm

All right, children - settle down. I'm here to tell you why I will have no more flying space whales, space turtles, or whatnot. Granted, they would be cool, but we're trying to do a lot of cool stuff here and they're not compatible with the other cool stuff.

The definition of a biome, according to our lovely Wikipedia:
Quote :
Biomes are climatically and geographically defined as similar climatic conditions on the Earth, such as communities of plants, animals, and soil organisms,[ and are often referred to as ecosystems. Some parts of the earth have more or less the same kind of abiotic and biotic factors spread over a large area, creating a typical ecosystem over that area. Such major ecosystems are termed as biomes. Biomes are defined by factors such as plant structures (such as trees, shrubs, and grasses), leaf types (such as broadleaf and needleleaf), plant spacing (forest, woodland, savanna), and climate. Unlike ecozones, biomes are not defined by genetic, taxonomic, or historical similarities. Biomes are often identified with particular patterns of ecological succession and climax vegetation (quasiequilibrium state of the local ecosystem).
- Wikipedia

An organism cannot be a biome because a biome is a set of climatic conditions and sucession within those conditions, which an organism clearly is not.

An organism cannot be a biome because biomes are too big.

An organism cannot be a biome because it would cause game physics to break.

Feel free to watch as much sci-fi as you like, kids, but be careful when applying it's ideas to our project. Sci-fi writers have great imaginations - visionary ones, sometimes - but in most cases, the storyline is more important than the workability of the science to their eyes, so it can be cool, but very implausible. As opposed to this project, which is cool but strangely practical.

No more arguments about this on the thread, ducklings: I'm getting it put on the FAQ if this keeps up.
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:44 pm

All right, children - settle down. I'm here to tell you why I will have no more flying space whales, space turtles, or whatnot. Granted, they would be cool, but we're trying to do a lot of cool stuff here and they're not compatible with the other cool stuff.

The definition of a biome, according to our lovely Wikipedia:
Quote :
Biomes are climatically and geographically defined as similar climatic conditions on the Earth, such as communities of plants, animals, and soil organisms,[ and are often referred to as ecosystems. Some parts of the earth have more or less the same kind of abiotic and biotic factors spread over a large area, creating a typical ecosystem over that area. Such major ecosystems are termed as biomes. Biomes are defined by factors such as plant structures (such as trees, shrubs, and grasses), leaf types (such as broadleaf and needleleaf), plant spacing (forest, woodland, savanna), and climate. Unlike ecozones, biomes are not defined by genetic, taxonomic, or historical similarities. Biomes are often identified with particular patterns of ecological succession and climax vegetation (quasiequilibrium state of the local ecosystem).
- Wikipedia

An organism cannot be a biome because a biome is a set of climatic conditions and sucession within those conditions, which an organism clearly is not.

An organism cannot be a biome because biomes are too big.

An organism cannot be a biome because it would cause game physics to break.

Feel free to watch as much sci-fi as you like, kids, but be careful when applying it's ideas to our project. Sci-fi writers have great imaginations - visionary ones, sometimes - but in most cases, the storyline is more important than the workability of the science to their eyes, so it can be cool, but very implausible. As opposed to this project, which is cool but strangely practical.

No more arguments about this on the thread, ducklings: I'm getting it put on the FAQ if this keeps up.

Can we at least have giant critters that can swallow oak trees whole?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 pm

From a programming standpoint, making a creature a biome is a problem.

If a creature is a biome, then naturally, class Creature would inherit from class Biome. That sounds painful.
Back to top Go down
jaws2blood
Newcomer
jaws2blood

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:53 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

If a creature is a biome, then naturally, class Creature would inherit from class Biome. That sounds painful.

in a nutshell.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

It sounds like a good way to compile wrongly. (Hi, Roadkill!)
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm

roadkillguy wrote:

It sounds like a good way to compile wrongly. (Hi, Roadkill!)

Nah it'd compile just fine, once you got through it. Hi MC
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for ending this thread so that I don't have to forcibly ignore it anymore!
[/thread]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can a organism of immense size be a biome?   Can a organism of immense size be a biome? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can a organism of immense size be a biome?
Page 1 of 1