Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Biomes: The Final Definition Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Biomes: The Final Definition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Biomes: The Final Definition Empty
PostSubject: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:21 pm

So here it is. I'm going to lay out here everything we need to put in biomes, and how they will work, completely.

1: Determining where a biome goes
-A: Each terrain tile on a planet will be analyzed for a few separate parameters:
~I: Average Temperature
~II: Underwater (T/F)
~III: Elevation
-B: From this we can determine a couple of different biomes that it will fall into. From there on, the game groups terrain tiles into biomes based on these aspects. It will start by selecting a single terrain tile and assigning a biome to it. All terrain tiles around that tile that also fall within the acceptable parameters of that biome then also are claimed for that biome. Once it finds a tile that does not fit into the biome, it puts a border there. When none of the tiles in a biome have any neighbors with acceptable values for the biome the game picks another tile on the surface of the planet that has not yet been assigned a biome and repeats the process again and again until all tiles have been assigned to a biome.
-C:Precipitation does not effect where biomes are placed, where biomes are placed effects precipitation.

2: Determining what lives in a biome
-A: Each biome will have a set value for Gross Generational Energy. GGE is the total amount of energy available to primary consumers in that biome per terrain tile.
~I: the GGE value is multiplied by the number of tiles in the biome, and a total GGE is calculated for the biome.
-B: autotrophs with the correct biome tags are selected form the TCL and distributed, into the biome using pseudorandom noise coupled with tolerances outlined in autotroph distribution. This happens individually for each size of plant, as long as the TGGE budget is not completely used up. I'll include a list here of Energy consumption per tile for individual plant sizes here later. Once all of the autotrophs are distributed, the game can pace animals into a biome.
-C: the game tallies the total number of plant species in he biome. It divides the species count by three to find the total number of primary consumers to place into the biome. (primary consumers can be herbivores or omnivores) It selects from the TCL that many species to place in.
-D: the game calculates the total autotroph biomass of the biome and divides it by 10 to get the available biomass budget for primary consumers.
-E: now that it has a biomass budget and list of species, the game calculates how many of each species can fit into the biome, trying to make populations as even as possible. When it has finished, the initial populations for primary consumers are established.
-F: The game totals the number of primary consumer species and divides by three for the number of secondary consumer species, selects from the TCL the ones to put in
-G: The game totals the biomass of primary consumers, divides by 10 to find the available biomass for secondary consumers
-H: The game calculates the populations of secondary consumers, trying to make them as even as possible.
-I: The game tallies the total biomass of all organisms, divides by 100 to get the biomass budget for detritivores.
-J: The game divides the total number of species by 10 to get the species budget for detritivores
-K: The game creates population numbers for detritivore species.

Rules for the selection of appropriate species:

The appropriate species must:
Be of the trophic type needed
& Has the correct biome tag
& Eats organisms with sizes that are found in the biome
& Is of a size sustainable by the biome (each biome will have specific size exceptions, for example, a desert would mot allow any giant plants, a dense rain forest would not allow any giant animals)

3: Once the biome has been created, Autotroph Distribution Procedure and Auto-Evo can take over.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Biomes: The Final Definition Tumblr_lmer8oF8My1qafrh6
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I approve of that.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Actually this is the first post in this forums that actually relates to any kind of algorythm. Maybe something from bashi, but that was more to himself. Anyway i see some things that need to be finished:

The initial creatures need to be created somehow. This is probably something for somewhere else, but we need to address it. The other possibility would be to use the ai to move them from cell to creature.

Many types of biomes could fit into the same tile. Probably you mean just to choose one that fits at random.

Usually numbers are not used to describe algorithms, as they could change.

Biomes should affect each other, for example, it would be strange to see a dense rain forest right next to a desert. We could solve that stating wich biomes can be placed next to each other (or can't) and instead of choosing a random tile to place the next biome, choose a neightbour tile. This can still have problems, but the possible solutions are a bit OT. Or you could simply not care and allow the biomes to be together.

Other than that, it is great, i love it
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

talking about biomes all the biomes on the biome suggestion will be implemented right? (ones that were approved i mean) or was that just simple brainstorming?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Rorsten594 wrote:
talking about biomes all the biomes on the biome suggestion will be implemented right? (ones that were approved i mean) or was that just simple brainstorming?

Both. That was simple brainstorming of biomes which, with some minor tweaks when necessary, will be implemented in-game. Of course, that doesn't mean you can post a stupid biome and it will be added.

I suspect there are quite a few near-duplicates which will be merged, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biomes: The Final Definition   Biomes: The Final Definition Empty

Back to top Go down

Biomes: The Final Definition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Biomes-
Jump to: