Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum

Go down 
+5
US_of_Alaska
Poisson
koiboi59
DragonEye4
Invader
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 am

~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

That was great. I love it.
lewks gewd. I can't even point out what you changed, really.
Just sentence structure, some capital letters. Things i pick up on because i'm picky.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 2:43 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

That was great. I love it.
lewks gewd. I can't even point out what you changed, really.
Just sentence structure, some capital letters. Things i pick up on because i'm picky.
good.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Oooookaayyy... NOW. Where do we post it?
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm

h
InvaderZim wrote:
At the link in the other thread ta\hat I posted, to a forum which is designed for people to post ideas for video games.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:58 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
h
InvaderZim wrote:
At the link in the other thread ta\hat I posted, to a forum which is designed for people to post ideas for video games.

Okay. Which thread did you post itin, and who's going to post it?
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:49 am

InvaderZim wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
h
InvaderZim wrote:

Okay. Which thread did you post itin, and who's going to post it?
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=17

Here is the link to the forum, I thought scociont was.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm

can you post a link, i can't find it. to many pages.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:47 am

koiboi59 wrote:

It was never posted there. If Scio's going to do it, maybe he just forgot. I never saw him post about it.
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:12 am

InvaderZim wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:

It was never posted there. If Scio's going to do it, maybe he just forgot. I never saw him post about it.

yeah, he never reported it. maybe hes just waiting til we get some gameplay.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
koiboi59 wrote:

I was under the impression you were going to do it, but ok I will...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=579466&forum_id=17&gforum_id=0
Thier forums are horrible: no pics, no links. How do they work like that?
Back to top Go down
koiboi59
Learner
koiboi59

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 6:11 pm

some guy just posted this: "This is more appropriate for the Help Wanted forum. Please read about the mandatory posting template in that forum, and then post there."

Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 pm

koiboi59 wrote:
some guy just posted this: "This is more appropriate for the Help Wanted forum. Please read about the mandatory posting template in that forum, and then post there."

It should not be too hard put the stuff in the template, who should do it? I will, if someone else does not want to.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:25 pm

The template:

<b>Team name:</b>
The name of your team or company, though be careful to abide by the faq and not mislead anybody into thinking it's a registered company if this is not true. This section is optional.

<b>Project name:</b>
The name or working title of your game/project. If you have no specific project at present (i.e. hiring for a longer term team) or have not yet named your project you may choose to leave this out.

<b>Brief description:</b>
A brief overview of the project including how long it has currently been in production and a description of the genre and defining features of your game. For those with no specific project a statement of your group's goals or a mission statement can go here.

<b>Target aim:</b>
Shareware/Freeware/retail/etc. For those not forming a team for a specific project, you could put some long or short term plans here.

<b>Compensation:</b>
Can you pay, or are you offering a percentage of potential revenue (this is not the same as up-front or contracted payment)? Can you put it in writing for potential help?

<b>Technology:</b>
Target system, programming language and/or tools, artist tools, sound tools, etc. If you're planning to develop for consoles, expect to be asked how you intend to pay the expensive licencing fees and aquire appropriate dev-kits.

<b>Talent needed:</b>
List the people you need, their expected tasks and any experience needed.

<b>Team structure:</b>
List the people who are currently in the team, how long they've been there, and most importantly what YOU do.

<b>Website:</b>
Link to your website, even if it's a work-in-progress. Use html tags to make it a clicky link. If you don't have a website you may leave this section out, but it is recommended particularly for larger projects that you set up something.

<b>Contacts:</b>
Your email address/forum/etc...

<b>Previous Work by Team:</b>
Short description/links to previous projects by the team or prominent team-members to show your experience, otherwise 'none'. This section is not optional.

<b>Additional Info:</b>
Anything else you want to say, snippets of the story/design, screenshots, etc. This section is optional but strongly recommended, most people should be able to think of something.

<b>Feedback:</b>
NONE/ENCOURAGING ONLY/ANY
Choose what level of feedback you'd like to recieve, and delete the one that doesn't apply.

That's the template. If you want to have a go at it, be my guest.
Back to top Go down
DragonEye4
Regular
DragonEye4

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I have not been able to find the time to do it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The template:

<b>Team name:</b>
The name of your team or company, though be careful to abide by the faq and not mislead anybody into thinking it's a registered company if this is not true. This section is optional.

<b>Project name:</b>
Thrive

<b>Brief description:</b>
A brief overview of the project including how long it has currently been in production and a description of the genre and defining features of your game. For those with no specific project a statement of your group's goals or a mission statement can go here.

Our game aims to realistically simulate the universe, in such a way that it is interesting to the player. We offer the ability to play as an alien organism of your creation, the controller of an alien empire of your creation, and as an all-powerful god. Our game has no set genre, but is most like the game Spore. Our goal is to do what Spore failed to do, which was create a realistic evolution simulator.

<b>Target aim:</b>
We aim to create a freeware game, and continue to use open-source code. We aim to release for PC and Linux

<b>Compensation:</b>
We have no budget as a group, our compensation is in creating something we can be proud of.

<b>Technology:</b>
We are currently programming in C++ with lua embedded. We are looking to release for PC and linux systems. Our game is made from scratch, without any separate engines embedded as of yet.

<b>Talent needed:</b>
List the people you need, their expected tasks and any experience needed.

<b>Team structure:</b>

I want at least three people to do a few sentence write-up about themselves, plus one from Bashi, Alaska, Poisson, and myself if possible.

<b>Website:</b>
Link to your website, even if it's a work-in-progress. Use html tags to make it a clicky link. If you don't have a website you may leave this section out, but it is recommended particularly for larger projects that you set up something.

https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/

<b>Contacts:</b>
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/

<b>Previous Work by Team:</b>
none <unless someone can provide any information about their previous experience>

<b>Additional Info:</b>
Anything else you want to say, snippets of the story/design, screenshots, etc. This section is optional but strongly recommended, most people should be able to think of something.

<b>Feedback:</b>
ANY

That's the template. If you want to have a go at it, be my guest.
[b]
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Okay... It so happened that on the BioShock forums, one guy said he could sorta code. I sent him a PM, mentioning that I was on a game development project, and that we could use coders. He said that he wasn't a great coder- that he coded once, but there were plenty of errors, and he asked what the game was about. I told him, and he said it sounded awesome. Then we got to talking about setting up an ad there in the forum's Off Topic section. Though he said he won't join right now, due to college ect., I am pretty sure most people would think it's awesome as well.

Anywho, we should make an ad specifically geared toward this forum. Remember, it's not just a BioShock forum- it also houses Mafia II's forum (but it's a god-damned warzone), Civilization's forums, and X-COM's forum (but that's also a warzone right now...)

I'll also have to contact the forum's head manager for approval. I think any ad-post could be mistaken for a spambot, unless given a heads-up, and I don't know their policy on advertising, though I've seen people advertise non-game stuff before... just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
Okay... It so happened that on the BioShock forums, one guy said he could sorta code. I sent him a PM, mentioning that I was on a game development project, and that we could use coders. He said that he wasn't a great coder- that he coded once, but there were plenty of errors, and he asked what the game was about. I told him, and he said it sounded awesome. Then we got to talking about setting up an ad there in the forum's Off Topic section. Though he said he won't join right now, due to college ect., I am pretty sure most people would think it's awesome as well.

Anywho, we should make an ad specifically geared toward this forum. Remember, it's not just a BioShock forum- it also houses Mafia II's forum (but it's a god-damned warzone), Civilization's forums, and X-COM's forum (but that's also a warzone right now...)

I'll also have to contact the forum's head manager for approval. I think any ad-post could be mistaken for a spambot, unless given a heads-up, and I don't know their policy on advertising, though I've seen people advertise non-game stuff before... just to be safe.
If you think you can manage it, I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 pm

~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:

If you think you can manage it, I say go for it.

Okay. I'll try to contact the manager. She'll likely say yes, but who knows?
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry for the bump. The manager still hasn't replied. Belgium you, Penny Arcade Expo...

Now, I've been thinking... should I just set up the thread, and if they don't like it they can just delete it?
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Go for it

Maybe I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 7:56 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Go for it

Maybe I'm wrong.

The worst they'd do is give an infraction. And I seriously doubt they would. They hardly ever give out infractions.

EDIT: Setting up advertisement.

Thread title: Thrive, a Video Game Project That Could Use Some Help! (NOT A SPAMBOT! >_<)

Hey guys! I've been on this game-development project for over a year now. (Blackout, you'd know what I'm talking about!) I thougt it was really cool, and maybe you will too. We could use any help we can get, and it'd be cool to see some more BioShockers than me over there! :p Anyhow, take a look at the formal advertisement we've got set up. If you dislike the themes of the game, that's fine, that's your personal thing. It's just a game. Now, I sent Liz a PM asking if I could make this ad here, but she never replied, so I figured "to heck with it!" and, here you are. If this is against forum rules, that's okay- take it down if you must. Anyway, here it is:

Thrive is a game about the universe- It has no definite goals, no story, no characters. What Thrive has is life.
In thrive you will control one or many organisms, controlling them as individuals, groups, nations, and empires. You will build around you a universe full of wonder, beauty, complexity, and life. And you will Thrive there. Whether you choose to play for eternity as a single cell, or to become a ruling species, building empires and technology you have never dreamed of, Thrive will reward you.

Thrive is built upon one of the simplest constants in the universe- change. In thrive, everything around you will be constantly changing- mountains being thrown up by the force of tectonic collisions, meteors crashing to the ground, rivers carving deep canyons in their wake. But the most important thing in Thrive is life's most basic mechanism for change- Evolution. As an organism you will evolve, and the others around you will evolve as well. Once sapience is reached, your culture, technology, and people will continue to change, through your interference, or through natural progression.

Thrive is a game about the universe, about complexity, change, and life, so how will it work? Through simplicity and science. Thrive has realistic goals, and our development team knows the limits of computers today, and wants to make a realistic game with realistic requirements. It will be a messy process, but one that will end in achievement. Please join us in our journey to create the most awe-inspiring software you have ever seen.

Our game probably seems to you like the game Spore, and that's good, because Spore inspired most of our team to create this game. We were disappointed with the approach spore took to the idea of an evolution-sim, and thought we could do better. The project has gone through a few incarnations, but we have arrived now at what seems to be a good base point: we have a lot of the concept down for how the game will work, how it will play, and how it will look. In this stage of development, we are ready to start building.

How does our game work?

First, we have the different modes of gameplay. These take you through the game however you want, whether you wish to Reign fiery death upon your creatures, or simply sit back and watch a beautiful alien planet grow and flourish.

Organism Mode: You play as and completely control one member of your species. It is like Spore's "Creature" Stage, except it can be played at any time. It can be viewed from the 1st or 3rd person, and you can play as anyone you want. Office worker? Done. King? Done. Warrior? Done. You would be able to control this alien's life from start to finish.

-Strategy Mode: Much like an RTS. You are able to manage and control the faction of your choosing, and do whatever the heck you want with it. You can set out to make your entire country rich, conquer the world (or the galaxy), or try to keep relations good with other countries. You can completely set up the way your government treats its civilians: are they free? Are they slaves? Do they just run wild? How much freedom do they have with their money- what religions can they have?

-Observation Mode: Perfect for making machinima, this mode is where you can simply move your camera about the world, and look at everything. You can, of course, take pictures or make movies in this mode.

-God Tools: a panel of tools that will let you alter the universe around you. You can spawn mountains with it, summon asteroids, destroy worlds- anything.

How will the player be able to change things in their universe?

The player will have access to a number of editors in which they can create just about anything- single-celled parasites and other tiny organisms in the microbe editor; gigantic plants and animals, even plant/animal hybrids in the organism editor; spaceships, vehicles, cities, buildings, weapons, wristwatches, and any other technology in the universe in the tech editor; and entire planets, including both rocky and gas bodies, in the planet editor.

All of these are designed to give as much freedom as possible to the player- in the end, the only restriction on the game will be the laws of physics themselves, and even they can be defied using god tools.

Right now, the first component of our game, the Organism editor, is being coded by our lead programmer. Despite his great abilities, we still need more programmers, and we hope to draw in anyone with programming skills.

People we need:
Programmers
Graphic artists
3D modelers
Legal advisors
Scientific advisors
Composers
Sound engineers
Promoters
Anyone with great ideas!

Please take time to visit our forums and see if you can help us.
[URL= https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/forum.htm]Thrive Development Forums[/URL]

Last edited by InvaderZim on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roadkillguy
Experienced
roadkillguy

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Go for it.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm

It's up!

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1094170#post1094170
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Good work, Zim.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Good work, Zim.

Thank you. ^_^ Already one new member, FtRapture. The only reason I bothered without that PM response is because people have already advertised similar things (one guy was advertising a YouTube video he made for a contest) and the latest Dev Blog.

(HEY FtRapture! If you're reading this, hai. Team Coco FTW!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum   Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ad to Be Put on a Game Forum
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next