Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
HI, I am Alduin2013 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

HI, I am Alduin2013

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

HI, I am Alduin2013 Empty
PostSubject: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Im not a programmer, but i can come up with many great ideas.
im good at biology, so i am familiar with evolution. I have a feeling that i will enjoy this game.
When the game is finished ill post youtube vids as invitations to play as well as advertisements.
but first.... i need a name for my evolving organism.
i was thinking thriveosaurus (think willosaur from spore beta), but I want some ideas

hobbies:
i enjoy video games, reading, computer time, evolution sims
favorite games: kingdom hearts, monster hunter, pokemon
movies: godzilla, resident evil, gamera,ect.

please reply
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Welcome.

Call it Ferrothorn, after the unbeatable titan!
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Hmmm. i dont know.   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I was thinking like something epic like reshiram or zekrom, or mabye even groudon or kyogre, or even deoxys or giratina. but if i was to do a monster hunter based creature, i would probaly do a rathalos or a deviljho, or even a plesioth. if i was to do a creature based on godzilla i would do a godzilla like creature or even a gyaos from gamera the gaurdian of the universe, although ferrothorn may not be a bad idea, im just worried i may not be able to do a creature that climbs.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: scratch that   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 1:40 pm

im just worried about the shape of the creature
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

if the game gets finished, you can gurantee that i will play it and post videos about it.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:49 pm

alduin2013 wrote:
I was thinking like something epic like reshiram or zekrom, or mabye even groudon or kyogre, or even deoxys or giratina. but if i was to do a monster hunter based creature, i would probaly do a rathalos or a deviljho, or even a plesioth. if i was to do a creature based on godzilla i would do a godzilla like creature or even a gyaos from gamera the gaurdian of the universe, although ferrothorn may not be a bad idea, im just worried i may not be able to do a creature that climbs.

Why do you keep coming up with names from pokemon and other games? A better name would be one you made up.

About climbing:
If you look at how terrain is procedurally generated, nothing that is climmable is generated. Only plains and slopes. Even creating caves will be hard, as they need to be generated separedly. You can think of this kind of terrain like the one is used in Wow. Anyway, if you mean climbing trees, it should be possible, althrough it will be hard to code.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Welcome to Thrive alduin!
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: I have now made 7 possible names for my Organism (# is subject to change)   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:33 am

Here, take a vote (couldn't find a poll function here)

1) Thriveosaurus
2) Thriveose (thriv-EE-ohse)
3) Dark stalkers
4) Evolveon
5) Alduinosaurus
6) Trivesapien
7) Alduineon
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: My concept creature   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 am

Name: Thrivojho ([i]thrivojhotus thrivius[/i])

Based on: the deviljho from monster hunter 3 tri

Homeworld: Murdarous III, a planet that orbits a star named Murdarous beta, a star that is similar to sol. Murdarous III, has an atmosphere that is similar to the Carbonoferious period earth, where O2 levels were twice as they were today.

Biology: The Thrivojho is a larg, reptillian creature that looks kind of like a T.rex on steroids, reaching as big as the dinosaur mentioned. it is an omnivore, but it prefers meat over plants every time, only feeding on plants when prey is scarce. It's chin has teeth like structures growing out of it, which it uses as a crude shovel, to make a "sleeping pit", where it can sleep after devouring a meal. It is an apex predator, top of the food chain, it eats whatever it wants, because it can! It won' pass up the opportunity to scavenge,however, and will drive away the original killers of the carcass, along with any scavengers. Theres no reason to compete with such a brute of nature. They are not above cannabilism when given the chance.

They live mainly in grasslands, forests, and deserts, but will settle for whatever habitat it finds itself in, provided there is enough prey to choose from, and as long as it can sustain its hunger, since they are actually nomadic, and have no specific territory of their own, as they are always on the search for food. They often bear scars from previous battles with other creatures, but this is usually just from the said attackers defending their turf.

They reproduce sexually, as both males and females are needed. Males are larger than the female, and often battle with each other to have the right to mate with the female. These battles are often bloody, and at least one male will be wounded, sometimes with fatal results. The female lays eggs, usually up to 7 eggs per clutch, in sand, to incubate the eggs. The mother wont take care of her young, but thats not a problem, since the youngsters are hardwired by instinct to hunt for themselves the moment they are born.

Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm going to be blunt here, so you get the message. This post completely unnecessary and off topic from a development forum. Please try and contribute towards the development of the game, instead of brainstorming names and writing descriptions for a fictional creature for a game that doesnt even exist yet and wont exist with this OT posting.

EDIT: Btw, it wasn't me who down voted you, I understand you're excitement for the game.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: @ NickTheNick   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

Ok ok. ill try to keep my excitement under control.
Ill just make my creatures in my documents instead of the forum.
i think, when i go to colledge, ill learn C++ so i can contribute by more than brainstorming.
Brb
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Why do people not like me?   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 pm

my reputation has gone down to -3. NEGATIVE THREE! am i hated by everyone? or am I not contributeing enough? Are my ideas hated? I know this might not be revelent to the game, buti feel unapreciated( if thats how you spell it). I mean seriously, You people are lucky that I, among other people, had even heard of this forum. I may learn some programming, but even then, i wont be any good until a long time. Im going to be off for a week. im sorry, but i just feel like im being veiwed as a nuisence, when im only trying to help
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:46 pm

alduin2013 wrote:
my reputation has gone down to -3. NEGATIVE THREE! am i hated by everyone? or am I not contributeing enough? Are my ideas hated? I know this might not be revelent to the game, buti feel unapreciated( if thats how you spell it). I mean seriously, You people are lucky that I, among other people, had even heard of this forum. I may learn some programming, but even then, i wont be any good until a long time. Im going to be off for a week. im sorry, but i just feel like im being veiwed as a nuisence, when im only trying to help
From my experience, reputation really doesn't show anything - Danferrito and NickTheNick currently have a lower reputation than me, but unlike me they have recently been making an incredible amount of progress in getting things done, and, in my opinion, deserve to have the highest reputations out of all of us. Personally, I scarcely use the reputation system, and it's most likely the same for quite a few other members, too, so I can safely say it doesn't reflect the views of all of us. While I can't speak for everyone here, I encourage you to visit and post as often as you like, even if it's just for the intelligent conversation.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Thanks theUteen   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks. that actually makes me feel better. in have a feeling that we will get along very well.

by the way, do you think its possible to add a function to release a chemical spray to repel predators? (think bombedeir beetle)
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

I believe yes, some kind of toxin spitter is possible, as developing some kind of toxins seems to be quite normal in nature, and the step of spiting it isn't much bigger. However, it is secondary.

Dont worry about the reputation too much. However, as NickTheNick pointed out, dont go too offtopic either.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm

The Uteen wrote:
From my experience, reputation really doesn't show anything - Danferrito and NickTheNick currently have a lower reputation than me, but unlike me they have recently been making an incredible amount of progress in getting things done, and, in my opinion, deserve to have the highest reputations out of all of us. Personally, I scarcely use the reputation system, and it's most likely the same for quite a few other members, too, so I can safely say it doesn't reflect the views of all of us. While I can't speak for everyone here, I encourage you to visit and post as often as you like, even if it's just for the intelligent conversation.

What he said.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: FOR THE MICROBE STAGE   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I was thinking about things for the microbe stage.

how will the cell look at the beginning of the stage? would we have a prokaryote like cell that can eventually evolve into an eukaryote?

what will the determined habitat be? a black smoker? primordial ooze?

how will the cell find "food"/ and how will it consume the said "food" will it have jaw like structures, or will it have to engulf it?

how will the player be able to edit the cell and how far can he/she go while doing so?

how will the game determine if you can go from microbe to multicellular stage? and what will the cell look like when it does? like a sponge?(the one that lives in the ocean, not the bathroom sponge).

will we be able to implement a way to make structures in the editor and how they work?
for example, could i turn a pair of cillia into jaw like appendages to capture prey?

im just thinkink outside the box, since when you are dealing with the possibilities of evolution, you need to think outside the box.

Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Read this and this.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:35 pm

alduin2013 wrote:
I was thinking about things for the microbe stage.

how will the cell look at the beginning of the stage? would we have a prokaryote like cell that can eventually evolve into an eukaryote? Exactly

what will the determined habitat be? a black smoker? primordial ooze? Primordial ooze, I believe

how will the cell find "food"/ and how will it consume the said "food" will it have jaw like structures, or will it have to engulf it? As cells dont have much senses, we will cheat and show the player their surroundings in a top-down view, like watching it from a miscroscope. Like spore. However, we wont put jaws into the cells. Cells usually eat by absorbing nutrients trough their surface

how will the player be able to edit the cell and how far can he/she go while doing so? Probably in a similar way you can do it in spore, althrough we will center a lot in organelles

how will the game determine if you can go from microbe to multicellular stage? and what will the cell look like when it does? like a sponge?(the one that lives in the ocean, not the bathroom sponge). Once the group of cells reaches some amount. Which amount? Some. Probably once the cells start specialyzing into diferent tasks

will we be able to implement a way to make structures in the editor and how they work?
for example, could i turn a pair of cillia into jaw like appendages to capture prey? Probably?

im just thinkink outside the box, since when you are dealing with the possibilities of evolution, you need to think outside the box. Yes, when dealing with evolution you have to think outside the box, but with computers its the oposite. You program the box, and everything outside of it is not possible. You can expand the box, but that takes effort, and as with life, there is a balance between what you implement and what you just scrap

By the way, this random bugs and questions that dont deserve their own thread should go into the "Random bugs and questions that dond deserve their own thread thread" thread. Also, most of what you asked has alredy been answered.

PD: Nick was faster than me. Apart from the post he sugested, you could also check this one. Also, the first link in his signature is worth reading.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Daniferrito wrote:
Apart from the post he sugested, you could also check this one.

That is the first one I suggested.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: well, what about these ideas for future reference?   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Blob like organisms, similar to slime-molds? personally, i think this could be done in a future expansion. the blobs can change shape to mimic a prey item's food source, or make fruiting bodies to reproduce.

a tool that can morph a part and change it's function, say, a fin becomes a leg, or a tail's tip becomes a grasping appendage?

parthenogenesis- mating with another species, but make a "clone" of your own species(like the asari from mass effect), or use the said species DNA to further your own evolution.(like the tyrannids from Warhammer 40k)

silicon based life?

extendable jaws (like a fish's)

camouflage- turn invisible to prey by blending into the environment

Asexual reproduction?

Hermaphrodites( organisms who are both male and female)
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 pm

alduin2013 wrote:
Blob like organisms, similar to slime-molds? personally, i think this could be done in a future expansion. the blobs can change shape to mimic a prey item's food source, or make fruiting bodies to reproduce. how could the computer decide if the creature looks like some other thing, or that the creature is able to do so? How could a species like that reallistically evolve? And why do you keep saying "expansion"?

a tool that can morph a part and change it's function, say, a fin becomes a leg, or a tail's tip becomes a grasping appendage? Why not better have a leg-fin that can work for both functions, like most amphibious animals.

parthenogenesis- mating with another species, but make a "clone" of your own species(like the asari from mass effect), or use the said species DNA to further your own evolution.(like the tyrannids from Warhammer 40k) Once your species reaches advanced dna manipulation, and if they are willing to do so, maybe. I dont think there is any way that thing could happen IRL. parthenogenesis doesent relate at all to what you explained

silicon based life? second post here, althrough it has been brought up many many times.

extendable jaws (like a fish's)

camouflage- turn invisible to prey by blending into the environment here

Asexual reproduction?

Hermaphrodites( organisms who are both male and female) Of course to both, as they are the most basic way of reproducing
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 am

[quote="Daniferrito"][quote="alduin2013"]Blob like organisms, similar to slime-molds? personally, i think this could be done in a future expansion. the blobs can change shape to mimic a prey item's food source, or make fruiting bodies to reproduce. [color=orange]how could the computer decide if the creature looks like some other thing, or that the creature is able to do so? How could a species like that reallistically evolve?

see what i mean by slime molds [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_mold]here[/url]

They can change shape and move, yet they can still evolve.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am

The problem with that is that the blobs are not really organisms, but colonies of many individual cells. All cells can do everything, which could seem good at first glance, but it just means ther is not any specialization, wich means no organs. Without organs, respiration and eating has to be done through the skin, which limits size a lot (biggest slime mold is 10g). It also means not any kind of brain, so everything has to be done by very basic instincts, like moving towars what seems food (as they do). They can't have muscles too.

Even if we overlooked that things, the programming problem is still there. Its the same problem of deciding if a creature looks like a rabit or not.
Back to top Go down
alduin2013
Newcomer
alduin2013

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 12:01 pm

[quote="Daniferrito"]The problem with that is that the blobs are not really organisms, but colonies of many individual cells. All cells can do everything, which could seem good at first glance, but it just means ther is not any specialization, wich means no organs. Without organs, respiration and eating has to be done through the skin, which limits size a lot (biggest slime mold is 10g). It also means not any kind of brain, so everything has to be done by very basic instincts, like moving towars what seems food (as they do). They can't have muscles too.

Even if we overlooked that things, the programming problem is still there. Its the same problem of deciding if a creature looks like a rabit or not.[/quote]

oh....

well i just thought of the blob because i was thinking of the slithersucker from future is wild, which i beleive would be great for me to base my creatures on. have you ever watched it? if not, you can get it on ebay, all 3 seasons. eitheer ebay or amazon. i liked the part where the flish (a litteral flying fish) got caught into the slithersuckers sticky "body".

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HI, I am Alduin2013   HI, I am Alduin2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

HI, I am Alduin2013
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next