Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Building Microbe Stage

Go down 
+24
penumbra espinosa
Dalroc
PortalFan1000
FalmerbloodElixir
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
Thriving Cheese
Oliveriver
DesertBeagle
hypoxanthine
untrustedlife
Atrox
WJacobC
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Seregon
Nimbal
Bed_Invader
Tritium
TropicalMammoth
The Uteen
~sciocont
PTFace
Daniferrito
NickTheNick
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 10:48 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
I would just like to ask, I never saw anywhere how the effects of the agents you produce will be decided. Will it be procedural? Customizable? Will the effects of the agents you secrete evolve as you do? If it does evolve, is it independent of you or do you control its progression?
You can modify agents in the editor through the behavior tab. Basically, you pick what it does, and how well it does it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 11:06 pm

And do you have access to all of the effects right away? Are there limits to the magnitude of the effects? Is there anything stopping the player from customizing an agent that decreases mitochondria efficiency in a hostile cell by 100% (which seems pretty overpowered)?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:02 am

NickTheNick wrote:
And do you have access to all of the effects right away? Are there limits to the magnitude of the effects? Is there anything stopping the player from customizing an agent that decreases mitochondria efficiency in a hostile cell by 100% (which seems pretty overpowered)?
You don't have access to everything right away. What's initially available to you has a random effect and low efficiency. There is a cap on how efficiently the organelle does its job.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 am

Then we'll have to decide how does the effects work:

• What effects are possible
  • How and how much do they scale
  • What is avaible for diferent species and how do they unlock new effects
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am

Sounds like a reason to create  a new thread.
If I have permission?

---
edit just realized this is my two hundredth post. Yea, I am a regular.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 am

Go ahead. It does seem to me like something that will need some discusion and polishing.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 am

There were still gaps in the concept that Nimbal pointed some time ago, about movement and organelle unlocking. Did it reach a conclusion? I would still like to say that the finding new parts is a bad idea we've already seen it in Spore. It's not only biologically incorrect but provides bad gameplay too, unlocking organelles mutation points is far better, gives a strategy element deciding witch upgrades to acquire to get to what specialization at the end, would it be super fast microbe with 5 flagellum and cilia all around it, would it be a killer cell producing deadly toxins or a tank with a thick cellular wall. I think that the game should encourage the players to think how to survive not to encourage them to swim around looking for parts. Except mitochondria and chloroplast still acquired from the environment.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 am

I think a combination of the two would be best, because although unlocking encourages a more strategic approach, endocytosis encourages the player to explore, compete, and be adventurous, and as a result rewards them with new organelles for the risks they faced.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 am

A combination of the two? You mean, the player can acquire organelles both by unlocking and endocytosis? Or do you have something else on your mind?
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 am

I know i'm changing the subject again and in the initial release there won't be auto-evo implemented but i can't find a thread about it. So here's whats on my mind, new game is started all the microbes are almost the same in the begging different only a little to color, shape and size. These attributes are randomly generated and every species has a population saved as integer, when a microbe is rendered and the player kills it the integer is reduces by 1 and saved again, when the integer reaches 0 the species is extinct but the player does not receive a message or anything just stops encountering that types of microbes. The AI microbes evolve every 10 minutes, their population integer is increased +1, at first only gaining volume so they have space for organelles later on, then start upgrading and unlocking new organelles randomly.
Every new game the environment has different properties pH, viscosity, balance of compunds etc. So AI microbes evolving aerobic feeding in game where oxygen is a scarce for instance would be less successful that ones evolving anaerobic. They would be dying more often and would eventually get extinct.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am

Tritium wrote:
I know i'm changing the subject again and in the initial release there won't be auto-evo implemented but i can't find a thread about it. So here's whats on my mind, new game is started all the microbes are almost the same in the begging different only a little to color, shape and size. These attributes are randomly generated and every species has a population saved as integer, when a microbe is rendered and the player kills it the integer is reduces by 1 and saved again, when the integer reaches 0 the species is extinct but the player does not receive a message or anything just stops encountering that types of microbes. The AI microbes evolve every 10 minutes, their population integer is increased +1, at first only gaining volume so they have space for organelles later on, then start upgrading and unlocking new organelles randomly.
Every new game the environment has different properties pH, viscosity, balance of compunds etc. So AI microbes evolving aerobic feeding in game where oxygen is a scarce for instance would be less successful that ones evolving anaerobic. They would be dying more often and would eventually get extinct.

There's a HUGE (and amazing) post about Auto-Evo which basically outlines everything about how it's going to work here (second post down): https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t933p60-population-dynamics . Your ideas about the starting position and differing conditions don't contradict this and actually sound quite good, so they'll probably be implemented too.

Sorry for detracting from the current discussion. Resume as you wish.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Tarpy wrote:
A combination of the two? You mean, the player can acquire organelles both by unlocking and endocytosis? Or do you have something else on your mind?

I mean some are obtained by endocytosis and others by mutation. I just noticed, however, that I had missed part of Tritium's post that said mitochondria and chloroplasts/thermoplasts be obtained by endocytosis, so I agree with what he said. That is actually the current concept on the topic.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Well, for just changing shape can't a simple GUI button somewhere "move hex cell" do the work or some hot-key?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I think a click and drag of hexes could work.

Last edited by NickTheNick on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Tritium wrote:
Well, for just changing shape can't a simple GUI button somewhere "move hex cell" do the work or some hot-key?
I'm in with this idea. Select a tool to rearrange hexes instead of delete or create them.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 pm

I feel clicking and dragging would be the simplest and most intuitive route, instead of adding another button for something most people will attempt click and drag anyway.

As a sidenote, I think it would be good to have a right-click delete a hexagon, so you can either right/left click or click and drag to build out your cell without moving back and forth from a sidebar.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:53 am

That sounds good. So long as there are no objections, I think we should go with that.

EDIT: Btw, nice avatar pic.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 7:00 am

The problem with that system is you could go from something like this:

Spoiler:

to something like this:

Spoiler:

in only one generation - there are the same number of cell shape hexes in each. This was one of Spore's main problems: you could end up with a completely different creature to the one you started with, which is not how evolution works.

Maybe we should wait until we have something programmed and test both systems. We may not be able to visualise what would happen without it actually being implemented into the game.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 am

Oliveriver is right maybe we don't need movable hex cells to change shape, adding and deleting cells would cost MP and changes to shape would be gradual.
Back to top Go down
FalmerbloodElixir
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Movable hex cells should be kept, in my opinion. I think an idea that might work would be that if you move a hex cell to an adjacent, empty cell, it doesn't cost any MP. However, if you move it any further than that, it will cost MP.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 2:54 pm

FalmerbloodElixir wrote:
Movable hex cells should be kept, in my opinion. I think an idea that might work would be that if you move a hex cell to an adjacent, empty cell, it doesn't cost any MP. However, if you move it any further than that, it will cost MP.
This doesn't stop Oliver's situation from happening, it just makes it more difficult to do.
I'm leaning towards all hex movement having a cost or limiting the number of swaps possible.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:15 pm

How about 2 MP to add or delete a hex, but 1 MP to move one?
Back to top Go down
FalmerbloodElixir
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:24 pm

~sciocont wrote:
FalmerbloodElixir wrote:
This doesn't stop Oliver's situation from happening, it just makes it more difficult to do.
I'm leaning towards all hex movement having a cost or limiting the number of swaps possible.
If you're talking about the player just moving the hex, and then moving it again in the same editing session, I think that should be fairly easy to fix (though maybe not from a programming perspective). The editor would just need to "remember" where a hex was upon the start of the editing session.
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Also, a limited number of things you can do each editor section. 25, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building Microbe Stage   Building Microbe Stage - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Building Microbe Stage
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next