Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+102
cyborghyena
The Creator
Halowraith1
Narstak
molden
amymist
NarotizaSquared
Aquos4
Gyrukilo
JackTheBlackWolf
Mazzy_M
Xazo-Tak
Epickitty
Rorsten594
pensist
MirrorMonkey2
timetraveler
jewelofleo
Falthron
Psych0Ch3f
Quasar
Armok: God of Blood
King Plorpadeus Ex
Lightning_Scarz
SuperLala
LegoHoss
Gecko
Tanglekat33
EnergyKnife
HariboTer
the froggy ninja
crovea
Linker90X
EVanimations
Evol4fire
TriggzSP
ByterranEmpire
Totemaster
Exploronaut
Jeklig
NuklearSerpent
masternetra
spacetime_dinosaur
Y. Guillemot
ThePoisonchocolate
leila777
ccarriel
Invader
ThreeCubed
meldebious
PropTheRedstoner
Glow Cloud
Seregon
Mouthwash
Captain Mcderp
IAMBEOWULF
Atrox
Doggit
Dalroc
SchrodingersKitty
alonerhapsody
Cellular Dinosaur
Silver Sterling
Spacer
Synpho Death
Raptorstorm
Zeyrock
Orygandian2
AwesomeSiebren
TheFellowWithTheHat
penumbra espinosa
TheChubbyChihuahua
Shamanic W0lf
PortalFan1000
NikolaAnicic007
PerfectOrganismil
Inca
MitochondriaBox
DeanDactyl
Moterhead97
TheSmart_1
Oliveriver
ethroptur
Narnobie123
dinoman9877
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Jimexmore
WJacobC
Mixotroph
Madnesia19
Omnomnomable
Tritium
Daniferrito
~sciocont
Immortal_Dragon
untrustedlife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Thriving Cheese
Tarpy
M3rox
NickTheNick
WilliamstheJohn
106 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Ok, whatevs. :lol!: 

Honest opinion, how visceral is combat going to be, in particular reference to the aware stage. I know there is the thread on aware stage combat but I know it doesn't contain information on things like that.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm

What do you mean how visceral it will be? If you press the right buttons, your organism will bite, slash, or whatever else it is able to do. Most fights will end quickly as in nature. There's not much to it.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 7:42 pm

I am talking about things like blood and gore, how torn up can things get, my guess is something like a nature documentary, a balance between the two which is not too extreme but still has a sense of ouch.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 7:51 pm

There will be blood. Body parts can get bloody when damaged. Refer to the Walking With... series for levels of blood and gore.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Ok, I know I watched the one about life before the dinosaurs once before, and I know this means close to nil, but that level of carnage has my seal of approval!

EDIT: Wait, what about tearing limbs off for eating or combat, I probably already know the answer to this one, but I'll pose the question anyway.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 10:13 pm

In combat probably not, for eating when dead probably yes.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am

I have a question/idea concerning the space stage. In Spore, your spaceship would travel from planet to planet in straight lines, whereas in real life such an act would require an extremely powerful engine or would be impossible. I suggest we have the AI plan a ship's route to a designated location using orbital velocity changes and gravity slingshots to get there in the most efficient way possible. It would be similar to KSP, except all the burns would be automated. While I'm on this subject, I'd also like to request that your ship's design changes its fuel efficiency. Spore's spaceships all used the same amount of fuel unless you had upgrades, whereas this way a player would have to think about the design of their craft (again, similar to KSP).
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
I have a question/idea concerning the space stage. In Spore, your spaceship would travel from planet to planet in straight lines, whereas in real life such an act would require an extremely powerful engine or would be impossible. I suggest we have the AI plan a ship's route to a designated location using orbital velocity changes and gravity slingshots to get there in the most efficient way possible. It would be similar to KSP, except all the burns would be automated. While I'm on this subject, I'd also like to request that your ship's design changes its fuel efficiency. Spore's spaceships all used the same amount of fuel unless you had upgrades, whereas this way a player would have to think about the design of their craft (again, similar to KSP).
Seconded

EDIT: Wait, then what about the FTL drives, wouldn't they just be able to travel in a straight line?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes, warp drives would use straight lines (unless in the influence of black holes or something).

Just as proof of concept, here are two images showing how the screen would look when using regular fuel and warp drive with the automated route planning system. Not very neat or impressive, I know, but they do demonstrate what I'm talking about.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
No offense, but an AI that could do something like that hasn't even been invented (or so I think, maybe it has, not sure), and even if it was, it would take so much time and effort to implement that it probably wouldn't even be worth it.

I know it's not realistic, but we should just let the ships fly in a straight line. We don't have to have absolute realism, it is a game after all and besides, if we took absolute realism the player would have to wait 100 000 years for his creature to evolve.

I didn't want to sound rude or anything by saying this, it is just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, the process could be sped up so it doesn't take 100,000 years. Between those two concepts, I won't be bothered in my gaming opinion as Thrive will be cool enough in the other stages as well.

While I am at it, I found a thread by Commander Keen (I think it was) about implementing behaviors like wolf packs teamwork and other group behaviors, has there been some kind of decision on that or is it still up for discussion?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 pm

The Behaviour Editor will be discussed soon enough.

EDIT: Good point on that Tarpy.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Ok, with the "Big Three" FTL technologies, how much freedom would there be in making TOs with these techs.

Like say, using a Warp Drive to create a "Warp Sled" for smaller ships to use, or Wormhole Generator Gates to allow ships that can't support the generator to travel (the way my thoughts go is through power requirements, larger capital ship class ships would be able to mount the generators on their own).

This is of course taking into account the planned freedom of the TE.

Now, I know that the idea of a neural network like in Avatar was shot down, but what about an artificial network created through technology, what is the feasibility of that?

Hmm, line break doesn't seem to be working.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:

Now, I know that the idea of a neural network like in Avatar was shot down, but what about an artificial network created through technology, what is the feasibility of that?
I've not watched Avatar in ages, could explain this a bit more?
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

In Avatar, the Na'vi (big, blue, cat-like people) had long strands of neural tissue in their braids. By connecting these with the same projections on the wildlife and even plants, they could tune into the senses of animals or the planet itself. It was this network that supposedly made the ending, with all of the animals of the planet attacking the humans.

The idea of this evolving was pretty much shot down, as it would leave an organism vulnerable and would only be probably be limited to the player's species if it was implemented. (AI wouldn't make the same choice)

What I am talking about is making something like a network using something like fiber optics that are plugged into brain implants, and from there into ports on other objects or other people's cords. Or even something like a wireless network, using evidence from a Star Wars book, a race had made transmitters that plugged into their heads, and when one plugged another's into them, they could feel the other person's emotions. This would of course require cybernetics research, but would be kind of cool in terms of communication.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

Ah right, I see. And what benefit would this have in game, like what gameplay impact would it have?
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:44 am

What about a bonus to Stability, being able to innately empathize with others would be a big help in that regard. Or diplomacy bonuses. Or a slight management bonus, not sure about that one. I can't really see a Happiness bonus from this kind of technology.

If I think of anything else I'll edit it into this post.

• A bonus to Research since the scientists can literally share their brainpower

• (Possibly) a bonus to Production through the enhanced coordination

Mind you, this is a list of possible effects, and I'm only thinking small bonuses like 3-4%.
Back to top Go down
ccarriel
Newcomer
ccarriel

PostSubject: Other effects   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 am

Also, that kind of telepaty could have other effects (maybe disadvantages), for example, given the fact that people share thinks, maybe they would have troubles when its about making a new ideology or religion (mass thinking vs one`s will = goodbye will).
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 am

Good point Carlos, maybe this tech lowers the conversion power of all present religions, say by .5? And could lower the chances of a new religion spawning?
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am

Yeah that makes sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 am

Ok, so what is the feasibility of this idea, now that some possible effects have been kind of discussed?
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am

I think its feasable, as it doesn't change the game itself too much, just applies some modifiers here and there. I think we should take it to its own thread to work out.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Cool.

EDIT: Um, what would be the protocol for setting up that thread?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 am

Wait a second, I'm sorry, but I haven't been as active recently. What is it you want to make a new thread on?

So a new tech regarding cybernetics/mind uploading? I'm pretty sure there is already a tech on that, and as you said it would just give small bonuses across the board (until we can think of something better). However, I disagree that it would cause a decrease in religious conversion effect. What's more, penalizing all religion conversion strengths by 0.5 actually has no effect, because conversion strength is relative to the other religion's conversion strengths.

EDIT: So in conclusion what I was getting at was that I don't think it needs its own thread. It's something that is already basically covered and can be discusses again when programmers start adding the techs to the tech tree.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Fair enough Nick, fair enough. Wasn't going to touch anything until there was something like that kind of approval.

The religions thing was a small bit of forgetfulness on my part. It is after all just another way a player could possibly personalize their species in the end, make them unique.

And just because one part of my brain wants to defend the uniqueness of the thing (sorry :oops: ), I see it as more like an artificial collective consciousness (or hive mind), than mind uploading. I made the references to Avatar for a reason.

EDIT: Or it really could just be a manipulation of cybernetics in the TE.

EDIT the 2nd: I thought of something, what about implementing vehicles that can shift between modes, like a walker turning into a tank or plane, not something as drastic as Transformers. You can just press a button and the vehicle will shift between modes automatically.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next