Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Introduce me? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Introduce me? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Introduce me? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Introduce me? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Introduce me? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Introduce me? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Introduce me? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Introduce me? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Introduce me? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Introduce me? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Introduce me? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Introduce me? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Introduce me? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Introduce me? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Introduce me? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Introduce me? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Introduce me? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Introduce me? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Introduce me? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Introduce me? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Introduce me?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Thrive!

I am Meldebious, and am posting an introduction here, as it seems the thing to do. First off I'd like to say that I spent about 2-3 hours browsing the forum and site before I posted.

I love the game spore, as I have bought it twice and pirated it many more times. Today I was bored as I couldn't get Sims 1 to work right, so I started exploring the web and came across this little gem, at first it seemed under developed and sorta tossed to the side, but with a slightly closer inspection I found out that wasn't the case at all. But it was flourishing and growing quite well. I particularly enjoyed the Microbe video on ModDB. Using Hexes is a great idea, I'm glad you guys are going in that direction.

I also enjoyed the community "thrivement", its seems very friendly, diverse, and welcoming. (unless you complain or attack the community, then it quickly lashes out at you, which I think is quite acceptable)

Now about me, I am starting school this fall (an academic start, then moving on to Web_Dev) which I am excited about. I'm not sure if I have the skills you need (as everyone says this) but I do know a little. I taught my self HTML, CSS, and some JAVA. I'm played with make simple game engines such as, RPGmaker and Gamemaker. My favorite new game is Minecraft (been playing it since beta 1.4) and my favorite classic is SF2. I don't really know any C++ or more in-depth coding, but am always willing to learn.

I have a creative nitch that just can't be satisfied, as such I am always working on new ideas/games, such as PnP games, Video games, bored games, and whatever else my brain thinks would be a great idea. Maybe I could direct some of that towards this project.

I must apologize for my ramblings and poor grammar (no I'm not from a foreign country, I'm just an American).

I'll keep reading, checking, and following this great project for as long as my brain allows me. If you have an pointers or hints, or if I have said anything to offend please let me know.

-Meld-
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Welcome the to forums...Though do not get angry at me when I say that ye shall be sent to Davy Jones' locker for yer pirating. (Of video games.)

The above is a joke. Really, welcome to the forums, we need as many coders as possible. Just...don't be one of those people who will run off in a week, please. I don't feel like sending the hyenas out after someone today...:alien: 
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Welcome to Thrive meldebious!

I've spent countless hours in Minecraft, and wish I could have said the same for Spore. I'm very happy to hear you had so much initiative in reading up on the forum and the project.

It's great to hear of your experience in coding. Having more under your belt always helps with learning new languages. If you could, it would greatly help if you could learn to use C++. Another important element of the game is the 3D graphics engine Ogre. Knowledge of that would greatly help as well.

Prototypes, however, are also a great help, and that is something you don't need to know C++ for. At the moment, there is little demand for any prototypes that I know of, but as we develop and want to practice new game features, it would greatly help to have people on hand for that.

Our Github repository of code can be found here:

https://github.com/Revolutionary-Games/Thrive

That's all I can think of at the moment in terms of useful links/info for programming. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on this thread.

Great to have you on the team!
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow went to get pizza with my wife, came back and already 2 replies. That is a record in forums for me.

Thank you for the welcome (and joke) dinoman, I normally don't pirate, unless I already own (or used to own) the game, in which case I do. Or I try to find an open source copy of it (such as Openxcom). Do not worry dinoman, even If i can't directly contribute into this project, and even if it seems I'm not here I'll be around. If you ever wonder where I have gone, send me a pm or an e-mail and I should respond soon.

Thank you for the welcome Nick, it is wonderful to have someone from the staff greet you in such a timely fashion. That is a rarity on most forums.

Coding is new to me, as I have just taught myself Javascript within the last year. I tried to move on and learn some C++ using a compiler and examples online. Only spent a few days on it and didn't really get anywhere so I took a step back and messed with what I somewhat knew. I will check out the link you have posted for me and the Orge engine, but if you know or have the time to point me to where I can get my hands dirty with some C++ that would be amazing.

I am excited and thrilled to have found this "paradise" and hope I will enjoy it for many more days.

If anyone can point me to anywhere else that would be wonderful (sorry if that is very vague.)

-Meldebious Duron-
Back to top Go down
Mouthwash
Newcomer
Mouthwash

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

meldebious wrote:
Wow went to get pizza with my wife, came back and already 2 replies. That is a record in forums for me.
What forums do you go on?
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Sadly mouthwash not that many, minecraft (both offical and non-offical ones) Shiningforcecentral, some web_dev ones, a few local ones, and a couple of random ones (such as code academy) Ok so that is more than a few.

-Mel-
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 pm

meldebious wrote:
Coding is new to me, as I have just taught myself Javascript within the last year. I tried to move on and learn some C++ using a compiler and examples online. Only spent a few days on it and didn't really get anywhere so I took a step back and messed with what I somewhat knew. I will check out the link you have posted for me and the Orge engine, but if you know or have the time to point me to where I can get my hands dirty with some C++ that would be amazing.
One of my friends who works professionally as a programmer tells me the best way to learn a language, after you can grasp the basics, is to go out and use that language. Make a simple Pong game, or a calculator, or something else, without a tutorial. It greatly helped me learn scripting in Warcraft 3 World Editor.

Last edited by NickTheNick on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Thank you for the response nick, I will do that. Right now I'm watching some spoonfed C++ youtube videos, I just finished downloading a compiler ( Visual C++ 2005 express edition) and am engrossing myself within the different forum topics.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and directions.

-Meldebious-
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:45 pm

I regret not getting to this faster, but welcome to the Thrive forums. I also hope you don't prematurely leave this forum like dinoman does, but I won't set hyenas on you, I'm a much nobler reptile than that.

P.S: Just a suggestion, you don't have to follow it, but click the link in my sig, you might like it, you might not.
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Reminds me of Manowar. Thank you for the welcome Dragon. Seems like you guys have a lot of hit and run members. I've just been browsing the other topics, just read a few pages on the auto-evo, seems like you guys have a lot of great thinkers.

I feel intimated to post anything anywhere else. As my thought might either have already been brought up, are just below common sense, or just plain and stupid. which would make embarrass me and ruin the experience of Thrive for me. Any tips to overcome this? So far all I can think of is read as much as I can for now, and then down the road post my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Feel free to use this thread or the misc thread for any suggestions or ideas you want to post. No one will get angry for repeating ideas, but it's good to research a topic before posting about it.
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Well I've spent quite a lot of time in the cartoon section of Netflix, and stumbled upon Ben 10, which as you might or might not know is about boy with a device that changes him into various aliens whose DNA are stored in the device. They are many different types of aliens, some possible, others questionable.

Now I know that there will diverse life in Thrive, such as water based and plant based life. My question is: is it possible to have even more diverse life in this game? Even if just in appearance and not title/name. Such as Silicon base life? Or even firebased or non-breathing based creatures? Or other strange things thought of only in science fiction?

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information." Couldn't put a link to a picture, basically it was a picture of Diamondhead from Ben 10, who is a crystal based Intelligent humanoid life form.

One of the rules of any game is KISS (keep is simple stupid) and as such you can't add in everything you would like (at least not at first)  So I ask this question not just if these things will be added in, but if they have been thought of and just deemed not to be worried of for now. (not sure if that sentence makes sense)
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:59 pm

As long as it's within or near our realm of science, we will try to implement it. Anything that strays too far into science fiction will remain there.

All life will be carbon based for simplicity reasons, but even within that there will be great diversity.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Immortal_Dragon wrote:
I regret not getting to this faster, but welcome to the Thrive forums. I also hope you don't prematurely leave this forum like dinoman does, but I won't set hyenas on you, I'm a much nobler reptile than that.

P.S: Just a suggestion, you don't have to follow it, but click the link in my sig, you might like it, you might not.
Excuse me?! First of all, I have not prematurely left the forums...I'm still here, yes? Second of all, nobility can still have an army, even if they are dog-cat things with bone crushing jaws.

And besides, dragons can't use spears. I am evolved, you just breathe fire and sit on gold all day.

I'm sorry, the reptiles were having an argument, where were we? Oh yes!

I'm glad you did not take offense to my joke, melde, I was thinking about how much trouble I could've caused. I look forward to seeing what you can contribute to the game. :alien: 
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Yeah just been reading the different topics and forums, while also getting some set-up for C++ leaning, got a oomplier, but its kinda wonky. I'm also watching C++ spoonfed to learn a bit, while trying to download the orge engine, but alas my internet is slow and hates me. I wish I would contribute more but so many things seem over my head, I feel like a 10 year old kid at a congressman's dinner party.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Sorry dinoman, I didn't mean to imply you left prematurely, I was trying to express the same sentiments you did, but it has turned out to be badly worded. You also forget I am Immortal, there is no need for an army.

Anyhow, glad to see you're having a good time so far meldebious. Plus, the internet hates everyone I think.
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Yeah I'm glad I found this place at this time, it seems a lot of major things are happening. I'm afraid if I had found this a few months back or further, I would have left shortly as there was not as nearly much development. Its the snowball effect, once it gets going, it gets bigger and bigger, but that start is what takes the most time.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Actually, I would say it is a snowball effect merged with a wave function, because we fluctuate in activity from month to month, but over time have gained and hopefully will gain more net activity and development.
Back to top Go down
meldebious
Newcomer
meldebious

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 pm

I was most surprised at the Cell 0.2.0 Indev Demo that came out today, was not expecting that. I am glad that there is some development happening. Sadly the first 2 or 3 topics I read on here were complaining ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Introduce me? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduce me?   Introduce me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Introduce me?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved :: Applications-
Jump to: