Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Naming Critters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Naming Critters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Naming Critters Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Naming Critters Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Naming Critters Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Naming Critters Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Naming Critters Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Naming Critters Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Naming Critters Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Naming Critters Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Naming Critters Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Naming Critters Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Naming Critters Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Naming Critters Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Naming Critters Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Naming Critters Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Naming Critters Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Naming Critters Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Naming Critters Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Naming Critters Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Naming Critters

Go down 
+10
~sciocont
GalvinNerth
The Uteen
Commander Keen
GamerXA
US_of_Alaska
Pezzalis
toxiciron
Xenopologist
Tenebrarum
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Now, I'm not sure where to put this, but I had a thought. Seeing as many critters will develop entirely via auto-evo, many will not have a simple ingame name. I merely suggest that when the player comes into contact with one of these, they have the option either to give it a random name (Like Spore's random feature) or name it themselves.
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:52 pm

That makes sense. Perhaps, once the species develops language, the random name generators could be altered so that they generate random names that fall in phonetic compliance with the language of the player species?
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:58 pm

i dont even know how that could work, though
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Xenopologist wrote:
That makes sense. Perhaps, once the species develops language, the random name generators could be altered so that they generate random names that fall in phonetic compliance with the language of the player species?

I'd say yes, but many will have languages so radically different that it's kinda silly to try for just the Earth-like ones.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am

Perhaps you could even give it a scientific name and a common name...?

IE Genus species

So I come across a large shaggy herd animal (Lets say a mammoth).
I name it (Pseudo-names)
Mammothii woolius.
Common Name: Wooly Mammoth.

After a while of playing I come across an evolved version of the animal, its mush smaller and faster, and its name has changed.
IE.
Mammothii minor
Common Name: (Either generated, "morphed" or Chosen by player)
(Species name could be randomly generated but perhaps selected on variables relating to the previous name and or the traits of the species)

Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 am

I think that names should be randomly generated until the player chooses to name them. And that would allow them to rename them if they think of a new idea or learn something more important about them later. Eg, i might find a grey blob and call it "Grey Blob" then find out it tunnels, so i'd change it to "Tunneling Blobber" or something.

The player can give it a scientific name in the name box if they wish, and a nickname could just go in brackets. Eg. Mammothii Woolius (Wooly Mammoth).
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:28 am

Scientific Names should only be if the player's species that meets it has discovered Taxonomy. The Taxonomic methods of categorization would also be different for different sapient species.
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 am

GamerXA wrote:
Scientific Names should only be if the player's species that meets it has discovered Taxonomy. The Taxonomic methods of categorization would also be different for different sapient species.

But what if the player starts using the regular name field to add taxonomic information before discovering Taxonomy as a technology? Upon discovering Taxonomy, they would be at least a bit annoyed that they would have to go through and rename everything, if not also puzzled at why such a system of categorization had to be unlocked at all.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:43 am

I think that whenever player encounters new species, they add into a list of unnamed species. That list could be viewed at anytime. However, there should be an option to automatically assign random names.

Quote :
The player can give it a scientific name in the name box if they wish, and a nickname could just go in brackets. Eg. Mammothii Woolius (Wooly Mammoth).

Agree. If players want taxonomy, they can just put it in the regular name box.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I think that whenever player encounters new species, they add into a list of unnamed species. That list could be viewed at anytime. However, there should be an option to automatically assign random names.

Quote :

Agree. If players want taxonomy, they can just put it in the regular name box.

Could taxonomy allow you to view a evolution tree of every encountered species (including name. It could have pictures generated somehow, maybe like how spore generates the PNGs)
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:54 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Could taxonomy allow you to view a evolution tree of every encountered species (including name. It could have pictures generated somehow, maybe like how spore generates the PNGs)

That seems to be a better way to show taxonomy on a planet. The game will be keeping a record of evolution anyway, so making it visible to the player is only logical.

By the way, I believe the current concept is to store the associated data of every creature alongside a thumbnail PNG, the way Spore did. If that's the case, then it becomes even easier to display such an evolution tree.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Now thats a good idea.

The only thing I fear would be storing these pictures for every animal existing and for every of their ancestors, that would make your harddisk explode. Maybe having names only.

Quote :
The game will be keeping a record of evolution anyway

I hear this for the first time. Have you got any source?

Quote :
By the way, I believe the current concept is to store the associated data of every creature alongside a thumbnail PNG, the way Spore did. If that's the case, then it becomes even easier to display such an evolution tree.

Nope, .png format was discarded.
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :
The game will be keeping a record of evolution anyway

I hear this for the first time. Have you got any source?

It's inherent to the way in-game evolution would work, if I'm not mistaken. Every creature is a version of its ancestor with some details changed. As such, the game would basically be piling up a list of forerunners behind every species as it evolved.

Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :

Nope, .png format was discarded.

I must be running on an old piece of knowledge, then. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Xenopologist wrote:
It's inherent to the way in-game evolution would work, if I'm not mistaken. Every creature is a version of its ancestor with some details changed. As such, the game would basically be piling up a list of forerunners behind every species as it evolved.

Amassing all creatures ever existing would lead to huge disk space problems, we want to avoid this as much as we can.

And no worries about not being up to date, it can be sometimes hard to get wanted informations here.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Now thats a good idea.

The only thing I fear would be storing these pictures for every animal existing and for every of their ancestors, that would make your harddisk explode. Maybe having names only.
But! The game would only need to show the evolution of creatures that the player knows about, through either encounter or fossils.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
But! The game would only need to show the evolution of creatures that the player knows about, through either encounter or fossils.

Yes, but all creatures generated would still need to be stored because player might find them.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 am

Anyone know how much extra space would a small (approx 50x50, doesn't need to be big) image of each organism (maybe about 100?), alongside relevant info (like name and when they first appeared) which would be stored as text take up?

Each organism... Are we planning for plants to be on it?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Best size would be either 64x64 or 128x128. I can't decide wich one would be better, because 64 seems too small and 128 too big (filesize wise).

Also, if you plan on including every organism (animals + plants) + their ancestors (taking into account they were periodically pictured at least 8 times) would give you quite high amount of images.
Let's say there's about 200 species total. 200 * 8 = 1600 pictures for just one planet. Creative players (with God mode) might easily end up with over 100000 images.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:29 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Best size would be either 64x64 or 128x128. I can't decide wich one would be better, because 64 seems too small and 128 too big (filesize wise).

Also, if you plan on including every organism (animals + plants) + their ancestors (taking into account they were periodically pictured at least 8 times) would give you quite high amount of images.
Let's say there's about 200 species total. 200 * 8 = 1600 pictures for just one planet. Creative players (with God mode) might easily end up with over 100000 images.
That's a lot of images... Hmm... I really don't know what to do there other than ask everyone else for ideas.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 2:24 am

We should reduce the frequency that the Organisms are cataloged, reducing the image size to 32x32 would also help but...
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:05 pm

GamerXA wrote:
We should reduce the frequency that the Organisms are cataloged, reducing the image size to 32x32 would also help but...

That might end up being problematic. 32x32 doesn't show much more than a rough icon, and reducing frequency might give us pictures of totally different animals.

The truth is, if we really want pictures for ancestors, then we will most likely have to do it this way.
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm

We could make it so that pictures are only displayed for organisms the player has directly encountered. It wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it might be a start.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Xenopologist wrote:
We could make it so that pictures are only displayed for organisms the player has directly encountered. It wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it might be a start.

Yes, if you only have fossils you would know the exact shape or the colour...

If you only ever encountered a species through fossils, they would have had to have been simulated, so everything will have had to have been, incase you discover their fossil. My spidey senses are tingling... This has been said before.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Even if you want to only display ones encountered, you still have to store them on harddrive.
Back to top Go down
GalvinNerth

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Perhaps you could even give it a scientific name and a common name...?

IE Genus species

So I come across a large shaggy herd animal (Lets say a mammoth).
I name it (Pseudo-names)
Mammothii woolius.
Common Name: Wooly Mammoth.

After a while of playing I come across an evolved version of the animal, its mush smaller and faster, and its name has changed.
IE.
Mammothii minor
Common Name: (Either generated, "morphed" or Chosen by player)
(Species name could be randomly generated but perhaps selected on variables relating to the previous name and or the traits of the species)

This is a great Idea, but I think all that should be assigned is the scientific name. A common name would be something that the player would have to make for the creature when they come into contact with them. Here on Earth there are several species with out a common name, take for instance any ancient fossil or even some deep sea creatures only have a scientific name.

So yeah just have it assign a scientific name base that is used all across the universe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Naming Critters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters Empty

Back to top Go down

Naming Critters
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Game Features-
Jump to: