Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Naming Critters - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Naming Critters

Go down 
+10
~sciocont
GalvinNerth
The Uteen
Commander Keen
GamerXA
US_of_Alaska
Pezzalis
toxiciron
Xenopologist
Tenebrarum
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BastianKraft
Newcomer

Naming Critters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 5:36 pm

If im understanding you right then you would only need an extra option "Autoname selfmade stuff" (or something like that, you know what i mean) Yes or no.

And if im not understanding you right, what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 pm

BastianKraft wrote:
If im understanding you right then you would only need an extra option "Autoname selfmade stuff" (or something like that, you know what i mean) Yes or no.

And if im not understanding you right, what do you mean?
I'm saying the option that nothing gets named by this process unless:
the player creates it, but does not name it
it was created by the game for a nation other than the player's nation
it was created by the game for a planet inhabited by a nation other than the player's nation

Therefore, content is only named when it makes sense for it to have names. If you encounter an uninhabited alien planet, and all of the creatures on it already have names, you'll of course then wonder why they would have names if nothing had been there to name them. It doesn't make sense for them to have names.
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 am

now i get what you mean.

But in reality if you discover a new nation they already have a name for themselves and for everything else in thier own language. For example if you are chinese and you discover russia then you dont have names for them but they already have names. Thats why you would just take thier name for themselves and convert it into a similar word into your own language. For example Polak into Polnish. And if they have invented something that you dont already know about like they have a computer or a special food you would do the same again. You could invent a word in your own language for "schnitzel" but why because you already have the german one.

So it would be logical if only civlized creatures and thier creations have randomly generated names and maybe even only a special amount of percent of the lifeforms on planets that already have a civilisation. The random name would just simulate that you take an alien word a convert it into your own language. They wont make any sence but its a name for something that exsists you copy it in reality. Example: In english you use "Kindergarden" that came from the word "Kindergarten". The word dosent make any sence but you know what it means.

Quote :

After a certian time in the game a name Generator of some type will just make the game better from my point of view. When the first contacts with a other civlisation are made it would just be annoying if everything had no name. I mean the player could just name everything himself, but i cant imagine that most of the players are happy with that solution. And if there are just alot of nameless creatures, vehicles or whatever runnning around it would just seem less interesting.

The perfect mix would be if you could just have the options:

-letting things be named randomly with the possibility to change the name how the player likes it

or

-No names will be generated randomly and everything will be nameless but with the possibility to change the name how the player likes it.

giving the player these options adds more playability while staying simple. You could even extend the option so you can specifically choose what kind of ingame object (Species, Vehicle, and so on) shall get names generated automatically and which ones not. Its a little more additional work but not that much. It has the advantage that you can make the game give names to things that should have names like parts of a civilisation but also leave other things like plants where the name is less important stay unnamed. And maybe some players like to give animals they discover names but would like all plants to have a randomly generated one or no name.

And if the random name generation gets added as a gameplay option it would be best that the names only get generated when you "look up" the species or whenever the name gets displayed the first time to save the ~0,01% percent of the memory/processor resources the script uses.

Its just a concept but im just trying to combine playabilty and simplicity as good as possible.

Its not very unlogical but it keeps playabilty in the game. And i think more people would complain if everything were nameless instead of complaing why everything already having a names being unlogical.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 11:52 am

That's what Scio said, Bastian.

I agree that other civilizations should have names, as long as your civilisation can understand the other civ's language. If you discover a civ that was isolated from yours long, long time ago, or if it's from another planet than yours, the names should stay hidden until some research is done.

Also, each civilization should have it's own random "characteristics" in the name generator. Some civs could have lots of doubled vowels, some could have more consonants in their words, some could have quite long words and some very short, etc.

(By the way, it's funny how you chose German to defend taking words from other languages. The word "German" is "Němec" in Czech, as from "němý" (meaning "voiceless"). There are very few words of German origin in Czech despite Germans making around 30% population in the 19th century).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
That's what Scio said, Bastian.

I agree that other civilizations should have names, as long as your civilisation can understand the other civ's language. If you discover a civ that was isolated from yours long, long time ago, or if it's from another planet than yours, the names should stay hidden until some research is done.

Also, each civilization should have it's own random "characteristics" in the name generator. Some civs could have lots of doubled vowels, some could have more consonants in their words, some could have quite long words and some very short, etc.

(By the way, it's funny how you chose German to defend taking words from other languages. The word "German" is "Němec" in Czech, as from "němý" (meaning "voiceless"). There are very few words of German origin in Czech despite Germans making around 30% population in the 19th century).
We're arguing exactly the same point, bastian
And thanks for the interesting fact, keen.
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 pm

So we are sticking to the idea of the random name generation? (For more less specific ingame entitys)?

It will just be expanded with the idea that every ... lets say Planet gets its own seed so they names from the planet all sound similiar.
It will base of my random generator idea.
Name generation will On/off-able for every specific kind fo object
Everybody should look through this and tell me thier ideas

I will code it as soon the game engine has come far enough for this to get implemented.

P.S. i kinda have a hard time finding other topics to help out on
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

BastianKraft wrote:
So we are sticking to the idea of the random name generation? (For more less specific ingame entitys)?

It will just be expanded with the idea that every ... lets say Planet gets its own seed so they names from the planet all sound similiar.
It will base of my random generator idea.
Name generation will On/off-able for every specific kind fo object
Everybody should look through this and tell me thier ideas

I will code it as soon the game engine has come far enough for this to get implemented.

P.S. i kinda have a hard time finding other topics to help out on
Yeah, name generation is greenlighted. different nations should get different seeds- a seed would just be a collection of which letters they use. For instance, the Hawaiian language only has about a dozen letters in it. That's why they call the reef triggerfish the humuhumunukunukuapua'a.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

We really shouldn't call the difference in each nation's language seed, or we are going to really confuse our programmers.

That being said, it's a good idea. I don't know if my addition to it was seen, so I'll just quote myself:

Quote :

Just increase the probabilities of some and decrease chances of others. Also, only consonants should be disabled, and not more than three at once, or we'll end with very uninteresting words (the humuhumunukunukuapua'a is a pretty good example of such a word).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
We really shouldn't call the difference in each nation's language seed, or we are going to really confuse our programmers.

That being said, it's a good idea. I don't know if my addition to it was seen, so I'll just quote myself:

Quote :

Just increase the probabilities of some and decrease chances of others. Also, only consonants should be disabled, and not more than three at once, or we'll end with very uninteresting words (the humuhumunukunukuapua'a is a pretty good example of such a word).
Number of sounds in the language and word length are inversely proportional.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:42 am

~sciocont wrote:

Still, it should be a bit random. We'll need as much variety as we can get there.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Still, it should be a bit random. We'll need as much variety as we can get there.
Of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naming Critters   Naming Critters - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Naming Critters
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Game Features-
Jump to: