Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?

Go down 
+14
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Waap
fredpie
FrogEmpire
The Uteen
Albalrogue
2creator
toxiciron
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
Commander Keen
eumesmo
US_of_Alaska
Invader
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Empty
PostSubject: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 7:50 pm

So, I was playing my game earlier, and I looked at the way it evokes emotion in the player. It's the music, really, that gets you in the gut.

Anyway, I was wondering, how will we make the player show emotion whenever something terrible or great happens while playing as an organism? My solution would be what the game did and play a certain song whenever something important happens.

But then I thought of organisms that have not developed emotions. So, my solution to THAT was that until your species can feel emotion, the emotionally moving songs will not play.

EXAMPLES OF EMOTION-CAUSING EVENTS:

-Your friend, relative, or lover dies or gets terribly injured

-Your SC is under attack

-You almost fall off a cliff

-You see someone get murdered

-You kill someone

-You see a new TE (only if it is big, like seeing the first car or the first computer)
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
So, I was playing my game earlier, and I looked at the way it evokes emotion in the player. It's the music, really, that gets you in the gut.

Anyway, I was wondering, how will we make the player show emotion whenever something terrible or great happens while playing as an organism? My solution would be what the game did and play a certain song whenever something important happens.

But then I thought of organisms that have not developed emotions. So, my solution to THAT was that until your species can feel emotion, the emotionally moving songs will not play.

EXAMPLES OF EMOTION-CAUSING EVENTS:

-Your SC is under attack

-You kill someone

-You see a new TE (only if it is big, like seeing the first car or the first computer)
I kind of feel that because of the structure of our game, the player will already be very attached to their organisms and nations emotionally. I mean, they raised them from mere cells! But that said, music is a great way to evoke that extra bit of emotion in a game, movie, or any multimedia.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:24 pm

this would depend on:
a- either you are sentient or not
b- social traits
c- situation
d- society (in sapient biengs)

i think general social interactions need to be worked out first

-Your SC is under attack
depends on society and individual; fear, hatred,patriotism....

fear

depends on society and individual;

-You kill someone
situation

-You see a new TE (only if it is big, like seeing the first car or the first computer
amaze, might make the creature folow a certain path.

the emotions can be transmited with music and maybe small visual changes
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:11 pm

I know games where music played at the right time greatly enhances the feeling, but also games where silence makes a great feeling. I'm really torn.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm not too worried about this for now. Although you make a great point, I think this is something that should take the back burner untill the actual gameplay is worked out.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I'm not too worried about this for now. Although you make a great point, I think this is something that should take the back burner untill the actual gameplay is worked out.

Of course. Once we near "release", this will become more important.

@eumesmo: That's pretty much what I meant by the third paragraph of the OP, but much more detailed. Sure, I only mentioned the evolutionary side of things, but those will also be very important factors.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I know games where music played at the right time greatly enhances the feeling, but also games where silence makes a great feeling. I'm really torn.
It's all about timing
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
It's all about timing

what is, the music? or when to start playing music?
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am

toxiciron wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
It's all about timing

what is, the music? or when to start playing music?

When to have music and when to have silence. I think in org. mode there should be ambient music. Then, when a predator spots you there's silence and you realise you're in deep Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:54 am

Didn't someone in the second forum propose a similar sound system as left 4 dead?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:03 pm

2creator wrote:
When to have music and when to have silence. I think in org. mode there should be ambient music. Then, when a predator spots you there's silence and you realise you're in deep Belgium.
Ah. I can see that not working.

Every singe time a predator sees you... Wouldn't you get constant on and off music? That just wont work well...

What if you're a plant?

Thrive wrote:
There is sudden silence, as the herbivore slowly creeps up on you... You try to run, but you have no legs! Alas, the vicious herbivore eats you alive! The sad, slow, reminiscent music starts to play and you mourn your poor plant...
Player (It could be you!) wrote:
I'll never forget you! I wish I could see your beautiful leaves and mushroomy taste just one last time. Why do such cruel things have to happen to innocent plants like you!?!? I'm so sorry, there was nothing I could do... The herbivore was too fast with those incredible, evil legs! I love you, alien plant thing without a brain!

I mean, :roll:!

(MEGA roflmao! Strange, creepy player guy person.)
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Which begs the question, how will you survive as a plant? Make yourself poisonous? I rolfed at that quote. (Roll On Laughing Floor)
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:34 pm

2creator wrote:
Which begs the question, how will you survive as a plant? Make yourself poisonous? I rolfed at that quote. (Roll On Laughing Floor)

poor us if all plants had to do that in order to survive. Plants usually folow a more victory by numbers, i mean since the amount of plants is always far greater then the number of herbivores, the problem doesnt rise. As a plant, the gameplay would have to be different, since a player would die a lot, but in that time seeds for many more plants would rise
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 pm

The Uteen wrote:
2creator wrote:
Ah. I can see that not working.

Every singe time a predator sees you... Wouldn't you get constant on and off music? That just wont work well...

What if you're a plant?

Thrive wrote:
There is sudden silence, as the herbivore slowly creeps up on you... You try to run, but you have no legs! Alas, the vicious herbivore eats you alive! The sad, slow, reminiscent music starts to play and you mourn your poor plant...
Player (It could be you!) wrote:
I'll never forget you! I wish I could see your beautiful leaves and mushroomy taste just one last time. Why do such cruel things have to happen to innocent plants like you!?!? I'm so sorry, there was nothing I could do... The herbivore was too fast with those incredible, evil legs! I love you, alien plant thing without a brain!

I mean, :roll:!

(MEGA roflmao! Strange, creepy player guy person.)

That would not happen, due to the evolutionary and idealogical (spelling?) prerequisites needed to play the sad music.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 6:53 pm

That gives me an idea, actually..

We could have in the later stages [space civ maybe tribe] that the player plays in organism mode as a proper citizen, with a family, job ect so as to create an *emotional bond?* between the player and their organism, so they don't just stay playing in strategy mode...
Back to top Go down
fredpie
Newcomer

Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I don't think we should force the player into entering organism mode, if thats what you're implying. Also, you can enter org. mode from stratedgy mode at any time with any organism in your species.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:43 pm

fredpie wrote:
I don't think we should force the player into entering organism mode, if thats what you're implying. Also, you can enter org. mode from stratedgy mode at any time with any organism in your species.

I beleive you misread what he said. He was saying that we should be assigned an organism that we can jump to at any time, so that we don't just throw our organism into a meat grinder the second we start playing- because it wouldn't just be some random organism, it would be your organism.
Back to top Go down
Waap
Newcomer
Waap

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 4:17 am

That may be so, but this topic is about making the player feel the organism's emotions.

I'm thinking that while in organism mode, something is monitoring your organisms emotions, and changes the music accordingly. There would be rather similar tracks for similar emotions. This would mean that the music for- lets say stress, agitation, and anger would all have different but similar music. The music could be done in a way so that the transition is done smoothly, it's a more slow or whatever change in emotions, and if it's sudden(eg. Something jumps out of the bushes at you and you get a fright. Or something else...), the change would be more sudden and obvious. Maybe for the more subtle(Is that the word?) emotion changes, there could be transition music or something... Yes?
-Waap.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

In addition to music, we could also have the whole screen subtly changing. For example, if you are scared, you see everything darker and larger, if you are angered, you see everything in a slight red hue, ...
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:39 am

Music is a must. Of course people will turn it off, but screw them. On the idea of filtering, i believe we should do it if possible. And by possible i mean possible to do it well.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 12:28 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Of course people will turn it off, but screw them.

Screw 50% of our players? Oh god...

Music is a must, but it should better be combined with something.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:37 pm

De-ja-vu...
I just read the above two posts on 'The Instinct Bar' thread.

I disagree with that, though. Seriously? Screw 50% of our players? Oh god... That includes me.
Huh? I've read that before...

If we're going to make it specialised, why don't we go for 100% realism and make it suited to hardcore players?

Anyway, I think the player will feel emotion for their organism if they want to feel it, even if they have the music turned off.. And the people who choose to have music on wont want to be made to feel emotion for a plant. I don't think I need to quote myself here (do I?)
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:46 pm

The Uteen wrote:
De-ja-vu...
I just read the above two posts on 'The Instinct Bar' thread.

That's me screwing up. I had this thread and the Instinct Bar topic opened in two tabs next to each other, and when I closed the Instinct bar tab, Alaska's post appeared, without any response. So I wrote it again. /facepalm

The Uteen wrote:
If we're going to make it specialised, why don't we go for 100% realism and make it suited to hardcore players?

This is not any specialisation towards hardcore players, this is just giving them features casuals with music already have.

The Uteen wrote:
Anyway, I think the player will feel emotion for their organism if they want to feel it, even if they have the music turned off.. And the people who choose to have music on wont want to be made to feel emotion for a plant. I don't think I need to quote myself here (do I?)

Players will feel emotions more like a close friend of the creature, rather than the organism itself. In situations when the creature should be confused or panicking, players will know exactly what they are doing, and without any "help" in this way, all creatures cotrolled by players will be transofrmed into cold calculating minds.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Did people choose to only read the first half of my post?

If we can add filters, we should. If we can't, we can't. Then music-tuner-offerers will be screwed.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

PostSubject: Horror/Risk of Death   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am

threads merged by ~scio

Okay, so I recently saw a certain movie and then I visited this site and woala, I made this thread. Why did I make this thread? I wanted to know/discuss how will the death of their character impact on the player? How will we make them actually care about their character rather then 'if I make it I win if I dont make it I'll respawn and do it again'?

With this, also, comes the aspect of fear. Exploring a deep dark cave creates fear, in the creature, and, if the game is good, also in the player. Hopefully there will be some awesome creepy music with organs and violins and all that jazz but also, what gameplay aspects will make the player more attached to their character? i mean, if the player wants their character to become rich, all they have to do is volunteer for a dangerous job, which usually pay well. Creating fear within the player will make the game itself seem more realistic. Also war. War is scary in real life [at least from what I've heard]. Few people go in guns blazing [or swords swinging or clubs clubbing or whatever], because it's scary, and dangerous, however in most games I've played everyone goes in guns blazing and either dies and respawns or wins and gets shot in the back by another sniper somewhere. In anycase, I hope I've made my point clear here. As always if I haven't and it isn't clear to you please ask and I'll try to explain it a bit better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?   Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It? Empty

Back to top Go down

Emotion- How Will We Make the Player Feel It?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next