Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Easter eggs: something to laugh at.

Go down 
+24
TheFellowWithTheHat
Oliveriver
Immortal_Dragon
Inca
AwesomeSiebren
P3DR0PS
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
HAL-9000
spacetime_dinosaur
Danul83
Daniferrito
Thriving Cheese
D4RK_VOID
M3rox
alduin2013
ido66667
Theusfilipe
Holomanga
The Uteen
NickTheNick
GamerXA
PTFace
Orygandian2
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think?
Funny biomes are good.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c21%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 21% [ 17 ]
Strange planets are cool.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c28%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 28% [ 23 ]
I like the Race planets.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c13%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 13% [ 11 ]
Scrap all the current concepts and redo the easter eggs. Nice idea though.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c7%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 7% [ 6 ]
I hate all of it. Abandon this and then jump off a cliff onto a soft pillow.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c4%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 4% [ 3 ]
LEAVE. THRIVE. ALONE!
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c6%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 6% [ 5 ]
Blueberry.
Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c21%Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Viewfull?fguid=1049e16a-dab1-102d-a9f3-0030488e168c
 21% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 82

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Orygandian2
Newcomer

Location : In the middle of nowhere, calling for pizza delivery.

Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Empty
PostSubject: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I was looking around some of the more obscure threads and I noticed some people talking about cheating. I was thinking about how it could be a cool idea, but apart from giving god tools and the like to your self, the cheats/de-bugging wouldn't exactly have much use. The god tools could basically cover everything else with a button click. Then I thought about something not covered: easter eggs. Now, I don't want to cause a huge "This player could get something that player can't." problem, but I thought that the player could use a good laugh if they come across these. Now, lets get on with it, shall we?

Funny biomes: Players would never spawn in these biomes, and all would have a 1 out of 120 chance to be created on a planet.

Now, some people might recognize these from the Operation GTNWHOP thread as my (pretty stupid) in-game rewards. Now, don't want to make anyone angry, but this is in a scenario that fits far better. It's not "pay-to-get", but rather "small-chance-to-find". If you don't like it, tell me. So, in the words of a famous red-hatted, Italian, lizard-fighting plumber, LETS-A GO!!!

1. Gold biome: need I say more? (tell me if I do)

2. Silver biome: same thing.

3. Machine biome: Could either have a large spaceship crashed into it, or have machinery worked into the land.

4. Birthstone biomes: Hey, what if you found your birthstone in the form of a biome?

5. Special biome god tool: Allowing you to place any Funny Biomes, it could be an upgrade to a regular biome-placing god tool, if there isn't one already.

Strange planets: These could be planetary versions of the funny biomes, or stranger Race Planets. Strange planets would have a 1 out of 1200 chance of being created, whereas Race Planets would either have fixed areas or a 5 out of 2000 chance of spawning.

1. Gold planet: ...

2. Silver planet: same.

3. Machine planet: Same as the biome, except it can't have a spaceship crashed into it...

4. Birthstone planets: EMERALD PLANETS!!!

Strange planet god tool: Would form a Strange planet. Upgraded from a planet-placing god tool, or from the Funny biome placer.

Race planets: These are a little cooler. They would either be placed in fixed areas on the players map, or have fixed data but would be scattered randomly.

5. Mysterious race: This is a concept I don't want to touch upon to much yet, until I have the final touches on my ideas for a "Mysterious race". Fixed area, probably some sort of "center-of-everything" (Galaxy center, Universe center, etc...).

6. Strange race #1: Same as mysterious race, but would be mentioned more and still have a fixed place.

7. Strange race #2: Wont have a fixed area, mentioned less.

8. UTEEN PLANETS!!!!: I thought it would be hilarious to mention a developer in-game this way, and Uteen seemed perfect for it. Not sure about fixed or not.

Race planet god tool: Would form a Race planet. Trickier to pull off, because of the fixed properties of some races and the fact that it would need to put a certain race on it. Probably still could be done. Upgraded from Strange planet placer.

Tell me what you think. There is also a poll to show how much I should work on certain areas. It may be multiple choice, but I would prefer it if you didn't Spam it by clicking all the choices.

Last edited by Orygandian2 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Messed up poll.)
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 7:13 pm

I like the idea of pure silver/gold biomes, because I guess we can use the explanation that the soil is heavily laced with that mineral which is why it is that color
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't think gold or silver could possibly be common enough to constitute an entire planet made out of it.

Some of these Easter Eggs seem like they would be quite jarring in gameplay. Perhaps more subtle Easter Eggs may be more appropriate.

However i don't really have anything more to add to this subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

GamerXA wrote:
I don't think gold or silver could possibly be common enough to constitute an entire planet made out of it.

Some of these Easter Eggs seem like they would be quite jarring in gameplay. Perhaps more subtle Easter Eggs may be more appropriate.

QFT

Maybe the Earth or something, but nothing so major. A machine biome is theoretically possible however, so long as it is under control of a civilization.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 pm

GamerXA wrote:

QFT

Easter Eggs need to be subtle, yet witty. An entire planet made of gold sounds a bit far fetched and is too easily noticeable. Think of the Minecraft Easter Egg in Skyrim (If youve played that game), it was a pickaxe at the top of the highest mountain in the game and it was called a "Notched Pickaxe". There was nothing that gave away the minecraft reference other than 'Notched'. Thats the kind of Easter Eggs I think we need in the game. Subtle, yet witty.

Also, how are we supposed to have preset easter eggs in a randomly generated and constantly changing galaxy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

QFT

Easter Eggs need to be subtle, yet witty. An entire planet made of gold sounds a bit far fetched and is too easily noticeable. Think of the Minecraft Easter Egg in Skyrim (If youve played that game), it was a pickaxe at the top of the highest mountain in the game and it was called a "Notched Pickaxe". There was nothing that gave away the minecraft reference other than 'Notched'. Thats the kind of Easter Eggs I think we need in the game. Subtle, yet witty.

Also, how are we supposed to have preset easter eggs in a randomly generated and constantly changing galaxy?
Maybe the Sol system could be an Easter egg. That's about all I can think of though.,
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah that is a good one. There could probably be a condition to the galaxy generation that states x (Sol System) must be placed somewhere in the Galaxy. That way, at least, each time it is in a new place, and people wont go on youtube and have videos of "how to find earth". It should also be easy to code.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

QFT

Spore managed it with cube planets, didn't they?

I agree the easter eggs need to be subtle, that's why I fully support the idea of a Uteen Empire easter egg. (Seeing that genuinely made me laugh)
Although, something like that wouldn't seem unnatural to the average player, yet would be appreciated by someone who understands the reference. Referencing members is a great idea, too. I think that is the sort of thing we should include.

EDIT: Sol is good, and would be understood by everyone, we need to include that.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:41 pm

A point about the Sol System Easter Egg (and the Uteen Empire for this matter), would we include the entire evolutionary history of Earth on a track record and have preset evolutions and extinction events. Or would we just recreate Earth as it is today (or 65 mya / 300 mya) and let evolution run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 pm

preset evolution has my vote, maybe we could call it set-evo as a partner of auto-evo. So is our easter egg plan for each developer who wants to participate makes a preset race, or will that be too much?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Gryphogrox wrote:
preset evolution has my vote, maybe we could call it set-evo as a partner of auto-evo. So is our easter egg plan for each developer who wants to participate makes a preset race, or will that be too much?
I don't think it should have to be a race, to many pre-set ones will get repetitive. We could have hidden buttons, a secret link in the credits, type something at the main menu (like the good old days of cheating), etc.

When you encounter each of these things, you could get an achievement named after the player, with all the other players visible but greyed out. Players will have to collect the set!

Music team lead could require activating background music tracks in a certain order.

Humans: Preset history, the auto-evo when encountered?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:46 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Gryphogrox wrote:
I don't think it should have to be a race, to many pre-set ones will get repetitive. We could have hidden buttons, a secret link in the credits, type something at the main menu (like the good old days of cheating), etc.

When you encounter each of these things, you could get an achievement named after the player, with all the other players visible but greyed out. Players will have to collect the set!

Music team lead could require activating background music tracks in a certain order.

Do you mean something like a preset past that ends at now and an auto evo future?
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 am

Gryphogrox wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Gryphogrox wrote:

Do you mean something like a preset past that ends at now and an auto evo future?

He does, and also an auto evo future whenever you encounter them so you can alter the history of them.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 am

Gryphogrox wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Yup, that seems simpler to do.
A pre-set development wouldn't work very well if the player conquered and decimated the population… Unless we planned the player could interact with humans at all, which I don't think would be very fun.

Edit: Holomanga just said it for me.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Maybe an nuclear wasteland earth? It would save a lot of trouble.

I remenber someone saying a simple and good easter egg. When you reach sapience a low voice saying "Wake up". This would be pretty cool.

If we are talking about big easter eggs maybe the Star Wars death star?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 pm

I was thinking a death star as well, but I think I read somewhere those will already be in game. As for a nuclear wasteland Earth, I think encountering humans would be more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Good to see I've finally started something worth talking about.

Now, from what I can see, this is what has been agreed on:

An Uteen nation/planet/system.

The Sol System.

Machine Planet

Now how about something like the Grox from Spore? (I know you know them...999-horse...) Also, I was thinking about achievments, and how they could maybe have an effect on gameplay. I'm thinking of making a new thread and classing them in that thread.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
Good to see I've finally started something worth talking about.

Now, from what I can see, this is what has been agreed on:

An Uteen nation/planet/system.

The Sol System.

Machine Planet

Now how about something like the Grox from Spore? (I know you know them...999-horse...) Also, I was thinking about achievments, and how they could maybe have an effect on gameplay. I'm thinking of making a new thread and classing them in that thread.

No, don't make an achievement thread. We already have one of those.
Before you start new threads you should check to see if they exist
already.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for reminding me that there was an achievments thread already. I saw something about it before, but forgot about it.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm

I can't find the achievments thread. Could someone give me a link?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Here you go!
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 pm

I wonder, Why we are even disscusing it right now?

We have much more importent stuff to talk about, ATM.

It's like talking about credits.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 pm

ido66667 wrote:
I wonder, Why we are even disscusing it right now?

We have much more importent stuff to talk about, ATM.

It's like talking about credits.

Exactly. Good point.
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Good point. We have other things to work on, like the Behavior Editor, unless that's already done.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
Good point. We have other things to work on, like the Behavior Editor, unless that's already done.

Have you seen this?

EDIT: 1234 posts! I'm never going to post ever again, until my next post!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easter eggs: something to laugh at.   Easter eggs: something to laugh at. Empty

Back to top Go down

Easter eggs: something to laugh at.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next