Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Complex Damage System - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Complex Damage System

Go down 
+14
BastianKraft
Pyrotin
Poisson
Waap
Invader
Djohaal
andry796
Noitulove
Albalrogue
Tenebrarum
The Uteen
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Commander Keen
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Complex Damage System - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
A bit late here, but better than never. Thanks for bringing this thread up, Waap.

~sciocont wrote:
For TOs, could we use generalized complex damage? Damage could be dealt out randomly (or specifically, depending on what's giing the damage) to separate "systems" in a TO.
For instance out tank would have the systems
-mobility
-armor
-arms
-electronics
A certain weapon (say and EMP bomb) could be built to target specific typpes of systems. Systems in a TO woul be determined by the FPs in the TO.

No offense Scio, but what would it help? I don't see any way how it could help the player (except simplifying the damage display to general areas like mobility or firepower), and computers are able to handle thousands of units with multiple damagable areas for some time already.

Also note that complex damage is only a factor for battles the player directly participates in. If he's on the other side of the world when the battle is fought, our only chance is to randomize.
Instead of tracking where damage is taken and applying it to parts in the TE, you implify it to if the tech is hit and what it's hit b, and the damage is dealt to those systems accordingly. Just a quick idea.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 am

~sciocont wrote:
Instead of tracking where damage is taken and applying it to parts in the TE, you implify it to if the tech is hit and what it's hit b, and the damage is dealt to those systems accordingly. Just a quick idea.

Yes, that's how it works. But how does it affect gameplay? (except making intricate designs less useful due to less accurate simulation)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Yes, that's how it works. But how does it affect gameplay? (except making intricate designs less useful due to less accurate simulation)
It affects processing more than gameplay- a computer doesn't need to remember the "where" of damage. It neds to know only a few factors.
-the tech took damage
-the tech took damage type X in Y amount
-this reduces system A by B amount

It doesn't need to keep track of every FP or part of the tech and how much damage that has taken. Also, this means you could attack one system in the tech with a specialized weapon to destroy or disarm the tech. It's easier (and cheaper to short-circut an aircaft's computers than to asplode the aircraft.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Do you even read my posts?

Quote :
computers are able to handle thousands of units with multiple damagable areas for some time already

Want an example? Star Ruler, an indie game practically without any optimizations, frequently has more than five thousands units, each simulating complex damage. Possible because it only needs to rewrite some variables in addition to classical HP. Shots will have to raytrace with or without complex damage, and that's the most expensive part of simulating them.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Do you even read my posts?

Quote :
computers are able to handle thousands of units with multiple damagable areas for some time already

Want an example? Star Ruler, an indie game practically without any optimizations, frequently has more than five thousands units, each simulating complex damage. Possible because it only needs to rewrite some variables in addition to classical HP. Shots will have to raytrace with or without complex damage, and that's the most expensive part of simulating them.
I've read it, and I understand your viewpoint. However, I'd like the programming side of things to be as simple as possible so we can reach more players and finish the game faster. We're simulating so much more than just the battle at one time, remember. I realize that shots have to raytrace to see if they contact the mesh of the tech, however, I'm more concerned, processing-wise, about the computer remembering specifically which tread on a tank got hit with a bullet. That seems like too much simulation to me- I think all you should really need to know is if the tank was hit and what it was hit with.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm with Keen. Combat is more complex than it appears.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 am

Thank you, Rex.

Having the game done faster is a valid point, but unless we want to hardcode your system and make simulated damage impossible to do without lots of rewriting in the source code, we will still have to lay basics for it.

On the processing side of things, it isn't that bad. We can ignore small damage (even a thousand of machinegunners is never going to destroy a tank), there's not that much to simulate during the course of a battle (they are going to last a few hours at most), and of course simulating every little thing on the TO would be extreme - just the important things for running it. The point is not in what is simulated, but how it is simulated.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 4:25 am

OK, this topic is getting lost again, but we still haven't settled any solution. Now, I want everyone to say what they think, to vote here.

There are three main options:

1. - Hardcode Scio's system into the game.

Pros - Fastest development
Cons - Implementing complex damage later will require large source code rewrites

2. - Implement complex damage before releasing the game.

Pros - Best possible connection with other parts of the game
Cons - Will delay the game release a bit

3. - Implement Scio's system, lay basics to complex damage and release it as an addon.

Pros - Players will be able to choose, doesnt hurt initial game release much
Cons - Takes the most work in total

I really want everyone to vote on this topic. I want to see your opinion on how should it be developed.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I vote two, because the first will still delay it later, and three takes more work.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Bringing Up The Post (B. U. M. P.)
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I vote for two.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Bumping. I was sure we had more than four users.

Commander Keen wrote:
Did you mean 'Bringing Up My Post'? BUTP?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

My stupidity just doesn't have a limit.

The Uteen wrote:

If no one votes here in a day, I'm going to make a Devblog.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

My stupidity just doesn't have a limit.

The Uteen wrote:

If no one votes here in a day, I'm going to make a Devblog.

Not looking promising, the twenty four hours is almost up. Out of curiosity, I checked how many people have been online since you made that post... It's twenty seven. One ninth of those responded.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm

People just see "Complex damage system" and skip the topic entirely. If a devblog doesn't help here, nothing will.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
People just see "Complex damage system" and skip the topic entirely. If a devblog doesn't help here, nothing will.

... ...

P.S. My vote goes with yours Keen. Complex Damage from the start.
Back to top Go down
Pyrotin
Newcomer
Pyrotin

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 am

I vote option 2! The include complex damage one.

Also, Just to make sure...
Will the game be released piece by piece, like it was first said, or all at once?
Because all at once seems like it would take a bit too long, and releasing bit by bit would get us more attention.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Pyrotin wrote:
I vote option 2! The include complex damage one.

Also, Just to make sure...
Will the game be released piece by piece, like it was first said, or all at once?
Because all at once seems like it would take a bit too long, and releasing bit by bit would get us more attention.
Thank you.
Bit by bit.
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am

I also have to vote for option 2
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 am

I don't know if this vote is still up, but to be honest I'd prefer to just vote for option 1... because I'm just of the opinion that Thrive isn't a standard Strategy game, and it could have different technology limits as a result... and I think that it's safer to go with the less intensive option first, and then when the game has all of it's other intensive features finished, it still runs exceptionally, the smart complexity can be added. Besides, as far as Thrive as an evolution game is concerned, it should be a higher priority to focus on other aspects of the game rather than military strategy...for now. I'm not saying it isn't important- this decision could directly impact the 'fun' of the strategy mode, but at the very least it wouldn't hurt to get the game much more publicity faster, and then code it later.
If, however, everyone is of the opinion that without the smartfire code the publicity would result in negative feedback, then it would most certainly be worth the wait. I leave it up to you, since I'm outvoted either way.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Zetal wrote:
I don't know if this vote is still up, but to be honest I'd prefer to just vote for option 1... because I'm just of the opinion that Thrive isn't a standard Strategy game, and it could have different technology limits as a result... and I think that it's safer to go with the less intensive option first, and then when the game has all of it's other intensive features finished, it still runs exceptionally, the smart complexity can be added. Besides, as far as Thrive as an evolution game is concerned, it should be a higher priority to focus on other aspects of the game rather than military strategy...for now. I'm not saying it isn't important- this decision could directly impact the 'fun' of the strategy mode, but at the very least it wouldn't hurt to get the game much more publicity faster, and then code it later.
If, however, everyone is of the opinion that without the smartfire code the publicity would result in negative feedback, then it would most certainly be worth the wait. I leave it up to you, since I'm outvoted either way.
The thing I personally am afraid of isn't that it needs focus now nearly as much as it is that complex damage will be very difficult to implement later on if we don't include it, if only partially, from the start.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Zetal wrote:
The thing I personally am afraid of isn't that it needs focus now nearly as much as it is that complex damage will be very difficult to implement later on if we don't include it, if only partially, from the start.

Right- and I'm not disagreeing with that fact, only saying that if we can't use it, it would effectively have just been a waste of the programmers time. And I don't think anyone wants that. Implementing something later on, albeit difficult, is of much less concern to me personally than actually getting the basis of the game functioning.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Don't worry, we don't have to implement the complex damage right from the start. Something extremely simple (a hitpoint system) could be used at first and then replaced when we start progressing further.
Back to top Go down
Zetal
Newcomer
Zetal

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Don't worry, we don't have to implement the complex damage right from the start. Something extremely simple (a hitpoint system) could be used at first and then replaced when we start progressing further.

That would be much more acceptable, I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complex Damage System   Complex Damage System - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Complex Damage System
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next